On Road Comfort in the LC200 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow bruisers, has anyone installed or thought about installing an air suspension on a 200 LC in order to get a Lexus like ride? I chose the LC over the LX because of its simplicity, but I really wish it has an air suspension, as all my driving is on-road and I can really feel everything through the springs. I would rather upgrade the suspension than spend money on the tarded up LX. Many thanks for any information or guidance.

Check tire pressure and make sure that it is within spec (see driver’s side door jam...if you still have stock tires.)

Anything else that you do to your suspension likely will not improve ride/comfort/handling.

Ok, first the LX has a hydraulic system vs. air. Air is used by Range Rover and other manufacturers. In regards to ride quality, it would be significantly better to upgrade to a Fox, King, ARB suspension vs. trying to migrate to a hydraulic system due to cost and/or complexity. Hope that helps!

Ok, first the LX has a hydraulic system vs. air. Air is used by Range Rover and other manufacturers. In regards to ride quality, it would be significantly better to upgrade to a Fox, King, ARB suspension vs. trying to migrate to a hydraulic system due to cost and/or complexity. Hope that helps!

Those suspension systems are done for a purpose, usually for lift or off-roading. But for city slickers, those suspension systems come with compromises in ride, handling, and safety for that matter. OEM suspension will likely be more comfortable.

Last edited:
Nothing says simplicity like 3rd party air suspension.

OP — I doubt you'd be happy that route even if it were an option. As others pointed out, there are many conventional aftermarket shocks that have adjustable damping. The trick would be low-lift, softer springs to go with them to give you the results you are looking for.

—Sent from my tarted up, totally plush-out-of-the-box Lexus LX :cool:

"tarded up" as you put it eh? I'll still toss you a bone.

Are you on stock LC suspension?

It would be rather hard to get a better riding setup short of AHC suspension on the tarded up LX, even with it on 20s. Most every aftermarket suspension utilizes firmer springs. Yes, they use different dampers, but springs are the primary dictator of compliance and ride quality. I don't think one will find a better riding setup than stock.

Airbags are generally fitted to augment the suspension system. That is they can be used to increase spring rate for load handling, but not decrease spring rate. There are some interesting developments out there though and here's one previewed by @Eric Sarjeant

That said, you can play with tires for additional compliance. If on AT tires, time to go back to highway tread P-metric tires.

I'm assuming again you're on stock tires? You could go down a wheel size, e.g. 17s Rock Warriors to gain more sidewall. Or go up an aspect ratio from the stock tires, again for more sidewall and compliance. From stock 285/60r18 to a 285/65r18.

And do play with tire pressure as @Madtiger mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
This is why I love this forum, so you guys can set noobs like me straight. The one question I have from this, would airbags help the on-road ride comfort? That's all I'm after. I'm on stock suspension now.

This is why I love this forum, so you guys can set noobs like me straight. The one question I have from this, would airbags help the on-road ride comfort? That's all I'm after. I'm on stock suspension now.

No - the airbags you could add are designed to offset rear-end sag due to payload or tongue weight from a trailer. They essentially augment the spring rate with compressed. air.

I’ve had both the land cruiser and LX if you like simplicity doing and air suspension would not be simple...as teckis300 mentioned just add on some 275/70r18 Michelin p-metric tires you will have a nice floaty smooth ride with fat compliant highway tire...

I have 20’s with d rated 275/60r20 kO2’s inflated at 42psi trust me when I tell you my 2018 lx570 does not have a smooth ride at least in my opinion when comparing with my 2013 land cruiser... a lx570 with 18’s and highway tires would have a really nice ride

I’ve had both the land cruiser and LX if you like simplicity doing and air suspension would not be simple...as teckis300 mentioned just add on some 275/70r18 Michelin p-metric tires you will have a nice floaty smooth ride with fat compliant highway tire...

I have 20’s with d rated 275/60r20 kO2’s inflated at 42psi trust me when I tell you my 2018 lx570 does not have a smooth ride at least in my opinion when comparing with my 2013 land cruiser... a lx570 with 18’s and highway tires would have a really nice ride
Thanks for the tire recommendation. Will 275/70r18 Michelin p-metrics fit the stock 18 inch wheel, no issue? No rubbing concerns?

Get a set of the 17" TRD Rock Warriors and put the Michelin 285/70/17s on them. In theory the extra inch of sidewall and smaller wheel makes it ride smoother. I did this on previous 200 and it rode great and looks great. No lift needed. I went with the LTX AT2 but you can also get the LTX MS which is even softer, smoother and quieter.

Thanks for the tire recommendation. Will 275/70r18 Michelin p-metrics fit the stock 18 inch wheel, no issue? No rubbing concerns?

Just check your pressure. I would not anything in your circumstance.

You have not told us anything about your LC...what year? How many miles?

Get a set of the 17" TRD Rock Warriors and put the Michelin 285/70/17s on them. In theory the extra inch of sidewall and smaller wheel makes it ride smoother. I did this on previous 200 and it rode great and looks great. No lift needed. I went with the LTX AT2 but you can also get the LTX MS which is even softer, smoother and quieter.
Thanks. Any issues with tire pressure sensors when switching to smaller wheels?

Just check your pressure. I would not anything in your circumstance.

You have not told us anything about your LC...what year? How many miles?

2017, 24,000 miles. My tire pressure 1-2 PSI lower than what's on the door panel. It helps comfort, but I'm looking to maximize, thinking that smaller rim, thicker highway tire may be the ticket.

Thanks. Any issues with tire pressure sensors when switching to smaller wheels?
Yes. The TPMS is a total PITA and I hate them all. You will need to relocate the sensors to your new wheels, and re-initialize them to the new pressure you are going to run in the new tire if you want them to work the same way, as in, setting off the light when they go 25% below the set pressure.

2017, 24,000 miles. My tire pressure 1-2 PSI lower than what's on the door panel. It helps comfort, but I'm looking to maximize, thinking that smaller rim, thicker highway tire may be the ticket.

LC is one of the best riding SUV on the planet. Even Consumer Reports think so.

At next oil change, ask them to check your shocks just in case one is failing prematurely.

Changing to smaller rims + tires (5 rims/tires) = a lot of money that will likely won’t change much. Just my opinion.

Rock Warriors are a go-to recommendation made usually by someone who already has a set. They are sold second hand, hard to find, over priced, and not sold in sets of 5 (to ensure you have a spare).

There are other good readily available 17" options if OP wants to go this route. Evo Corse comes to mind.

I had 275/70/18’s on my 2013 land cruiser... zero rubbing and it fits easily in the spare tire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom