Options for aftermarket parking brake shoes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Feb 18, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
3
Location
Washington D.C.
Hey everyone, been a while!

I bought my ’98 Cruiser about 2.5 years ago and thankfully haven’t had to do much to it. The handbrake has always been rusted/frozen, though, so I finally decided to tackle it this week.

The job itself is surprisingly simple, but after getting everything apart I found that the friction linings are separating from the metal shoes. I was able to snap one completely off with a light pull.

OEM shoes are pretty expensive compared to aftermarket. Has anyone here used aftermarket parking-brake shoes on a 100 Series? Any particular brands you’d recommend or avoid?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2026-09-18 152551.webp
 
Hey everyone, been a while!

I bought my ’98 Cruiser about 2.5 years ago and thankfully haven’t had to do much to it. The handbrake has always been rusted/frozen, though, so I finally decided to tackle it this week.

The job itself is surprisingly simple, but after getting everything apart I found that the friction linings are separating from the metal shoes. I was able to snap one completely off with a light pull.

OEM shoes are pretty expensive compared to aftermarket. Has anyone here used aftermarket parking-brake shoes on a 100 Series? Any particular brands you’d recommend or avoid?

Thanks!

View attachment 4215360
Avoid trq. Napa can be a good choice. Oem is best. It’s all about the big pin fitting the new pad properly.
 
I hate to say this, but since adjusting and getting a 100 series parking brake to work well can already be a bit of a challenge, I'd sure try to use OEM pads. Perhaps you can find an online Toyota parts seller (be sure it's OEM stuff) and buy them a bit cheaper there.
 
Back
Top Bottom