Pismo Turf-N-Surf 2019 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SoCal FZJ80

Happy to be Alive!
Threads
Website
www.extremelandcruiser.com
Thread Start

Is anyone going? If so, who are you bringing and what are you driving?

In the past I end up just next to the main camp on the south side so its easy to walk over to the main fire circle since usually end up arriving rolling solo. Ive been going since 2008, so got kind of used to hanging out with the CenCal crew. I actually joined SoCal cruisers after meeting Joe Roy at Pismo in 2008. Ironically, just after joining in 2009 we moved to the High Desert... made club meetings hard to make.

We typically aim for south of Pole 6 as well. It's nice to get just far enough away but close enough to walk.

Our planning thread is here... Pismo Turf & Surf November 1-3

Frank

I will be there. Dragging along my buddy who isn't a landcruiser guy. He will be dragging his manx like beach buggy behind his Tacoma and I will be in my 100 with small camping trailer behind it. My second time there and looking forward to it. Planning to arrive late Thursday, do some fishing off the pier Friday and dunes shenanigans on Saturday.

I will be heading up tomorrow. Look for me around d pole 6 in a tan 60 series! Should have our Beach N Toys flag as well!

I will be either taking my white 100 or Red Dodge Dually - both have marine corps stickers/plates on them.
If anyone wants to buy the billet tailgate handles, I'll have them with me...

20191101_161349.jpg

Great to meet you both on the highway and on the beach. We had a blast today.

20191103_165352.jpg

Well another Turf & Surf is in the books. I have a load of pictures to post. A quick recap....

We (me, my 8 year old, 5 year old, and 19 month old) left Friday morning and were rolling by 9AM which is about the perfect time to depart and miss all traffic. We got the B&T flag from Cruiser Bauers and were on our way. Around Agoura Hills I spotted an awesome Blue fj40 which I pointed out to the boys. We caravan'd for a bit until one of the tiny bladders topped out and we had to make a bathroom stop. The next day at the poker run lineup I spotted the 40 and swung over to say hi and met Otis!
20191101_085614.jpg

One thing I did differently this year is get one of the Luv2Camp trailers. Am I glad I did it? Yes. However, if this was an example of their fleet, manage your fit and finish expectations because it was fairly run down. It was missing curtains that would have been great for privacy and sleeping in. The shower shot sideways though the missing on/off valve on the shower head. There was a broken towel rack, the only one in fact, with the broken end just sitting on the ground. That said, with three little kids, it made cold mornings so much more bearable. Being able to prepare food indoors and contain the 19 month old was golden. We ran out the water tank just as we were cleaning
20191101_161349.jpg
up to leave so it had just enough.

Our camp ended up consisting of me, Tyler, Outsane, Phulcum, and BMinSD.

Anyway, Friday after arriving we just had a chill night. I made burgers for the kids.
20191101_190611.jpg

Saturday the kids were up good an early as usual (6AMish) and I got them fed and ready. Phulcrum showed up around 9AM and we got ready for the day. The poker run was a blast. We came back to camp for a bit to eat and chill then went to the jumping contest. I had the bulk of the kids with me and they just went berserk after each attempt. I hit the jump about 5X and then decided to give the poor truck a rest. It does make me want to upgrade my suspension though, jumping is sooooooooooo fun! I wish I could have hung around the main camp fire but we were fairly far and with he kiddos asleep needed to stay close. Even if I had remembered the baby monitor it would have been out of range. Scotch and cigars would have to suffice.

We weren't sure where to line up for the poker run so we lined up and everyone just filled in over the next hour.

20191102_100750.jpg

The kids did their thing while the overall group trickled up the hill for the group photo. Permit me quick digression. Taking 3 kids camping by yourself is pretty hard and exhausting. When my middle kiddo was Brennan's age I took him for the first time as well. Both times, however, turned out to be very rewarding from a father's perspective. Baby's and toddlers always want to be closer to mom in general. In both cases after the trip they are now running to dad. It makes for good bonding time.
20191102_105556.jpg

20191102_105611.jpg

20191102_105713.jpg

20191102_110319.jpg

Some more of Saturday's antics...

IMG_0379.JPG

Tim

Outsane

The night ended with... wait for it... AMAZING FOOD.

20191102_183543.jpg

20191102_183840.jpg

20191102_183916.jpg

Sunday we decided to the do the Pozo run. We had always left Sunday so never made it. This year we decided to stick around until Monday which turned out to be awesome. Anyway, we wheeled to Pozo and had lunch with Seth and the organizers and headed back to the beach.

This little guy just couldn't wait to get rolling. He was in the truck an hour ahead of time.

20191103_083639.jpg

20191103_121157.jpg

The wheeling wasn't hard and all of the water crossings except for one were dried up but it was very scenic. It only takes an hour to get there by pavement but more like 2 by dirt. In the future we might just head there by pavement to get the kids fed a bit closer to when their bellies say it's lunch time and maybe wheel back to the beach.

20191103_123704.jpg

I have to tell you, the Oceano SVRA is completely different on an off weekend Sunday night. There were three other camps in sight that were hundreds of yards away. It was peaceful, you just listened to the ocean. And Monday, leaving around 9AM makes for a light traffic on the drive home.

20191103_163533.jpg

And Monday, well that was a rap! All packed up and on the road a little after 9AM.

20191104_090520.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom