Oil loss when use on highway - 1998 205K engine rebuild at 190K (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my 100 series 9 months ago shortly after the engine rebuild (both lower and upper gaskets replaced), she runs great and is a daily driver. The issue I need help with is identifying the oil leak I get when we drive her on a highway coming back up the mountain after visiting family. The route is a 2 hour highway climb of 5k feet at 75 MPH, and after the trip I loose up to 2 Quarts of oil. There is minimal dripping when I park her and no dripping or oil loss during daily drives around town. Any guesses? Am I burning oil or just leaking at high pressure use? Thanks for your input.

2 Qts is a lot of oil to be just burning off. Have you taken off your skid plates and looked around underneath the engine? Checking to make sure the oil drain bolt and filter are secure would be my first checks.

Next step would be to leave the skid plates off and drive it on the route, then park it with a piece of cardboard underneath the engine and see if you can see what general side it is leaking from.

It could be leaking from any number of places including, but not limited to, the valve cover, oil pan gasket, crankshaft seals, etc.

Thanks Saleach.

When I did take off the skid plates there was oil accumulated. Once refilled, I drove the route days later and parked it and watched for any further leak marks on the floor. There was a minor leak spot (2 inch diameter spot) under the oil pan, it stopped dripping after a day. I did check the oil drain bolt and filter, all is fine. I keep thinking oil is blowing out under high pressure.

Since it only happens after heavy use i'm thinking valve covers, but after the engine rebuild i would hope not. There is some oil stain above the oil pan.

I would clean the engine real good so you can spot a leak easily, and then watch the oil level so you dont starve the engine with oil. Assuming you are leaking outside of the engine, you should be able to see where it leaks. Losing 2 quarts in 2 hr trip - that is a lot of oil to lose.

Sorry I am no help if you are burning oil. Someone with more knowledge should chime in.

Leaky valve covers smell. The oil runs down the block and burns off. Leaky valve covers also don't give you 2Qts of consumption on a couple hour drive either. I'd be looking at the rear main seal area if I were in your shoes.

Perhaps you could elaborate on the "rebuild" that was done. What was done and why was it done? Engine rebuilds being necessary at 190k are extremely rare on the 2uz-fe.

I had high consumption on my Land Rover post rebuild. Turns out it was sucking itthrough the PCV system. It happened mostly at highway speeds. Worth looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom