On-Board Fire Suppression System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I have been looking into installing an on-board automatic / manual fire suppression system onto my 2004 100 series and wanted to see what others out there have. For context, I haven't landed on a specific solution yet but I am looking for one with the following features:
- deployment method - automatic and manual
- location - engine compartment
- fire suppression type - halon (or an alterative green option)
- fire extinguisher weight - minimum of 10 lbs

Let me know what you all got (please post pictures if possible)

I just carry a little $25 manual fire extinguisher in my truck. IT has the added bonus of being able to be taken out of the truck to put out someone else's fire if need be

I just carry a little $25 manual fire extinguisher in my truck. IT has the added bonus of being able to be taken out of the truck to put out someone else's fire if need be

I've also carry several fire extinguishers on board, but, in the event of an engine fire, it can be very difficult to get your hood up (and if you do get your hood up, you are then adding oxygen to the fire, which can make it grow).

I am pretty sure that I am going to go with two (2) AMRC-1000 from FireBottle Racing / Safety Systems. It includes the following features:
  • 17 lbs aluminum bottle
  • Automatic and manual (for the automatic deployment, it deploys at 286 degrees)
    • 3 manually operated nozzles
    • 1 automatically operated nozzle
  • DuPont FE-36 (clean chemical replacement for Halon)
  • $819.32 cost per system (pre-tax and pre-shipping) direct from FireBottle (total cost for two on a pre-tax and pre-shipping basis would be $1,638.64)
Product Link

Edited: Added link.

Have you had problems in the past with your vehicles combusting into flames?

I'd spend that money on just making sure your fuel system / rails / seals / etc. are all maintained and you won't have to worry about it. Otherwise it sounds like you found a solution.

Have you had problems in the past with your vehicles combusting into flames?

I'd spend that money on just making sure your fuel system / rails / seals / etc. are all maintained and you won't have to worry about it. Otherwise it sounds like you found a solution.

My Land Cruiser is very well maintained, and I have not had issues with any of my vehicles bursting into flames haha. However, spending $900 - $1600 for the piece of mind is definitely worth it to me.

My Land Cruiser is very well maintained, and I have not had issues with any of my vehicles bursting into flames haha. However, spending $900 - $1600 for the piece of mind is definitely worth it to me.
To each their own, if budget isn't a concern it'll be a fun modification. Post up the details here if you get it done

Interesting project. I've seen this on heavily modified engines or race cars. Not typically a Land Cruiser thing. I'd skip the engine compartment and put the suppression low near the gas tank, personally.

I think we've seen a handful of 100 series fires and every one has been the spewing gas tank igniting on the exhaust under the car that I can recall.

Have there been any engine bay fires documented?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom