Oil leaks - advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

1981 FJ 60 with 212,000 with some oil leaks that I would like to address and I would like a little advice before I jump in.

Leak #1 - Oil pan gasket (I think) The whole oil pan seems to be covered with fresh oil after a dive while the top of the block stays dry. It seems like oil is seeping past the oil pan gasket from multiple points. Is this common? Are there other seals that I should look at? Are there any obstacles for changing this gasket with the motor still in the truck?

Leak #2 - front seal on the rear end. What's the procedure for changing this seal?

And where are you guys getting your parts?

Thanks a bunch,
Carl

Oil pan gasket:
A) use a 'one piece' gasket and stick with OEM.
B) there is a good write up in FAQ on this procedure. I think the write up is in the 40 FAQ which is fine...all the same.

This job is not at all difficult, just a bit tricky to do it correctly, so do read the FAQ.

JOHN

Thanks John, but I can't seem to find the FAQ you are talking about.

Oil pan gasket:
A) use a 'one piece' gasket and stick with OEM.
B) there is a good write up in FAQ on this procedure. I think the write up is in the 40 FAQ which is fine...all the same.

This job is not at all difficult, just a bit tricky to do it correctly, so do read the FAQ.

JOHN

It's there, I just went & looked.

A) go to the fj40 section
B) go to the FAQ Section...towards the top of the page...click it
C) go to Engine Information
D) go to Oil Pan/Side Cover Gasket...listen to Poser...he's in the know

John

Got it! Thanks for taking the time John. I think the crazy font colors were making me cross eyed.

~ Carl

It's there, I just went & looked.

A) go to the fj40 section
B) go to the FAQ Section...towards the top of the page...click it
C) go to Engine Information
D) go to Oil Pan/Side Cover Gasket...listen to Poser...he's in the know

John

getting the old oil pan gasket completely off the block was one of the most difficult tasks that i have performed with my fj60. check a few things before you dive in. if not leaking from the front of the engine - timing gear cover (possible). and, if not leaking from the oil pan seal (possible). if your oil pan has another piece of sheet steel welded to the bottom - mine was rusted in a place where it could not be seen and was leaking from there...ended up sealing/patching it with JB-Weld - which worked like a champ and saved $$$ on a new oil pan. and, the worst oil leak i ever had came from a defective gas pump - which is bolted to the block at the front passenger lower side of the 2f...the first one my toyota parts department had ever known about failing. Since oil leaks can be elusive…double check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom