Oil Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stop! Stop! I just put a new Fram in 2 days ago. I'm trying not to think about it. :mad:

Wow, you're a road trip machine! That's some 27,000 miles a year! Well done.

DougM

Thanks... I'm probably one of the few NY Yankee season ticket holders that lives in Arizona :doh: . Hey, gotta do what ya gotta do.... can't fly cause I'm all tall n' fat hahahaha.....

I ran Fram filters for years, was one of the first eye openers I got when I started looking into oil. What turns me off most about them is it is a very cheaply made filter that is not cheap to buy; they use cardboard and other cheap components where steel should be.

Some have found failures where the oil was not getting filtered in cut open fram filters but it is not common.

Toyota, WIX, & Baldwin, are some of the good choices in filters.

as for removal I tried a lot and finally settled on the a well fitting filter socket.

most methods covered in this thread
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=5368

If you are not cleaning up after filter changes you will have oil on the side of the block and on the axle, not necessarily a leak

Great I just did an oil change a week ago and replaced my filter with the Fram filter. I'm running dino oil in my 91' and do it every 3k miles religiously. Will go for a wix filter in the future, I'm running a wix fuel filter and noticed better mileage after I replaced the Fram one in there.

Have you found the threads about the Wix failures yet?
Yes. One. But any filter could fail. Wix is made by Mann hummel. They make a lot of other brands. Other people tell me they've used wix for years, some even frame. I'm a purolator guy. I just couldn't get one at the time

Yes. One. But any filter could fail. Wix is made by Mann hummel. They make a lot of other brands. Other people tell me they've used wix for years, some even frame. I'm a purolator guy. I just couldn't get one at the time
I totally get it. I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm trying to point out it's a serious risk.

You can use it, but you've been warned.

There have been about 10 cases of failure in various stages from just caught low oil pressure to complete lockup.

Realize that the factory oil pressure gauge that is all over the map may/may not show you the truth. Again, well documented.

Keep searching until you think we're all full of s*** or go whichever way you believe is cheapest.

I totally get it. I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm trying to point out it's a serious risk.

You can use it, but you've been warned.

There have been about 10 cases of failure in various stages from just caught low oil pressure to complete lockup.

Realize that the factory oil pressure gauge that is all over the map may/may not show you the truth. Again, well documented.

Keep searching until you think we're all full of s*** or go whichever way you believe is cheapest.
Did you read my reply about me taking the filter off? I'm considering putting my old purolator filter back on

Did you read my reply about me taking the filter off? I'm considering putting my old purolator filter back on
Sorry I missed that part in the other thread

I've got guys on here telling me to never use wix.

you also bumped a 15 yr old thread. Opinions and manufacture Quality Control do tend to change over time.

That one thread contains many reports of failures and the first being my neighbor who I helped work on his motor rebuild only to watch it self destruct on the first drive.

Seems like it's only 1fz engines

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom