Other exhaust system question if I may-The muffler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
Other than looking for some stock collector flanges for my 82 FJ45, I will be replacing the old muffler that is rusted out on the top side.
Question for you guys like me that want to stay stock as much as possible in regards to the 2F and keeping the back pressure as close as possible to OEM. The carb is stock and newly rebuilt all the pipes are 2" . I do not want a loud muffler just a quiet type a aftermarket that meets the above. Round style would nice.
I know I can go to any muffler shop and ask but it seems as all they want to do is get a sale done and sell you what they think is what you want. I'm interested in what would be the best from experience.
So with some of you guys that have found good replacement, would you mind passing on your finding.

Note: no cat on this rig or emissions.

Thanks
stock muffler.JPG

I know what you mean by "generic" but I was more interested in a good quality that will last and will meet the OEM to a point. My neighbor who is a race car builder and racer, explained to me about the exhaust systems on the markets not just for race cars, all vehicles, and says that most all fall short of the OEM specs due to design and parts used or lack of. Yep a race car system is not the same as I want but his knowledge seems well placed.
Basically you get what you pay for. If you want OEM quality you pay a bit more. I guess I want a bit better than generic.
Thanks for the reply

I ditched Flowmaster and I’m very pleased with a Magnaflow.

If you like to drive in snowy cold weather, try to get whatever shop to provide decent aluminized tubing. I had a 4 inch hole break open from the hanger welding while driving up in a blizzard thru the Sierras— All of a sudden, no power to keep up with the flow of traffic— you don’t want to cheep out on a muffler

Much quieter and easy to talk with my passenger now without yelling at freeway speeds. Pick something that matches OEM design and enjoy your truck full throttle ;)

Is OEM an option still?

I drive in both hot and cold and wet environments so the aluminized idea is a good one to look for when buying.
I am presuming The Magnaflow is installed on your LC, would you have a PN for that model muffler?

I guess I am mostly interested in a muffler that will let the engine breath but without to much loss of back pressure to were the engine performs sluggish and or flat on response.
As we know the F,2F engines are not race capable but is extremely reliable at low to moderate speeds, but at low speeds they develop hot spots in its system were the hot gases need to flow as needed for cooling but leavening enough pressure (BP) in the system to help cool and repower the head when firing. Dam, Hope I explained that right o_O , anyway the back pressure is supper important on these old engines or any truck or car for that matter.
I been digging around and came up with just a few names of companies that sell mufflers:
agnaflow
Gibson
Flowmaster
Dynomax
Borla
MBRP
aFe
Flowtech
Dorman
Thermo-Tec
Rumble Exhaust
Hooker
Thrush
Go Rhino
Mr Gasket
Cherry Bomb
Design Engineering
Spectre
Omix
Magnaflow
Patriot

Many of the listed are made with very low quality parts or thin steel. Those are the $30 -$40 mufflers found on eBay and such. They will work but for how long?
Yes, as far as I can tell the OEM is still available but at a hefty price and mostly not in this country. With the shipping and cost of the system you can pay up to $500. It consist of the tail pipe, muffler, and I think the front flange pipe of the muffler. Part number 17430-61061. Looks to be the correct size pipe wise for the FJ45.
This guy tells it like I can not on the back pressure thing- real good

I will check on the Magnaflow.

Thanks much :beer:

Muffler.jpg

Last edited:
Just had to mention since after a OE appearance and sound and I seem to recall Onur finding the piece for JPs lpb resto (though it was an early F instead). Besides.... im the frugal one here :grinpimp:

Dont forget walker mfg as well. Their hush series gets good sound reviews. Ive had good luck with the ss Magnaflow on 80 and 45 but maybe a touch louder than desired

Bigger is better here for cabin noise.

This is a great bit of information on the exhaust system.
Sorry not sure why this you tube info is not showing up???

Yes Walker is one to consider as most shops do carry that line.

Very few and mostly in far east and Europe. Not worth the trouble.

OEM.JPG

OEM1.JPG

Last edited:
This was sent to me - seems as it fits the OEM specs other than it was made for the FJ60 but as the FJ60 has the same 2F engine and distance from front to rear it should be okay. Only question is it was made to use with a CAT that the FJ60 has, I have no cat in my exhaust system? Anyone use one of these?

Thanks

WALKER® EXHAUST SYSTEMS :: E-Catalog Lookup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom