OK to run slightly different diameter tires on a 100 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

txgringo

SILVER Star
Threads
I just bought a set of 4 Rock Warriors with Cooper ATP 285/70R17 tires.

The measurements of the tread depth of each are as follows:

8.3mm / .327"
7.?mm
7.?mm
6.6mm / .26"

I am planning to run a matching spare and will rotate the spare in with the other 4 tires at each rotation.

The way I see it, I have 3 options:

OPTION A:

According to the discount tire website, the ATP tire has a tread depth of 17/32", or .531".

I was planning to run the two tires with 7mm tread depth on the front, put the 6.6mm tread depth tire on as a spare, and then run the 8.3mm / .327" used tire on the rear with the new tire measuring .531".

This means I'll have a difference in depth of .204", which means a difference in diameter of .408", and that seems like a lot of difference to me.

My hope is that by running the new tire in the rear PS position that it will wear a little faster than the others and hopefully even out with the next closest sized used tire.

OPTION B:

Order a Cooper ATS Tire (slightly different tread pattern, but only 14/32" or .438" tread depth new vs. the 17/32" of the ATP). I would run this on the rear alongside the 8.3mm / .327" used tire.

This setup would result in a tread depth difference of .11" and a difference in diameter of .22".

OPTION C:

Sell these used tires and buy a new set of tires.

I would appreciate any solid advise on this. I know that Option C is likely the best option, but there's an up-front investment required for it, and cash is a little tight right now. If there are strong reasons not to go with A or B, then C it is.

Most manufacturers say less than 2/32 difference in tire depth on awd.

Yeah, and the more I read about it, it's not just the difference between Left and Right that matters, but also front to rear, so with my most worn tire being at ~6.6mm (about 8/32"), it looks like running a new tire with either 14/32 or 17/32 is going to be just too far out to be right.

I might run this set with no spare for a little bit to get through the holidays and figure out what tire I want to go with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom