Oil leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving down the road when I side swiped a wall. My motor or parts never leaked up until that point. No it's leaking oil and I can't find it. Can some of you Elders, help me out.

well, these things can leak oil from just about anywhere.

So, maybe you should start by parking over a sheet of cardboard or something so you can get some idea where it might be coming from?

Take a bunch of digital photos where you suspect the leak and study them on your computer, post up the photos once you narrow it down. IME some common areas are rear of main oil pan (arch seal), front of engine at oil pump cover, distributor O-ring, valve cover gasket, crank sensor O-ring, front crank seal. Removing the splash pan under the radiator helps see where leaks are coming from up front.

Wash off any dirt or grease and then run the engine and watch for drips.

No easy way to do it other than drop it off and have somebody else fix it for you

Careful when washing engine. You may run into electrical issues on top of your existing oil leaks.

did you swipe the drivers side? power steering parts and trans hoses all are up front and the battery tray is darn close to the tranny cooling lines near the drivers side of the radiator. Not much in the way of oil can leak from the passenger side.

"Sideswipe" and "wall" are not enough information here to tell if you merely scraped the paint on the fender flare, or if you tore the fender mostly off, bent the front axle, and broke a motor mount. Obviously, different suggestions for each scenario. The cardboard suggestion is a good one. Make a mark on the cardboard at the center of the tire contact patches so you can clearly measure later.

DougM

Well, I power washed underneath and top of motor. Did a great job. Oil leak is coming from front end bottom. BUT, Now I'm having issues after power wash. CEL came on... LC running shaky. Man, this is gonna cost a lot. I tore of front flare and fender well dinged up. I'm gonna fix her.....

give it some time to dry out and then pull the EFI relay for a few minutes.

Take a bunch of digital photos where you suspect the leak and study them on your computer, post up the photos once you narrow it down. IME some common areas are rear of main oil pan (arch seal), front of engine at oil pump cover, distributor O-ring, valve cover gasket, crank sensor O-ring, front crank seal. Removing the splash pan under the radiator helps see where leaks are coming from up front.

Is the distributor o-ring a dealer part? Noticed mine leaking while replacing my alternator yesterday.

Any parts links to the other bits? I'm pretty sure I've got other leaks going on. Driveway is a mess.

Thx,

Brian

Yes it is a dealer part. Picked one up from Sam at lowes toyota in Atlanta. Any one of the parts guys on this site should have one. Also my distributor was not easy to remove. Had to pull pretty hard to get it out. Don't forget to mark where it is on the block and where the rotor is in relation to distributor. Will make it easier when you put it back in. Unless of course your follow the FSM and set it at top dead center when you remove it. Good luck. My old seal was hard as a rock. Was more like a plastic ring than a rubber seal.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Yes it is a dealer part. Picked one up from Sam at lowes toyota in Atlanta. Any one of the parts guys on this site should have one. Also my distributor was not easy to remove. Had to pull pretty hard to get it out. Don't forget to mark where it is on the block and where the rotor is in relation to distributor. Will make it easier when you put it back in. Unless of course your follow the FSM and set it at top dead center when you remove it. Good luck. My old seal was hard as a rock. Was more like a plastic ring than a rubber seal.

Will do, thanks for the help!

Brian

Just an FYI

Be careful with your match marks when cleaning the distributor once removed - brake clean and contact cleaner is great at removing those marks for you and then you're back to installing the old fashion FSM way.

Without pictures of said area this thread is useless.

As far as getting the motor wet, now you need to go through and dry everything out.

I am not a big fan of power washing engine bays.

take a picture of where you think the oil leak is and post it up so that we can help

You are giving us nothing to go by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom