Picture of valve (1 Viewer)

middlecalf

SILVER Star

I’m looking for anyone who has a picture of one of their valves (esp. the domed oil shield) that resembles this image in my Sept ‘66 Toyota F-Engine Repair Manual. I haven’t seen one anywhere, so curious if these actually exist.
64B3F982-D445-41EE-8891-B9F9B7C67F8C.jpeg

middlecalf

SILVER Star

Ding ding ding! Awesome @Citrus Cruiser ! 51224 so that’s a Dec 1965 1F head, correct? Is that it’s original condition, and if not, did you hunt down those oil shields?

middlecalf

SILVER Star

Wonder if those shields are available and if those retainers and locks are unique for them? Here’s my ‘64 motor that was apparently moded to have inside-the-spring umbrella seals added (and internal spring deleted but don’t know if the remaining springs were upgraded to account for the change in spring dynamics). I’m assuming those are the original retainers and locks (?). My thought on those inside-the-spring seals is oil is still able to get into the spring base and into the cylinders. The outside-the-spring shields make more sense in the overall design.
IMG_2897.jpg
IMG_2893.JPG

on edit - I don’t think these were modified per info below

Last edited:

middlecalf

SILVER Star

@Citrus Cruiser so far yours is the only picture of the early valve train with the oil shields in tact! Not even catalogs (e.g. SOR) show them. And even though there’s been some success from folks swapping out the o-ring rubber seal with the umbrella rubber seal of later F engines (and 2Fs I think), those shields look to be essential in keeping the oil out of the valves. (To use the umbrella seals the inner spring needs to go away, so there’s a long term spring issue that might become a factor). Those rubber seals wipe the valve shafts, but there’s still oil pooling potential at the base of the valve seat. I guess the community has accepted the increased oil burn and bit of smoking from not having those oil shields in place. I can’t imagine that toyota was behind this but maybe there’s some service bulletin somewhere out there that talks this.

Looks like I’m in this boat, as I doubt there’s any of those shields floating around. I hope I can get the smoking down to something like the occasional puff. :(

@Citrus Cruiser so far yours is the only picture of the early valve train with the oil shields in tact! Not even catalogs (e.g. SOR) show them. And even though there’s been some success from folks swapping out the o-ring rubber seal with the umbrella rubber seal of later F engines (and 2Fs I think), those shields look to be essential in keeping the oil out of the valves. (To use the umbrella seals the inner spring needs to go away, so there’s a long term spring issue that might become a factor). Those rubber seals wipe the valve shafts, but there’s still oil pooling potential at the base of the valve seat. I guess the community has accepted the increased oil burn and bit of smoking from not having those oil shields in place. I can’t imagine that toyota was behind this but maybe there’s some service bulletin somewhere out there that talks this.

Looks like I’m in this boat, as I doubt there’s any of those shields floating around. I hope I can get the smoking down to something like the occasional puff. :(
If I recall correctly, the inner spring is there to prevent valve float. When I sent the cylinder head to the machine shop, the shop said that there are no valve stem seals but instead uses o-rings as a seal.
1598202061083.png

middlecalf

SILVER Star

Thanks @Citrus Cruiser that‘s what I thought.

@Cruiser_Nerd posted this in the cross-post to this thread in the 25 owners section. It’s from an FJ25 manual, so that’s early F motors.
FDDE983D-AB96-45F7-B3ED-BB35B3607F34.jpeg

Your motor is‘67 or so, so that’s a bit later, but still early. Now I’m wondering if the early F motors were single springed, with umbrella type seals, and sometime after ‘64 (which is my motor, pics above of single springed valve with umbrella seal) but before Sept. ‘66 (date of my F engine repair manual) toyota switched to dual springs and o-ring gasket in the groove above the spring cap, no other seal, as shown in your pic above. But still called it an F motor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom