Passenger side air bag cover deformation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone noticed the passenger side air bag cover starting to sag in the middle and long ridges about an inch in on both sides running front to back (of vehicle) poping up? I was able to look at a couple other fj's and noticed it slightly on them, but nothing like mine.

I've had my truck for two whole days, and it is doing it. Looks like a bad design.

Michael

I'll have to go look, but I never noticed anything yet. Mines almost 2 weeks old here now.

drfdog said:
Has anyone noticed the passenger side air bag cover starting to sag in the middle and long ridges about an inch in on both sides running front to back (of vehicle) poping up? I was able to look at a couple other fj's and noticed it slightly on them, but nothing like mine.

Pics please...

Ok I see it on mine now too. I am wondering if the thing is packed so tight, that it is causing stress on the hatch.

In any case, if it opens while I am driving and spits out an un-inflated air bag it could cause an accident. I wonder if Toyota is reading this post?

:D

Usually the panels are actually velcro'd into place. They do need to be flexible to let the bag explode.
Maybe the sheer size of the panel is causing sags? Pictures would be helpful.

Also, you can post a suggestion in the "techie ideas for the FJ" sticky at the top of the forum.

FirstToy said:
Usually the panels are actually velcro'd into place. They do need to be flexible to let the bag explode.
Maybe the sheer size of the panel is causing sags? Pictures would be helpful.

Also, you can post a suggestion in the "techie ideas for the FJ" sticky at the top of the forum.

In my case, the panel does not sag at all, just the two ridges appearing. I have no idea, but I am sure it will come to light eventually what the problem is. I will try to take some pictures and post them.

:bounce2:

Mine is doing it as well. I wonder if the panel just gets too hot in the sun, and deforms. Here is a pic. You can see the lines that go front to back. Might be a better pic if it wasn't so dusty, and muddy.:D
DSC00235.JPG

It's also sagging in between the two red circles. Just can't really see it in the pic.

thanks for the pic Runner Ryan,
I've seen that b/f in other cars. The cover 'drapes' over the armature underneath. Obviously, the softer material sags due to heat & uv as there is nothing to support it.

I'm sure it is annoying in a brand new vehicle... fwiw, I haven't seen it get horribly sagged on any car... just thinking but maybe they had to make it thin for cost issues and so the airbag can easily blow thru it...

Check out the 4Runner dash. The passenger airbag is invisible- no lines or groves, a more expensive process I'm sure.

Mine looks just like that too...I hadn't really identified it as a problem yet because it seems like it's always been that way. I'll keep an eye on it and if it seems to progress, will take it to my dealer for warranty repair.

The problem is Heather that even taking it to the dealer at this point is almost useless - they will install another of the same. Until Toyota offers a replacement that this doesn't happen to, you're stuck.

LandCruisers4Life said:
The problem is Heather that even taking it to the dealer at this point is almost useless - they will install another of the same. Until Toyota offers a replacement that this doesn't happen to, you're stuck.

Yeah, I hear ya on that. But like you say, nothing really we can do. So why not keep taking it back to be fixed until they come up with a better solution? I think that if enough people continue to return for the same warranty repair, Toyota will have no other choice than to replace it with something that won't warp.

k9crazy said:
Yeah, I hear ya on that. But like you say, nothing really we can do. So why not keep taking it back to be fixed until they come up with a better solution? I think that if enough people continue to return for the same warranty repair, Toyota will have no other choice than to replace it with something that won't warp.

Yeah that is true too.

How is your MPG with your modifications by the way? I already get crap for gas mileage. Then again I probably don't shift at 'optimum' for the best mpg either :D

LandCruisers4Life said:
Yeah that is true too.

How is your MPG with your modifications by the way? I already get crap for gas mileage. Then again I probably don't shift at 'optimum' for the best mpg either :D

Honestly I am not sure...I need to get all my receipts into my MPG spreadsheet and figure it out. Yes, I know I am a dork.

There are two tiny ridges in my cover, but honestly I would have never noticed it if not for this thread. If that is the only thing "wrong" with my truck I'll be pretty happy.

k9crazy said:
Honestly I am not sure...I need to get all my receipts into my MPG spreadsheet and figure it out. Yes, I know I am a dork.

That's awesome :D

Mine is sucking gas like crazy but I just can't seem to stop driving it. I figure I'll drive it a lot to break it in good, and then ease up. Ummm.. well, maybe not haha.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom