planning next project (cross-posted in diesel/24v) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I currently have a 91’ PZJ77 which I’m 80% done with (for the time being). The intent with this truck is to get it safe and reliable while leaving room for future work to be done with my son (who’s currently 2 years-old). I have a road map of future work; stand-build a modern 1HZ wired to early 90’s spec, convert the front to coils, and a few other items. Alias, my wife decided to get pregnant again and we now have a wonderful little girl who is now 10 months. The 70 is, and will be intended for my son and I don’t want to neglect quality dedicated time to my daughter as she grows up.
I’ve started considering different options for a project for her and me to share. I’m torn between two platforms, the 100 and 200 series. Currently I’m leaning towards a 100 series with the intent to swap in a 1HZ with a solid axel (HZJ105-esq). Essentially make it a complementary truck to the 70.
However, I’ve started toying with the idea of a 200 series with a 1VD swap and going austere with the electrical bits. That said, there isn’t much literature out there about it. As far as I can tell, it isn’t a realistic option due to the conflicting OBD systems. Is this true? Is a project of that magnitude too huge for even well-established Cruiser shops, or is it something that isn’t considered because the costs don’t outweigh the benefits? I would have assumed that by now someone would have tried it were possible. Costs of the motors are north of $10k new (+shipping) and the 200’s are starting to come down in price (lets be honest, I’d be looking for a good body/blown motor auction 200).
Thanks in advance for entertaining my day dream.

Depending on the state, legalities are nominal. I happen to be in a none emissions state. So not worried about that. I too have done swaps (JDM SR20 x2, RB25, and D16ZC).

But the electrical is what worries me. I just don't know enough about toyota diesels yet to run standalone engine managment nor do I know of any companies who would make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom