Paint Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm building a trailer right now and am getting close to the point I will need to paint the frame (and later some of the aluminum skin/sealed wood) . In the past I've rattle canned everything, but figuring its time to look into something a little more professional and durable.

I'm not looking for a show finish by any stretch, but something that will hold up well to abuse.

At the moment I am thinking I will invest in a couple HVLP guns and spray an epoxy primer on the bare metal then top coat.

Looking for recommendations on where to source quality paint in Vic, or suggestions on brands/techniques/experience.

Cheers

I'd suggest marine water based paint, applied with a roller and a brush. Probably a good idea to prime the
bare metal, I've used Tremclad on my trailer. Marine paint for the wood. It will last a lot longer and you can
put it on pretty thick. I rebuilt my trailer in '88, and replaced the wood about 4-5 years ago. The part with the
double floor looked new inside. It had been sitting outside in Ladysmith since ~'96

I used Cloverdale's "Maintenance & Marine Enamel" that is self-priming on my last Cruiser "restoration." It worked amazingly to be honest. I did paint it at this time of the year and thinned it 20% with an HVLP and it sat down very nicely. I will be using the same product again when I resplash my current truck probably later this year. You need a commercial account to purchase this product from Cloverdale, and although it says that it does not need to be thinned, it does, and it's okay.

This product is oil based.

Cheers!

http://www.cloverdalepaint.com/docs...aintenance/cloverdale-tds-74903b.pdf?sfvrsn=2

I used Cloverdale's "Maintenance & Marine Enamel" that is self-priming on my last Cruiser "restoration." It worked amazingly to be honest. I did paint it at this time of the year and thinned it 20% with an HVLP and it sat down very nicely. I will be using the same product again when I resplash my current truck probably later this year. You need a commercial account to purchase this product from Cloverdale, and although it says that it does not need to be thinned, it does, and it's okay.

This product is oil based.

Cheers!

http://www.cloverdalepaint.com/docs...aintenance/cloverdale-tds-74903b.pdf?sfvrsn=2
I read your build thread before, but just reread most of it to see your experience with that paint. It looks like a good option for me. Seems like once you got it thinned and the gun dialed in it went down alot smoother? I know you sold the truck, but if it seemed durable enough Im probably going to give this route a go. Any suggestions on a gun? We're you happy in the end with the 1.4 tip?

2nd Q; what were you using for the asphalt coating in the wheel wells. I'll have some wells to spray too.

Thanks

I read your build thread before, but just reread most of it to see your experience with that paint. It looks like a good option for me. Seems like once you got it thinned and the gun dialed in it went down alot smoother? I know you sold the truck, but if it seemed durable enough Im probably going to give this route a go. Any suggestions on a gun? We're you happy in the end with the 1.4 tip?

2nd Q; what were you using for the asphalt coating in the wheel wells. I'll have some wells to spray too.

Thanks

Yeah, once thinned it went from a 2" fan to about a 6-8" fan. I could have possibly even gone further to try and get up to a 12" fan, but felt that the risk of getting more runs would increase, so I just kept it at 20% thinned.

I forget what tip is on the gun, but whatever it came with is what I used. I feel it was pretty big. The coverage went very nicely and I just kept "the wet" moving and overlapping and it stuck like glue and only ran in one place IIRC.

That Cloverdale product is what is used on dumpsters and heavy equipment and it covers REALLY well. You can see on my build thread one picture of the rear lower door with multiple colors on it and after one coat it's virtually all just the new grey color. Very impressed.

The gravel guard for the fender wells was a Lordco product which IIRC has a part number of "SUP". No idea why it's called that, but the SUP was the key.

Hope it works out for ya!

PS: If anything I'd recommend spending the money (if you don't already have one) on a full face painting mask so as to avoid not only breathing this in but also protecting your eyes as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom