OME Installation Experience -It's a process (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So almost two years ago I installed an OME kit on the 62. I went with mediums due to feedback from members. Generally speaking I think it was the right call. Install went well with only a few minor injuries - Until I compared pre and post lift measurements. The rear added 3.5, the front 0. Ultimate stinkbug. Even after cycling for a few weeks and trying to get it to settle, no bueno. On
the plus side there was less than 1/8 inch cruiser lean.
I ordered up additional leaves and new center bolts to essentially make my front leaf packs heavies. Got it all assembled and reinstalled... Better - but still way too much rake. The only answers were to drop the rear by removing a leaf (no frickin way) or add 1" lift shackles to the front. Looking at the caster situation I figured I'd need about 6 degree wedges to correct the front end. I used HFS one inch lift shackles, easy install and I was happy with the quality. As far as axle shims I went with WFO Concepts which I've used on other solid front axle projects.
As far as shocks - I have not had good experiences with OME (personal opinion) so I ordered my kit without them. I used trailmaster shocks, mostly because I already had two new ones that fit from another project. Unhappy with front shock selection, I ordered stem to eye conversion brackets (Pro-Comp I think).
So after running this for the past year I'm pretty happy with the results. A little more stiff up front than I'd like but it does handle well.
And as much as I love the old school ARB bumper - I'm afraid if I added one I'd be right back where I started.

IMG_0685.jpg
IMG_0686.jpg
IMG_0718.jpg

Perhaps Cruiser Outfitters could help you figure this out. Was your 'no front lift' compared to worn-out old OEM springs? If so, that doesn't sound right.

Perhaps Cruiser Outfitters could help you figure this out. Was your 'no front lift' compared to worn-out old OEM springs? If so, that doesn't sound right.
Cruiser outfitters is great, but no need now with it solved. I imagine a PO re-arched or added a helper spring on the front packs causing the “no lift” issue. Still, having the rear so much taller with the new OME setup didn’t work for me

The front shackles are too vertical. That’s why the ride is a bit harsh.
An ARB front bumper is heavy. It will absolutely smooth out the ride but not significantly sag the front.

I had heavy duty springs on the front (not OME) and an ARB bumper. It rode pretty well. When I took off the bumper — man the ride got harsh.
I could definitely feel the weight difference of the bumper

The front shackles are too vertical. That’s why the ride is a bit harsh.
An ARB front bumper is heavy. It will absolutely smooth out the ride but not significantly sag the front.

I had heavy duty springs on the front (not OME) and an ARB bumper. It rode pretty well. When I took off the bumper — man the ride got harsh.
I could definitely feel the weight difference of the bumper
That is awesome to hear! I might just have to go for it and order the ARB. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom