Paint or Powder Coat Wheels/Rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some experienced opinions on the wheels from my 2000 LX470.

Looking for a clean black look, want to maintain original look, should I paint black or powder coat black?

Thank you.

If this is posted somewhere else, my apologies, but can you please provide the thread?

Paint is cheaper. Powder coating is more durable... for normal driving. If you think you will be in the rocks a lot and might be scratching your rims and wanting to touch up, then I would recommend paint.

Personally I have always had luck with a double powder coat and when the rims get bad just have them blasted and re coated.

plastidip them. Easy to touch up, easy to remove, and way cheaper than powdercoating. I put 6 coats on my last 100's wheels to help with scratch resistance.

Paint is cheaper. Powder coating is more durable... for normal driving. If you think you will be in the rocks a lot and might be scratching your rims and wanting to touch up, then I would recommend paint.

Personally I have always had luck with a double powder coat and when the rims get bad just have them blasted and re coated.

Won't be in the rocks, strictly road and highway - so powder coat?

plastidip them. Easy to touch up, easy to remove, and way cheaper than powdercoating. I put 6 coats on my last 100's wheels to help with scratch resistance.

That looks strong...what is plasti-dip? Like your wheels...looks sharp

My plastidip has held up well to trails here in Central Oregon (your terrain may vary) but got toasted by the tire shop when fixing a flat. So that's something to prepare for mentally, have a can of extra for touchup. Otherwise I really like the color/process/cost for now.

Plastids is definitely cheap and does not hold up bad. I used that on a jeep years ago... but CruzerDave is right in that it will defiantly get destroyed by the tire shops. I always write it off because of that but that is really not fair because it is a lot more versatile than paint. You can pretty much peel off an any time is you decide you don't like the color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom