Oil Oil everywhere..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I second the huh ??? :doh: on the valve cover.
Just to clarify, by me saying smoke coming out the rear of the vehicle, I meant the oil spraying on the exhaust pipe/cat converter CAUSING smoke, not actual smoke coming out of the engine. Have they done a compression check????????????? Make them do it.

Yomama

Oh... Sorry. I meant that he pressurized the valve cover while it was off the vehicle by putting the air hose into the PCV socket. No air would bleed out of the baffle inside the valve cover, so he concluded that the valve cover is clogged inside. That would make it so that the engine can't vent any crankcase pressure, and it would just bleed it past all of my seals. They're gonna have the valve cover tomorrow supposedly, and if that doesn't fix it I'll make them do a compression test. That way, I won't pay for the valve cover :)

Just found out something cool today at the dealer tho. One of my friends is friends with the owner and has a parts account at cost. I share the same name of one of his kids, so I can go get parts on his account and just cut him a check later. Got a marker light assembly today for $62 with tax, list was over $85 without tax! I didn't know that there was that much of a markup.... :doh:

... and we have our hi-dee-ho neighbor Dan ! So nahhh - :p
[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

Here is a another quick test. Wtih the Vavle cover on, engine running. leaking oil. Keep the engine running at a higher RPM and then remove the oil filler cap to see how much pressure there is and if the oil leak goes away. If not you have Oil pressure leak. If the oil leak stops then you have a Blow by concern. Later robbie.

Dealer says that the new valve cover has fixed the problem! With some other maintenance stuff (repack wheel bearings, all 3 diffs flushed, trans flushed) it'll come to almost $1k. Does anyone think I should ask for some $$ off since my rear main didn't really need to be replaced, and I already paid $750 for that? Just wondering if I should have a talk with the service manager or not.

-Jared

No harm in asking...nicely...since they did a repair that wasn't needed. Ask for a complete creditl, or offer to pay his parts cost and let him eat the labor. You do, after all have a new rear main. Labor should be viewed a sunk cost to him anyway since he's got to pay the mechanic to be there regardless. Yes, I know he could have been working on another paying customer's vehicle...but he wasn't. Be calm, be nice, be reasonable. Good luck and glad your problem is resolved. :cheers:

my understanding of the way some/most? dealers work is that the mechanics are essentially independent contractors. The rate the delaership charge is the "official" time it should take to do the job. If the mechanic does it in less time, they keep the extra$ so to speak, if it takes longer, they eat the extra "time". More to the point here, if a repair is not done right and you go back, the original mechanic should fix that at no extra cost to the customer. That should not cost the dealer extra, so to speak. Again, the mechanic should be responsible. After all, the reason why you pay so much per hour is that they are supposed to be trained and to know this stuff. One should be reasonable in expectations, of course, but it seems to me that there is a big difference between a leak coming from a main rear seal and a valve cover... :p
So, I would certainly ask for at the very least some serious credit.
JMHO
E

jiggy, they were wrong the first time so maybe give them credit card security and drive it for a week before you pay them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom