Panhard/Rear Control Arm Bushing replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
finally got around to replacing the bushings in my front and rear panhards and rear upper and lower control arms (and the rubber in both sway bars). she's my DD i really can't be down without her for more than a day (hopefully) and contemplated having someone else do it. but after getting a few quotes, and unable to iron out the logistics, i found a 12-ton press from harbor freight for $110 and decided to try to do it myself.
(pic one is a view of the press i used)
after a few days of PB blaster i decided to try the front panhard first. turning the wheel to the right gives you enough clearance to get a wrench (22mm) or socket on both front bolts. definitely need a breaker bar/pipe to get those loose.
press 1.jpg
press 3.jpg
press 10.jpg

more

i used the press to push out the center out of the old bushing first, the used a punch to "loosen" the collar of the old bushing. i found a pipe coupler that was slighly larger than the bushing i was pushing in, and used that under the arm after not having much luck with the supplied base.
press 2.jpg
press 4.jpg
press 6.jpg

more

after experience, i found using the slee front control arm press over the new bushing, with the larger pipe coupler underneath the arm as a support was the best and safest way for me to get it done. the last picture shows the tool that makes this job work. i got it at harbor freight as well for like $5. IMO, it would be near impossible without this tool.
i wouldn't consider myself more than a 1:banana: guy, so i thought i'd post this just to let whoever might be contemplating it, that's it's doable and not really all that difficult.
hope this helps.
-blumer
p.s. my truck rides a lot better (but still shakes at ~65-70mph!!:bang:)
press 9.jpg
press 7.jpg
press 11.jpg

If those are the OEM press plates that came with the HF press, replace them as they are cast iron and can/will shatter and going airborne with authority.... (ok so it might not happen with the 12 ton)

yeah, they are the ones that came with the press. thanks for the heads-up. i don't think i had the press near its max, but even still, it takes a good bit of pressure to get those old ones out so i'll look into changing out those plates. any suggestions on what kind of plates/material to get?

Hey Guys,

I have just done mine as well (Fr/Rr control arms and both pan-hards), as long as you have a decent workshop press and suitably sized range of adapters it isn't too hard to pull off. Wouldn't bother trying to do front control arms with anything other than heavy duty press... tried with our small shop press and wouldn't move a mm, a bit of a pain when the vehicle is on chassis stands with the arms off!

Cheers.

i second that with the front control arms. i did those on a much bigger press (>20 ton IIRC) at a friend's shop back home. not sure if that HF 12-ton would've pulled it off, but it worked great for the panhards and the rears.

Thanks for the photos! I'm a 1/2-banana worker at this point so it's good to learn how this is done and that it's not too terribly challenging.

The stealership told me today my worn front panhard bushing meant I need a new front panhard rod AND bushing; I think they were too lazy to remove the bushing? (plus more $ for them in parts)
Oh and their Master Tech said the LC only has a front panhard, not a rear but I knew from this forum it has a rear too... WTHeck?? :rolleyes:

Yeah no doubt, pretty scary stuff!

I am interested in know how everything went back together ? Did everything fit back together easily?

Reason I ask is I am in the middle of an axle swap and most of my arms and panards were a really bitch to get aligned.

Also, if your truck has rust this job sucks. Spray all the nuts and bolts with penetrant a week prior. Also invest in a propane torch. Heat the bolts and nuts up and then use a breaker. This makes life much easier. Make sure you use anti seize when you reassemble.

More infos

finally got around to replacing the bushings in my front and rear panhards and rear upper and lower control arms (and the rubber in both sway bars).

Where did you source those bushings from? Could you post part numbers and prices, please.

Just curious, how many miles on the 80?

Akella a member here had the best prices.

I am interested in know how everything went back together ? Did everything fit back together easily?

Reason I ask is I am in the middle of an axle swap and most of my arms and panards were a really bitch to get aligned.

Also, if your truck has rust this job sucks. Spray all the nuts and bolts with penetrant a week prior. Also invest in a propane torch. Heat the bolts and nuts up and then use a breaker. This makes life much easier. Make sure you use anti seize when you reassemble.

The HF 12 ton press will do the bushings no problem. I have done 2 sets of control arms.

As far as doing the axle swap. I'll give you some tips. Get a furniture dolly and put the axle on it with the control arms installed. Push it under the truck then bolt it to the frame mounted control arm mounts.

Then install the pan hard bar to the frame and then the axle. You can us a ratchet strap to hep align it and push it over while still on the dolly. I have done this with a completely assembled axle by myself. Get a buddy to help you lift it off the dolly or just lift one side off at a time and put it on low jack stands.

Its actually pretty easy. From there install your springs ect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom