Orion Without Low Gearing Possible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before contacting Advanced Adapter, just thought I'd ask here.

Is it possible to buy the Orion cast iron case and a few internal parts.....and use my standard gears out of my 3-speed T-Case? My reason for this is that I don't need lower gears (SM-465 + Toybox with 4.7:1).

I do like the sound of a stronger case though....and that is my objective.

Thanks...

They have a 3:1 gearset if you are interested in that.

I would save your $$ and just use the stock case with a saver plate installed on it, that is if you are not pounding on the truck, if you wheel super hard then go with the orion. If you go with the orion I would just get the lower gears. You can always shift up in the transmission side. If you have not done so already you may want to do the math to see where you would be in each gear of the sm465 as far as low range, it will give you a clearer picture of your possibilities.

Noah

The bigger Orion idler shaft creates an issue for the smaller sized shaft and bearings on the stock idler gear. Maybe one could have a stock idler gear machined out to fit the bigger Orion shaft and bearings? Not sure if there's enough material on a stock gear to do it, just a thought.

Well, 3:1 vs. 2.28:1 out of a 3-speed case. I would just go with the 3:1 Orion as '74 UA FJ suggested.

Hi All:

I agree with "Megolfer," but switching to the 'split case would mean losing the t-case mounted p-brake unless you utilize the expen$ive S-O-R adaptor kit.

I do understand the want/need of a stronger t-case than the old school one-piece TLC unit.

Regards,

Alan

Orion advice

Thanks guys, for the recommendations and your thoughts on this subject. I have cracked one 3-speed case, and when I went back with another 3-speed case I did install the T-case saver. Two wheeling seasons on it and no problem. But I'm a little concerned that the saver might not be enough.

The conclusion I come to is that I need to call Marlin and AA to investigate my options with the split case and Orion.

Thanks again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom