OME 2866 height issue. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, been lurking in this site for awhile. My brother in law installed a pair of brand new OME 866 on my 1998 Landcruiser yesterday due to the addition weight of the arb rear bumper. It rode much better compared to the ome 865 which is medium load. Currently, the cruiser sits 1” higher on the rear passenger side. Rear driver side measures 21.25” and the rear passenger side measures slightly over 22”. I inspected the seating and everything looks normal. Does it take time to settle evenly or maybe I need to switch the springs around to make the cruiser sit even? I don’t have drawers or any uneven weight in the trunk.

I installed them backwards the first time too. The explanation I was given was that one spring is designed to be on the side that the gas tank is on due to the extra weight there.

Thanks for the reply. I had an 80 series that I had ome front springs install awhile back and they have designation letter for driver side. The OME 866 didn’t have any markings indicating which side they go on. I’m thinking it doesn’t matter since they go in the rear which doesn’t have a driver or battery. In this case I might have to take everything apart and switch the springs. Bummer.

I just installed these springs.

I had heard the sides were different and noticed one spring was very slightly longer than the other. I installed it in the side that apparently needed the longer spring and I sit evenly now so I guess I did it correctly.

Sounds like you may have been unlucky and put the sides on incorrectly. It would be nice if ARB made a really obvious note in the package, but I don't recall seeing one.

@TnTnola how old were the 865's? Interested in sell them?

I just installed these springs.

I had heard the sides were different and noticed one spring was very slightly longer than the other. I installed it in the side that apparently needed the longer spring and I sit evenly now so I guess I did it correctly.

Sounds like you may have been unlucky and put the sides on incorrectly. It would be nice if ARB made a really obvious note in the package, but I don't recall seeing one.
I didn’t notice any specific marking for which side they go on. I swapped them out this past weekend and it is still higher on the passenger rear. I’ll drive it around and allow it to settle before the next step which it to install a 10mm trim packer on the driver side to correct the lean.

I just installed these this weekend. Passenger side is about a half inch higher than driver. There were absolutely no markings on the springs differentiating the two sides. Three of us looked at them, even put a level on them, and they were the same height.

If there is a difference, why aren't they marked? I know the 80 springs are marked.

Ome 2866 is an odd one. Be sure the front is equally leveled. Crank the torsion bar to get the height as close as possible. Maybe the front driver side is lower causing the rear passenger side to be a little higher. If that doesn’t work then add a ome 10mm trim packer.

The OME spring spec sheet is usually really helpful for this stuff, but it doesn't call out a height difference for the 2866.

edit, I incorrectly interpreted the progressive spring rate of the 2866 as a rate difference between the left and right coil, removed that comment. :)

Attachments

• ome_spring_specs.pdf
    177.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
The OME spring spec sheet is usually really helpful for this stuff, but it doesn't call out a height difference for the 2866.

edit, I incorrectly interpreted the progressive spring rate of the 2866 as a rate difference between the left and right coil, removed that comment. :)

If there is no difference in free height between the two, then there's no A or B side, which would explain the fact there were no markings denoting that on the springs.

Oh well. I'll ride on them for a bit and see if they settle.

Ome 2866 is an odd one. Be sure the front is equally leveled. Crank the torsion bar to get the height as close as possible. Maybe the front driver side is lower causing the rear passenger side to be a little higher. If that doesn’t work then add a ome 10mm trim packer.

Front is level. Just adjusted that yesterday.

I’ve had this set in my shop for few months and I’m now finally going through the box. I noticed the same thing. Same part number. No left or right side like I seen on springs.

They both measure the same height also. 18” tall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom