OME BP51 or ICON Stage 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want a lift for my 2018 LC and am considering these two options for about the same price ($3K). Any thoughts as to which would be better? Will any of these two kits improve on-road handling (roll and nose dive)? Is this a DIY job?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions.

My last vehicle was an LR4 with pneumatic suspension which was really easy to lift with Johnson rods.

BP-51 are bypass shocks. The Icon stage II shocks are not. Both are remote-reservoir shocks, but 99% of the time that won't matter or affect your ride. The BP-51 bypasses will allow you oodles more tune-ability, and are more likely to get you the ride you are after both on and off road. Call Cruiser Outfitters and talk with Bryce or Kurt @cruiseroutfit as they're both very knowledgeable on the subject. Great prices on the shocks too.

www.cruiseroutfitters.com
801-563-1277

Last edited:
My Toyota dealer also sells and installs BP-51 on LC and Tundra including warranty, so check your local dealer if they are doing the same.

I have BP51s on my 200 and Icons on my Tacoma. They’re both fantastic, but the procedure for adjusting on the Icons is definitely easier as it’s an external knob you can turn with your fingers. The BP51s have more adjustability, but they require a wrench and are more difficult to access. Not a huge deal, but you won’t want to adjust them on the fly like you can with the Icons.

I have BP51s on my 200 and Icons on my Tacoma. They’re both fantastic, but the procedure for adjusting on the Icons is definitely easier as it’s an external knob you can turn with your fingers. The BP51s have more adjustability, but they require a wrench and are more difficult to access. Not a huge deal, but you won’t want to adjust them on the fly like you can with the Icons.

That’s definitely true. BPs require a lot more force to adjust. Wish it was easier. On the other hand...it’s something I don’t feel needs constant adjustment. Once I get them set, I don’t feel much need for tweaking on the fly...although I admit that I might play with it more if it was easier. :)

I have found that ease of adjustability is more important for the rear. My gross weight can vary by a thousand pounds (just me driving to work every day versus fully loaded with family, gear and RTT). Being able to easily adjust the compression dampening when I change loads has been very nice (I have Tough Dog BTW).

If you are going to tow or do overland camping, you might want to consider this.

I have found that ease of adjustability is more important for the rear. My gross weight can vary by a thousand pounds (just me driving to work every day versus fully loaded with family, gear and RTT). Being able to easily adjust the compression dampening when I change loads has been very nice (I have Tough Dog BTW).

If you are going to tow or do overland camping, you might want to consider this.

Thanks for that perspective. It makes a lot of sense. We normally tow with our truck (F150) but travel with family in the SUV. I don’t foresee having to adjust much but I do want a slight lift (2”), to fit 285/65 KO2s and better road handling (reduced roll and eliminating nose dive).

Is there a difference in usage in these two suspensions? Im about to get the icon stage 2 but saw this thread discussing the OME BP51. My LC is 97% daily driver so that would be a priority.

I know the stage 1 would be best, but as the kids say nowadays, I’m “extra” and I just want the best bang for the buck.

Is there a difference in usage in these two suspensions? Im about to get the icon stage 2 but saw this thread discussing the OME BP51. My LC is 97% daily driver so that would be a priority.

I know the stage 1 would be best, but as the kids say nowadays, I’m “extra” and I just want the best bang for the buck.

Both see a lot of pavement and trail duty. You can't go wrong with either, but Icon is more expensive. Figure out what your priorities are then go from them. TBH the OME medium setup is pretty good too (had that on my last 200 and on my 100) especially for the price.

Thanks for that perspective. It makes a lot of sense. We normally tow with our truck (F150) but travel with family in the SUV. I don’t foresee having to adjust much but I do want a slight lift (2”), to fit 285/65 KO2s and better road handling (reduced roll and eliminating nose dive).

Interesting fact, the LC has higher weight and axle capacities than the F150 if you ever want to consider towing with it.

F150 vs. LC
GVWR: 6800 lb | 7385 lb
GAWR Front: 3375 lb | 3595 lb
GAWR Rear: 3800 lb | 4300 lb

F150 Platinum:
18.jpg

LC
upload_2018-8-10_11-30-52.jpeg

Interesting fact, the LC has higher weight and axle capacities than the F150 if you ever want to consider towing with it.

F150 vs. LC
GVWR: 6800 lb | 7385 lb
GAWR Front: 3375 lb | 3595 lb
GAWR Rear: 3800 lb | 4300 lb

F150 Platinum:
18.jpg

LC
View attachment 1764351

I have a 2015 XLT with Max Trailer Tow Package. Not sure what the axle and tow capacities are but I manage to tow our Winnebago (~7,000 lbs) without any problems. The convenience of towing with the truck is the space in the second row for the dog and the space in the bed for the bicycles, generator and other crap we take camping.

For me, nothing beats a truck for towing an RV and going camping. I also use it to haul my motorcycles around which is much more convenient than towing a trailer with the LC or using a hitch carrier.

It’s good to know that the LC can handle the weight when i have to move the RV around and just in case.

That’s true.
The good news is that the tea adjustment ring isn’t surrounded by the spring as on the front coil-over.
The bad news is that adjusting the rear ring tends to spin the entire shock...so I typically need a strap wrench to counteract the stiff turning of the adjustment ring. :-/

I checked out Cruiser Outfitters and discovered there is a Standard Duty Suspension Kit from OME that come sin under $1,000 and provides a 2" lift. This could be exactly what I need for the on-road improvements I'm looking for and the room to fit the larger KO2s.

Is this kit any good? What would I be giving up vs. the BP51s, other than adjustability?

I checked out Cruiser Outfitters and discovered there is a Standard Duty Suspension Kit from OME that come sin under $1,000 and provides a 2" lift. This could be exactly what I need for the on-road improvements I'm looking for and the room to fit the larger KO2s.

Is this kit any good? What would I be giving up vs. the BP51s, other than adjustability?

The basic OME kit will be a vast improvement over stock. I ran it on my 100 Series and the improvement was huge. I expect it will be even better on the 200 because you aren’t stuck with torsion bars in front. Follow CO’s suggestions on spring rate selection and I think you’ll find it’s a great cost effective upgrade.

The basic OME kit will be a vast improvement over stock. I ran it on my 100 Series and the improvement was huge. I expect it will be even better on the 200 because you aren’t stuck with torsion bars in front. Follow CO’s suggestions on spring rate selection and I think you’ll find it’s a great cost effective upgrade.

That sounds very promising. I'll call CO as soon as get back to the U.S. and order with their recommendation for spring rates.

I've heard some folks say that the basic OME kit is quite stiff. I have no direct experience.

I’ve had it on my 100 and 200. I don’t think it’s that stiff. But I’m also used to driving cars with stiff suspensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom