Painting over rattle can primer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My hood was painted by the PO. About 1.5 years ago the clear started coming off in big sheets and is almost all off. I wont have time to paint it until the fall because i will be traveling for work (with the cruiser). I am getting really nervous that i will start getting just on it with just the color and no clear.

Would it be a good idea to wipe it down with MEK and spray a coat of rattle can primer on it? Will that offer any real protection? But more importantly will that complicate things when painting in the future? Right now i have a really nice smooth surface to paint. It only has a few little spots of cleat left that i figure i could get off. Then I figure all it would need is a good wet sand and clean before paint. I just dont want to further complected things by putting rattle can on it.

I wouldn't do a thing unless it kept me up at night, then I might wash and wax it. From now till fall probably the worst that will happen is the paint will fade a little more in areas without clear.

I would leave it alone till you're ready to do it right, the spray can primer is sometimes less adhesive and can create issues later. I would not wax it as getting wax off of the surface would make life more difficult later too. The base coat will keep your metal protected but will fade quicker (probably not noticeable in the span of a year).

There really isn't any need to do anything to it until you are ready this fall. I will say this though, rattle can primer will work fine if prepped correctly. We did all the prep and rattle can primer on a F350 before taking to a auto paint shop to have it sprayed. The shop owner was impressed when he began sanding it and said it was good primer. That was 4 years ago, still looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom