Oil Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Simple question, but seriously, three for three Toyota factory filter, Bosch and Fram filters don't fit.

My oil filter is 2.5 inches tall; all of the replacements I have are 3 inches tall, including the factory filter I got from Toyota ... lmao. And no, my filter didn't shrink.

Toyota Genuine Parts 04152-YZZA5 -- does not fit ?!?

So what is the correct Toyota Part for a 2012 FJ Cruiser ?

ps: from a Toyota Parts website: and no - the YZZA5 does NOT fit ...
Engine Oil Filter Element

Stock Code 04152YZZA5
Price: $5.41
Notes: REPLACEABLE Element.

Note -- Upon very close inspection to take a photo - I found the filter inside the YZZA5 box is marked YZZA2 ... sigh. Still doesn't make sense why the after markets are all the same wrong size (and coincidentally are the same size as the YZZA2).

IMG_20190718_204251767_HDR.png

Last edited:
So --- did some more looking and all the images of people doing oil changes show a filter that is too long for the central core of the housing (seemingly too big for the housing). For grins I tried bolting on the filter (YZZA2/YZZA5) ... it didn't even squish ... it bolted down and seems to fit properly. Disassembly shows no deformation or kinks in the paper, so I'm putting it back together and adding oil. Hopefully is doesn't jam the bypass spring...

So that implies the short filter that was in there wasn't even filtering since it didn't fit the full length of the perforated housing core. It was a Toyota dealership in Vancouver that did my last change, too They probably didn't even use synthetic since the oil looks and smells so horrid.

Man, do I find great mechanics, or what. What a waste: now I need to do another oil change in 3,000 miles just to flush out the engine.

That’s because it’s 04152-YZZA1.

So why do ALL the Toyota parts sites say it's a 5? Why are all the after markets matching the 5? And per my post above, the 5 seems to fit just fine. Makes no sense except I had a mechanic put the wrong filter in.

I have a 2012 TTSE and it takes this Toyota filter 04152-YZZA5 on my second box of them. Also since it is held in a plastic holder, I bought a cast aluminum one that is hopefully stronger in case my skids crush a little!! Filter cartridge measures 3 3/16 inch long.
These filters are stamped with this ink: 15613-YZZA2. This is the correct filter for post 2010 FJ's. If you have a post 2010 it takes 0-20w full synthetic oil with a change frequency of 10k miles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom