Piston Pin Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OKMike

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy Guys:

I recently took the block, crank, and head of my 2F from my FJ40 to a machine shop to have them machined.

The machinist had to slightly enlarge the cylinders. Based on his measurements I ordered a new set of pistons from SOR (.040 over). When putting the new pistons on the connecting rods my machinist noticed that one of the piston pins was different from the other 5 (slightly fatter; slightly longer). He said it would have to be honed to fit inside the piston. I figured it was a fluke so I ordered another .040 piston from SOR thinking it would come with the right pin and I could return the odd one but the new one also came with the same fatter, longer pin.

Dumb question: do all six pistons need to come from the same manufacturer? IOW, If SOR can't make this right can just order an .040 from someone else and solve the problem? I am going to call SOR and chat with them but wanted to pick some brains here first in case there's something I don't understand.

Thanks, Guys.

Mike

If the wrist pin is a different size than it would possible weigh different which would throw off the engine balance. Have the shop double check the weight of rod (will also need to be honed) piston and wrist pin. If same as the rest than no problem otherwise all parts should match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom