1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Oil everywhere.....

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Jiggy, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Jiggy

Jiggy

So here's how it goes. The dealer no longer has any clue what's going on, but so far they've had to swallow a lot of $$ worth of needless stuff ;)

I took the truck ('92 FJ80) in, thinking I needed a new rear main seal since the truck seemed to be bleeding rather heavily from there. They changed it, told me the old one looked fine, but that they had the leak fixed, and sent me on my way. About 3-4 days later I checked the oil, and after adding 5 (5!!!) quarts of oil, I was back up to normal level. So I took it back, and had a long talk with the manager. So they put a new PCV valve on, said it was fixed, and sent me on my way. They put in 5 (5!!) quarts again that friday. I put 3 more quarts in over the weekend, and I think they needed 3-4 on monday when I took it back (AGAIN). So after talking it over with a "master" technician, we decided that since the PCV valve had been totally dry, there might be a blockage. They tested the valve cover (how do you test a valve cover for pressure?) and told me that it was gummed up inside and I needed a new one. So I figured hey, if it's trash anyways, why not cut it open and see what's wrong, right? Well, the answer is.... Nothing. So now they're even more in the dark about what's going on, they only know that the engine is somehow pressurizing and blowing oil all over the undercarraige from the rear of the engine. I'm talking like 4-5 quarts in 150-200 miles. Oil pressure still seems fine tho, so now I'm stumped too.

I guess I need to know 2 things: First, do you think I should pay for the new valve cover? And second, what the hell do you guys think is wrong with this thing?

2. Desertmaster

Desertmaster

Jiggy,

I would not pay for the valve cover, because it did not solve the problem.

Al

3. robbie

robbie Guest

Hello Jiggy:
    One thought that comes to mind is that they installed the rear main wrong or messed this up. Did you have this much of an oil leak before? Is the oil only coming out the back end? or all over the engine. Other oil leaks that may be occuring are The cam plug at the back of the enigne, Pan leak, side cover leaking. Valve cover leaking, Head oil galley plug (just mentioning this, but I would not think this is it. My guess is they may not of cured the orginal problem. If the cam plug has come loose some it will look like a rear main but the oil will be mostly coming from the passenger side of the block. Or they screwed up the rear main when they installed it. later robbie

4. cruiserman

cruiserman

It's probably the 3FE oil plug in the head.

5. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

ask the tech to look at the freeze plugs and after that I give up.
    Robbie is probably the most experienced of us all so worth listening to.
    Dave

6. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Is this potentially the same thing that Dan wrenched on for 27 hours?

7. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    brent, speaking strictly as a lawyer seiazing a rare chance to get one over on an accountant, I believe Dan's problem was at the other end of the engine and also a different model of engine. Otherwise, good guess ;). Personally, I have no idea what's wrong, and, unless the valve cover area is just covered with oil, I can't figure out why they suspected the pcv for so much oil loss. However, I do smell a lawsuit ;).

8. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

Well, at least you got one thing right - a rare chance, very rare that any lawyer could get one on an accountant. All we ever do, if we're good, is document the !@#$!$ out of everything. Lawyer's just talk alot. Ok that's off topic.

I only remembered Dan loosing alot of oil as well. I knew Dan had a newer model. I've never, never held myself out as anything but a 1/2 :banana: person. hehehe

9. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    good thinkin, I would think if it were gone/going the engine bay would be a mess....but I haven't had one go(knock on wood) But its something to look at.

Can you see the oil pooling when you park it?

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=2;threadid=13606;start=msg125972#msg125972 date=1080082370]
    It's probably the 3FE oil plug in the head.
    [/quote]

10. Jiggy

Jiggy

The oil stops gushing when the vehicle is shut off, and it's not bad at idle either, that's why the technician and I thought that pressure buildup was pushing the oil out, rather than it just leaking normally. Another thing they said after the rear main install was that the old one looked good and was still pliable, so they didn't know why it had been leaking.... But replaced it anyway. I'm kinda fed up since they seem to be using a "maybe it's this, let's replace it" system. Trial and error is great, but I'm not paying a dealer to do it. I mean it seems like I know more about this thing than the tech, and he's got a 55 with a small block V8 in it. I think 3 or 4 of the techs there have rock crawling setups with LC's. So what the hell is so hard with diagnosing a leak? I would think they'd notice the rear cam cover leaking when they had the engine split off the trans for the rear main, but then again, I may be giving them too much credit. Does anyone else think I should take it somewhere else and make them pay for it??

-Jared

11. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Nothing says the tranny has to be in place to start an engine! Drop the tranny crank her up! That much oil you might want to wear a snorkle under there.

12. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=Brentbba link=board=2;threadid=13606;start=msg126029#msg126029 date=1080088154]
    very rare that any lawyer could get one on an accountant.[/quote]

Keep thinking that. We love confident witnesses :D

I think between us we can maybe muster one :banana:

13. robbie

robbie Guest

This does not really sound like crankcase pressure build up as much as a oil leak from a galley. To loose that much oil from crankcase pressure your engine would almost have to be worn out. I once had a diesel engine that had that much blow by, the couple had a 250k motor home with a C series cummings engine that some tech had not put the right air filter in at the Motor home dealer. By the time they came up the Alcan they had suck so much dust the it had worn the motor out in 25oo miles. Had to tow it in.
    This can be a common problem with this type of engine, leaking cam plugs. I usually fill the area between the cam plug and the backign plate with RTV so it will not move with age. There again I am not there and do not see the whole picture. Just a guess. Good luck.
    AS for trust, if you feel the have lost your trust, it may be in your best interst to take it somewhere else. It will pay you to have a real complete conversation with the owner or shop boss. later Robbie

14. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

The one time I saw oil spewing from crankcase pressure it was coming out of everywhere. The oil dip stick was like a Geyser :eek:. Sounds like a leak in the lubrication system to me. Not that familiar with the design. My only leak like that was the head plug on the side of my old 2F in the FJ60. But that was out in the open and easy to see.

15. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    3fe has the same plug as the 2F. its on the rear of the head, above the dizzy and right above and to the right of the #5 plug

here is a pic of it(where it is) on a 3fe, disreguard the brass line, look at where the line treads into the head, on a 2f and 3fe its a lead plug that sits flush to the head.
    [​IMG]

FWIW, this is on the ole 88 fj62, when the head was replaced it seems the mechanic thought it was a good idea to run a line from the plug(which he tapped) to the oil filter bracket(base), we guess its to get more oil to the head......but not really sure, it had been like this for some years(PO) and for a year we had it, it ran like everyother 3fe.........

But check your 80 to see if this plug is gone or leaking.

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=13606;start=msg126111#msg126111 date=1080096247]
    The one time I saw oil spewing from crankcase pressure it was coming out of everywhere. The oil dip stick was like a Geyser :eek:. Sounds like a leak in the lubrication system to me. Not that familiar with the design. My only leak like that was the head plug on the side of my old 2F in the FJ60. But that was out in the open and easy to see.
    [/quote]

16. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Jiggy,

An important question has been asked that you did not answer. Did it leak this much BEFORE they worked on it, or not?

DougM

17. Jiggy

Jiggy

It leaked about the same before all the changes that the dealer made. Right now it's sitting behind the dealer shop with the valve cover off, and they're saying that there's only one new valve cover in the U.S. and it's in LA. I'm in Virginia. I'll go back today and look at it to check out the cam plugs and the head plug. Thanks for all the info guys! I'll keep you posted on all the details.

-Jared

18. yomama

yomama

Have they checked the cyclinder compression in all cyclinders? I had a vehicle with a blown piston that would spew oil out the rear seal. Idling, nothing, but as soon as I took it out on the road, there was a cloud of smoke behind me and a trail of oil.
    Just a thought.

Yomama

19. Jiggy

Jiggy

No cloud of smoke, just the undercarraige is coated with oil, and it's all over the tailgate and back glass. Master tech swears that it's the valve cover and says he stuck an air nozzle into the PCV valve grommet, pressurized it, and the valve cover would not let any pressure out. I said go ahead and get the cover, so that's where we're at now. He also said that he inspected the rear cam plug and head plug when he had it split up for the rear main install.

When I talked with the tech today the manager had to be called away for a bit so we got to talk for longer. He said that he's gotten to know my engine a little better now, that there's almost no blow-by at all, and that if all the seals are as good as the old rear main was it'll be a while before I need to do anything more to it. So I'm hoping that the cover is the real problem, but it still looked clean enough inside to me.... Whatever. I'd be happy to be wrong this time :doh:

Adding insult to injury, it looks like someone crunched my loaner car (camry) up in a parking lot somewhere, so new marker light lens and maybe some paint. I'm not sure if it was already scratched or not, but I'm thinking not. So to whoever crunched my POS loaner car.... :flipoff2:

-Jared

20. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

So, by pressurizing the valve cover using the PCV hole, he established the valve cover is NOT leaking. But he wants to replace the valve cover because it's.............leaking?.....

Huh?

Doug

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">