Picking up your new trailer from a military base (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I won a auction through GL for a M101A1. I just got word to come get it. It is a distance so i don't want to go twice. I've got my pintle. Plan on getting some mag lights from HF. Will bring some duct tape, wire and basic hand tools. Any other suggestions? How long did the process take from getting to the gate to leaving the gate?

Never done this, but have some experience as a former mil dependent with such things.

Make sure you have all your paperwork in order. That's the first thing they'll want to see when you present at the gate. They'll put you through whatever access control procedures they have for off-base visitors, plus will check to see that you have whatever paperwork is needed by the disposing agency. Whatever insurance and other documentation required to take things back out the gate onto the public road in the jurisdiction you're in once you leave the base will also be checked.

In fact, I would call the SPs, MPs or whatever security is involved and verify things with them, even after getting direction from the disposing agency. If you can't get on the base, you can't pick up your prize.

congrats

did you figure out what your state DMV wants you to have in terms of license to drive on public roads?

(is it obvious this thing is even towable? they usually sell them as is without guarantee, as in bring your own flat bed...)

In fact, I would call the SPs, MPs or whatever security is involved and verify things with them, even after getting direction from the disposing agency. If you can't get on the base, you can't pick up your prize.

Good advice. Track down the number for the base/post operator and get in touch with the MPs and ask the question. It should be as easy as presenting a government issued ID and a proof of purchase for the item you bought. How long it will take will usually depend on how long the line is.

Get a trailer for your trailer. The base won't let you tow it without the state approved inspection, license tags and insurance. The state won't issue until the see it so you have a catch-22.

Get a trailer for your trailer. The base won't let you tow it without the state approved inspection, license tags and insurance. The state won't issue until the see it so you have a catch-22.

Depends on the state. I bought our M101 in Iowa. Iowa has no plate requirements for a trailer in transport that small and there's no title either. They were perfectly happy with me towing it anywhere in Iowa I wanted to. But I went ahead and spent $5 (IIRC) on a paper temp transport plate, so I was good once I hit the state line to get home and start the paperwork there.

So how easy it is to get off-base will depend on what jurisdiction the base is in. But I agree that in many places, circumstances will require that the trailer be flat-bedded off base because of local requirements, so be prepared for that if necessary.

Putting it on a trailer is very prudent. At the very least there probably will not be a spare tire.

If you tow it, get a set of magnetic lights. Don't try to use the trailer lights.

This is intrastate so I only have to worry about 1. The GL guy said no problem hitching it. I have a valid plate from my other trailer, will bring that along. just in case. There really isn't temp tags for trailers, just motorized vehicles. Special purpose trailer do not need to be registered, so that is an iffy question. I will bring my air tank but will not have a spare. Hopefully the yard guy will be helpfull in telling me the tire conditions. They look new so I am not worried. Since they are 8 lug wheels, I could always find something.
Pre 9/11, I spent time on lots of bases and they all are different, but I never had any work at being unhelpful, so I expect the biggest issue being the weather.

if you speak as you type, you WILL BE profiled as a non-native English speaker, which will add hours to your pickup. Bring everything you have that shows proof of residence and legal authority to be in this country.

the yard guy will Not be helpful: thats not in his job description.

and you just admitted to commiting larceny w/the plate swap, way to go.

Sorry to be so negitive, but we've still got folks getting killed in a foreign country, if you haven't noticed. How do we know you aren't intenting to load yr trailer w/ ANFO and blow summa us away????

WTF????

Party too hard last night?

WTF????

Party too hard last night?

I kinda have to agree with you on this. I really did not see any problems with the previous post. Swapping plates on a trailer isnt that bad if its what gets you home. The plate is still registered in the OP's name.

Swapping plates on a trailer isnt that bad if its what gets you home. The plate is still registered in the OP's name.

This is absolutely a matter of STATE law. For example, here in Connecticut, misuse of plates (swapping) is much worse than unregistered and will probably yield you a court date and a hefty tow bill, rather than a written warning for something minor like towing an unregistered trailer (trailers here do not need to be titled or insured).

The original post was about pickup at the base. This is also specific to each facility. There is a whole section on the Steel Soldier forum regarding this and pickup at specific facilities.

I've only done it once (Mechanicsburg, PA) and it was a breeze.........if you are prepared. All the information on the specific facility is provided through links on GL. Have all your documentation in order, if you have a passenger, they must also have all the same documentation (and may also need to be declared when you make your appointment). Expect to have your vehicle searched...........ie. make sure it is completely clean. Mine was not searched, but other individuals just attract attention. ;) Arrive early, at least an hour before your appointment, to get access to the base and arrive at DRMO on time. You have an appointment for a reason, you'll be on a list at base security. You and the vehicle will be issued a pass. Just because you have an appointment does not mean you will be loaded at that time. I had to visit several offices/locations on the base before arriving at the loadout location. Do not be in a rush or expect an in/out experience and you won't be disappointed. I waited roughly an hour after checking in with the GL personnel near appointment time, they were cool in that they let us roam the yard to check the future sale items, and find our unit. From arrival to departure I think it was around 2 1/2 hours.

Sure loadout personnel are helpful, they picked up the trailer with a lift, set it exactly where I wanted it on the car trailer, collected a signature and moved on to the next rig. I would not expect more.

As far as towing it out.............if you would do the same buying a car or trailer from a complete stranger who can tell you nothing about it's operating condition, sure, go for it. :meh: Personally, for me a car trailer was a smart choice.

Make sure you have your proof of insurance on your tow vehicle. That and whatever necessary purchase paperwork there is and I'd think you should be ok.

Been on Camp Pendleton out here in the PRK and valid DL along with proof of insurance is all that's needed. They inspected my truck and the boy scout trailer I was towing one time, but that's usually random.

Good luck and congrats.

Make sure you have your proof of insurance on your tow vehicle. That and whatever necessary purchase paperwork there is and I'd think you should be ok.

Been on Camp Pendleton out here in the PRK and valid DL along with proof of insurance is all that's needed. They inspected my truck and the boy scout trailer I was towing one time, but that's usually random.

Good luck and congrats.

Wow, memoriessss. The last time I was on Camp Pendleton I was violated by a female MP. Ahhh, what a night. :D

I picked up my trailer at Wright-Patterson in Dayton and had no issues at all. I don't think I actually ever set foot on the base itself since I don't recall going through a secured gate, and never laid eyes on any military personel. The people I dealt with were all civies whose job it was to dispose of equipment deemed surplus.

I came prepared with insurance docs, picture ID, blah blah and no one asked to see anything other than paper work specifically related to what I bought and that was it. I hooked it up to my truck, slapped on my mag lights and away I went. I opted to argue my lack of license plate based on the bill of sale papers I had rather than try to explain why I was using a plate registered to another trailer, but the situation never arose. I've always gone this route and have never had any trouble whatsoever.

DMV allows you to transfer plate to a new vehicle when you first purchase it before you get it done proper at dmv. So I am legal doing this. I currently have 3 trailers and all are registered even though 1 has not been on the road in 2 years and another in 1 year.
Thanks to those who were helpful sharing their experience.

Each military base is different due to their location and components at the base.
I just picked up a M105A2 yesterday from Ft. Riley, KS. I've picked up from them before. No problem. Just show my dl at the gate, go in, meet up with Gov't Liquidation personnel, check in with them (more stringent with badge and id verification), follow them out to the trailer, hook up, pull out, check out and leave. Done.
Pulled fine behind my F350 some 160 miles back home. Each state is different as well for requirements on their vehicles and trailers.

Resurrecting this old thread instead of starting a new one. I won this baby today:
M101A2.jpg

M101A2. I'm going to get it next week. I will have the paperwork worked out, but need some recommendations on what I need to pick it up. My truck is a 2002 100, lifted about 2" with 866 springs, standard rear hitch. What size pintle hitch, and do I need an adjustable mount to get it to ride level? I have local access to Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, and Amazon Prime (if I get on it quickly).

Also, has anyone quickly done the 24 to 12 volt light swap and used an adapter to use the existing taillights, or should I get temp ones from Harbor Freight?
Military trailer harness adapter

Any tips appreciated. Just trying to get it home.

Thanks,

Uhaul is where I grabbed my magnetic tow lights. They seemed reasonably well built, and were only 25 bucks.
Your state may have a 1 time use permit specifically for moving a vehicle that is not yet registered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom