Packable awning on sale at REI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those awnings are pretty sweet, great when combined with a RRT :)
IMG_2511.jpg

For sure the same ones...

Costco was probably just trying to get rid of stock that wasn't moving...

I think I got the last one... :)

That sucks.

I was just about to place an order for one.

Now I won't, just for the sake of not getting ripped off by REI again.

how long ago these Costco purchases?

Skillet,
if you go to Froogle or whatever it's called now. REI's price isn't bad..

The Costco pricing was a fluke.. some of us got lucky

e99,
There was a thread in this section about these.. i believe it was around last December..

Skillet,
if you go to Froogle or whatever it's called now. REI's price isn't bad..

The Costco pricing was a fluke.. some of us got lucky

e99,
There was a thread in this section about these.. i believe it was around last December..

I knew I should have pounced on that deal. :doh:

kelty carport review

Bummer for those who missed the Costco price when I posted back then. For those still considering - thought I'd throw in my $0.02 since I've used it a few times. You can decide if it's worth $250 or not.

Pitches in 10 minutes and provides a lot of shade. Versitile. Better than a normal awning in the rain because the sides roll down.

Has a design flaw. Hard to explain unless you have it in front of you, but basically the furthest left and right ends of the pole that attaches to your rack recieve a small hook that's attached to the tent fabric via a few inches of nylon webbing. The point where the nylon webbing attaches to the tent fabric is woefully inadequate. If you are going to pitch this thing in wind, you must re-enforce this spot. Mine failed and ripped about 15in of fabric right at the coping on either side of where the webbing/hook attaches to the fabric.

I used it in pretty heavy wind/swirling rain and it was great for hanging out and cooking. Plenty of space for the table, four chairs/people, cooler, stove. If it's properly guyed out and staked down, it will keep you dry even in driving rain because the sides role down pretty close to the side of your truck. You can even open your back passenger door to get into the truck.

By the time my awning failed at the above mentioned point, the Costco deal was gone so I couldn't return it. I decided not to spend the money shipping back to Kelty on a warranty claim because I knew I'd just have to re-enforce the new one anyway. So I repaired the fabric and sewed an 18" of length 1" webbing along the edge of the fabric to fix the tear and give the hook webbing a more solid attachment point.

I have not yet tried attaching it to the maggiolina and having it 12 feet in the air.

I don't like that it takes 10 min to pitch and break down because it feels like you're breaking camp if you need to drive away. you could detach it from the roof rack and lay it down - haven't tried that yet.

The versatility for shade and rain is great. At $60 it was a no brainer. Even at $250 it's not bad because it's far more storm worthy and offers more shade and versatility than the easy awn type setup. And, it packs much smaller and lighter than those 10'x10' instant canopy things. When mine ripped the wind was gusting to 40mph and it would have been fine with that wind if I had already re-enforced that spot. I don't think other awnings can take that kind of wind.

Bummer for those who missed the Costco price when I posted back then. For those still considering - thought I'd throw in my $0.02 since I've used it a few times. You can decide if it's worth $250 or not.

Thanks for the original tip and that update.
I'm thinking I'll leave my tent home this year when I go on Rubicon and Fordyce and just rig the Kelty up to my FJ40's roll cage. the whole thing isn't much bigger than my small back packing tent when it's packed up.

It does seem to take a long time to set up but I'm sure I can cut that time down with practice.

That sucks.

I was just about to place an order for one.

Now I won't, just for the sake of not getting ripped off by REI again.

I just saw these in thier May Sales flyer and was wondering about them.

How did get ripped off by REI?

You can take broken crap and worn out shoes back to them for a fulll credit or refund. I took a coffee cup back that I've had for 6 years when the handle broke off. They exchanged it, no questions asked.

Those awnings are pretty sweet, great when combined with a RRT :)

I was thinking of one of these to attach to the side of my M101 trailer. The side of the trailer is only 6' long. Is this enough area to attach the awning?

I just saw these in thier May Sales flyer and was wondering about them.

How did get ripped off by REI?

You can take broken crap and worn out shoes back to them for a fulll credit or refund. I took a coffee cup back that I've had for 6 years when the handle broke off. They exchanged it, no questions asked.

All of those niceties are built in to REI's exorbitant prices.

I love going to REI and I love looking but if I buy, I just accept that it will generally be top dollar.

You can return things the same way at Costco but you generally pay much, much less. However, they don't always have what you want.

Can't win them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom