Airbags on a lifted LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eric Sarjeant

Ed Martin Toyota (Indianapolis)
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.edmartintoyota.com
We had a customer that we're finishing a build for on this week that needed airbags for towing, but also wanted to adjust rake on demand. I told him no problem since we install bags on Tundra's fairly often because the squat so easy. After research, there really just isn't a lot (any) of products on the market for lifted 200's. After some research, I found Airbag Man in Australia that sells an in-coil setup. They are Firestone bags (blue color) with a Kevlar sleeve that sit in the rear spring. Initially, before we didn't know there are any products readily available, I wanted to use AirLift because they have an ultra simple wireless remote/iPhone app to inflate/deflate but since they didn't make one for lifted 200's, we had to abandon that idea. The 200 build already had an ARB twin-air compressor, so we bought the AirLift kit just to see if we could get it to work with the ARB compressor and sure enough, worked like a charm. I REALLY like this setup. Here is a quick video explaining it by my new-car sales manager (I'm the camera man).

Nice setup. That’s much better than the mini compressor I have mounted in the spot where my jack was.

I have firestone bags on mine. They work ok but they stretch a little bit over time and in my experience can’t be removed from the springs without cutting them or buggering up the fitting if you try to remove the air line. Also firestone won’t honor their warranty if you have a lifted truck - not that the bags are very expensive anyway.

This is the exact setup i've been trying to work out on paper! Using the ARB compress is something I wanted to do, but Airlift would not commit if it would work with the ONE controller. I figure you'd have to use a solenoid on the ARB compressor to keep air from going to the one controller when you were doing stuff like airing up tires or other non-airbag uses... questions:

did you run into the need to solve the solenoid problem externally or does the ONE inflator module have a good enough solenoid valve to keep air from going into the system when you're not inflating bags? I assume you need to wire the relay from the ONE controller to turn on the compressor when the remote is used, or do you just manually turn on the compressor?

lastly, what springs are you using there? I have the Dobinson's Progressive rate, but I think those will be too much when coupled with the airbags.

Thanks for contributing back to the 200 community with the solutions you guys create/uncover!

Very cool system.

I have firestone airbags with the TD coils. I didn't connect them to my ARB compressor since it wasn't a need for my use. The airbags work great and are very good when heavily loaded. I adjust my airbags and shock compression when fully loaded or for driving around town.

Neat setup! I've really enjoyed my Firestone Airbags in my rig. He looked like his thumb was getting tired pressing that button 94 times :rofl:

lastly, what springs are you using there? I have the Dobinson's Progressive rate, but I think those will be too much when coupled with the airbags.
I doubt the spring rate will matter much. When the airbags are empty (or nominally filled) you just feel the spring rate. You only fill them when you’ve put hundreds of pounds on the springs already. At that point they supplement the ride and stiffen up what would be otherwise soft, saggy, and floaty. Yeah if you filled them to 30+psi when unloaded they’ll make your ride a bit bouncier, but that’s not how they are intended to be used.

If your progressives are good for normal use, they’ll be good for air bags. If they are too stiff now, then airbags will make them marginally stiffer

This is the exact setup i've been trying to work out on paper! Using the ARB compress is something I wanted to do, but Airlift would not commit if it would work with the ONE controller. I figure you'd have to use a solenoid on the ARB compressor to keep air from going to the one controller when you were doing stuff like airing up tires or other non-airbag uses... questions:

did you run into the need to solve the solenoid problem externally or does the ONE inflator module have a good enough solenoid valve to keep air from going into the system when you're not inflating bags? I assume you need to wire the relay from the ONE controller to turn on the compressor when the remote is used, or do you just manually turn on the compressor?

Thanks for contributing back to the 200 community with the solutions you guys create/uncover!

So it needed a ball valve to separate the air lift system from the inflation kit on the arb while using the air inflation. You can use a electric air solenoid but since the hood needs to open to use the inflation kit it’s a little less wiring to use a manual ball valve. We diode isolated the air compressor turn on lead from the air lift to the arb compressor.

I think we used 2722 springs but I’d have to check when I’m at the shop.

AD047070-118E-4894-9DEE-64274EE5E8D4.jpeg

1C90300C-BF7A-4004-99ED-AC10F7E26981.jpeg

Eric, how do you monitor pressure in the bags, or does the user just air up until they get the ride height they are looking for?
I'm about to install airbags, compressor, dual batteries, etc. and am taking a lot of cues from your awesome builds. Unfortunately mine is a budget version...but still, trying to learn from the pros.

Last edited:
Eric, how do you monitor pressure in the bags, or does the user just air up until they get the ride height they are looking for?

I'm about to install airbags, compressor, dual batteries, etc. and am taking a lot of cues from your awesome builds. Unfortunately mine is a budget version...but still, trying to learn from the pros.

Thanks. The airlift remote is pretty cool. Just set it like a thermostat at your house (you know what I mean). You can use the remote included or your iPhone.

Eric, I assume you used the Gen 2 (not Gen 1) Air Lift WirelessOne given the date of this install. Is that true? Also did you need to mount the Air Lift Controller unit with 32 inch of the compressor like Air Lift says to do with their compressor or in the rear farther than that? Thanks, Mike

Very nice setup!

Does this improve ride quality or just height? I need to get new rear spring coilovers and thinking about something like this. I don't have a built in compressor but would love something that allows my elderly parents to get in/out easy.

airbag man also makes a full air setup for the 200 rear (no springs)
I haven't been able to find anyone with this on the forums, however. I want to do this but I don't want to be the guinea pig.

Also, any concerns tearing a bag during offroading?

Does this improve ride quality or just height? I need to get new rear spring coilovers and thinking about something like this. I don't have a built in compressor but would love something that allows my elderly parents to get in/out easy.
These are for towing, they keep the rear from sagging under the extra weight of the trailer tongue.
I haven't been able to find anyone with this on the forums, however. I want to do this but I don't want to be the guinea pig.

Also, any concerns tearing a bag during offroading?
I run the Firestone bags and have ran some trails around Ouray (alpine loop, Imogene, and a few others) no issues from that trip. I just aired down the bags and went to wheeling. While towing on some trails I didn’t run them at the same pressure I do on the road, again no issues off road while towing.

Can you run bags with a rear coil spacer? I’m curious if there is room to run the lines.
Yes, the spacer fits around the top of the coil but the air line runs down the middle of the coil. Tons of space

It does not improve ride quality except that it allows you to run a softer spring. But adding them to your existing setup won’t make the ride any better. It will help if your rear end sags when you load people and gear into the trunk or 3rd row.

It does increase height but not by much. They’re not for adding lift, they’re for adding spring rate (so reducing height loss when loaded)

I run the Firestone bags and have ran some trails around Ouray (alpine loop, Imogene, and a few others) no issues from that trip. I just aired down the bags and went to wheeling. While towing on some trails I didn’t run them at the same pressure I do on the road, again no issues off road while towing.
Thanks for the reply. And to be clear, you're running the full airbags, not just the bags in coil springs setup, right?

Airbags are brilliant in my mind. From the perspective of bags creating the ability to tailor spring rate, and maintaining the use of softer spring rates when unladen, it does allow for a better ride in mixed use. Depending on how much payload or towing tongue weight is at hand, different pressures or spring rates can be configured.

Bonus is it allows for leveling the car when car camping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom