Oil filter...which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently, I am using the Mobile 1 (Oversized) 301 filter. I've heard MANY good things about the K&N 1002, and one thing that worries me about my current one is many members reported the anti-drainback valve failing (never heard of this with K&N)

Now, here's my question...the 1002 is a MUCH smaller filter, around stock size, so how well will it filter compared to the huge 301 Mobile1 filter? Is there a downfall to using larger filter, such as loss of oil pressure?

I race my engine around quite a bit, which is why I use Royal Purple...so I just want to go with the best oil filter I can with the most flow\protection, since I'll be changing out my oil and filters VERY shortly...thanks.

I have only used K&N and AMSOIL in vehicles if not using oem... I know for my motorcycle K&N had both an drainback valve version and one without. You might find same for the Toyota.

Here is what I am putting on mine after the first oil change at 5000 miles

EAO 057 AMSOIL

I have only used K&N and AMSOIL in vehicles if not using oem... I know for my motorcycle K&N had both an drainback valve version and one without. You might find same for the Toyota.

Here is what I am putting on mine after the first oil change at 5000 miles

EAO 057 AMSOIL

Hm, I'd love to see a comparison of this vs the K&N filter...this one LOOKS larger (might not be though). I ended up going with the K&n since everyone I asked said that they are the best if you rev your engine around quite a bit since they are designed with hi-flow and high-filtration in mind for racing...I'll check out those Amsoils though, but I can't find them locally. I also..don't get the 15k mile thing they say...I don't think I'd ever leave in an oil filter for 15k or even 10k....I'll prob be changing out the oil filter at 3k-5k....does the Amsoil one seem to be of better quality than the K&N?

the K&N relies on oil to catch small particals because of their more open design for high flow. the amsoil has an external microfiber that catches the small particles and then has their high flow internally. Two different ways of doing the same thing. I am sure there are more differences but that is the main thing.

you have to buy them through a local dealer or go to someones website...either AMSOILS or a dealers such as mine that is linked below.

As for oil change intervals.....oil intervals at 3k miles were based on oil and filter technology of decades ago. The synthetic does not break down and lose viscosity and cleaning properties due to heat and such like regular dino oil. BMW uses 8000 miles on my wifes car.... If you send your oil for analysis and it is not showing abnormal wear and is still lubricating and protecting against heat shear then you can go longer. By all means change it sooner if that is your comfort level...all I know is that with true synthetics and high quality filters you can go much longer. send me a pm with your email and i will send you some documents.....but in the end it is up to you.

Alright. Well I changed out the oil and dropped in AFE's Pro-Dry S filter inside my TRD CAI in place of the old oil filter..which I don't like. The oil that I drained, which at max has 4500 miles in it, was pretty dark....when I used RP last time with the Toyota filter I remember it still having a pretty purple tint to it...this time it was just black, so I'm thinking that M1 301 filter really isn't that great at all, and ontop of that it seemed that it didn't hold oil when I took it off (anti-drain back valve fail) so I'm glad to have the K&N in it's place. So, say I could go 5,000 to 8,000 miles using Royal Purple (even though I drive hard as hell) how often would I change the oil filter? Btw, one thing that I should say is that for the past THREE oil changes, I've been using the same gasket....the friggin' original one WON'T come out...so far no leaks, so I guess no worries, it seems as long as you don't over torque it and ruin the gasket it works fine for...well a long time.

the change interval is dependent on your driving style (SEVERE vs NORMAL) , the ability of the oil filter keep oil clean and then of course the ability of the oil to provide maximum viscosity while still cleaning, providing heat shear resistance, etc.

I would call Royal Purple and ask what filters they recommend with their oil...and what their change interval is for your style of driving and vehicle. I can only vouch for AMSOIL.

A larger filter of the same brand/type like a M1-102 vs M1-301 will only hold more particles. Neither will filter any better (particle size wise) than the other.

The advantages of having a larger filter is more oil for the engine to use and more space to store carbon particles. The downside is, that when you start a cold engine, it takes a little longer for the oil to fill the larger filter (even with the anti-drain back valve.) because of the inverted design on the FJ.

Oil is supposed to get dark, it it doesn't, then it isn't carrying away the finer carbon particles in suspension. The purple in RP oil is a dye that dissipates after a short time in your engine. They even state that on their website.

I have used a stock Toyota oil filter, an M1-102, an M1-301, and now an Amsoil Ea-057 (stock sized). So far I'm liking the Ea-057 best, but time will tell.

DEWFPO

Royal Purple, even on other vehicles I have seen, GENERALLY has still retains a slight purple tint in it when drained, and it not PITCH BLACK dark like the oil I changed today. Not to mention the fact that LAST time I used RP I went for 5,000, this time only 4,000k with the M1-301 filter. One of the things I love about the K&N is that it has a nice wrench nut at the top...easy to install\check\take off. I'm just saying, that judging by the way the oil looked LAST time, compared to THIS time, the M1-301 filter disappointed me. The oil was flat out DIRTY

yeah the K&N is nice for normal installation but nobody better complain about filter installation on the FJ Cruiser...it COULD NOT be any easier to get to than where it is...hahahahahaha

yeah the K&N is nice for normal installation but nobody better complain about filter installation on the FJ Cruiser...it COULD NOT be any easier to get to than where it is...hahahahahaha

Lol. No it's easy, the oil change itself is SUPER easy ever since i lifted it. My only problem was with that DAMN stock Toyota filter...sand paper wouldn't get it, strap wrench wouldn't get it, I ended up having to go all over town to find the right size clamp to get the sucker off....blah! My friend had the same problem...he just stabbed it with a screw driver.

BTW, Simple Green does WONDERS for the engine bay...I used it on the pulleys to get some old mud off and on everything else...great stuff, just make sure to rinse it off well, I hear it can mess up aluminum badly if left on. However, my FJ's bay looks like it just got outta the factory ;)

Filter

You can always change the filter in-between oil changes too. I like the factory filter, but it is small. I'll change the filter every 2500 miles and the oil every 5000 miles. Ron

You can always change the filter in-between oil changes too. I like the factory filter, but it is small. I'll change the filter every 2500 miles and the oil every 5000 miles. Ron

Yeah, I'll prob end up changing the filter out at 3k this time around, and then change the oil out at 6k when I change the filter out.

I upgraded to the Truefilter oil system. These things rock in so many ways it isn't funny. The stainless steel filter uses an absolute rating as opposed to an average reading for paper/synthetic. Better filtration, better for the environment, saves money, and looks sweet. I recommend it for sure. also they use their patented quadflow design to eliminate the need for a blow by valve. This means NO unfiltered oil ever reaches the engine. Tests have shown that bypass valves often open under normal operating conditions which sends huge chunks of junk into the system. PM me if you have questions or want to see pics. I love this product.

Trufilter.com

I upgraded to the Truefilter oil system. These things rock in so many ways it isn't funny. The stainless steel filter uses an absolute rating as opposed to an average reading for paper/synthetic. Better filtration, better for the environment, saves money, and looks sweet. I recommend it for sure. also they use their patented quadflow design to eliminate the need for a blow by valve. This means NO unfiltered oil ever reaches the engine. Tests have shown that bypass valves often open under normal operating conditions which sends huge chunks of junk into the system. PM me if you have questions or want to see pics. I love this product.

Trufilter.com

That thing does look bad ass. I've been looking into it.

One thing I just noticed...K&N oil filters do down to 10 microns...Amsoil only does 15...hm...also noticed the cool TruFlow filter says something that bothers me... it says "35 microns and smaller" for what it filters...I don't like when a "high performance" filter doesn't tell me how much it's filtering :-\

Last edited:
the micron rating also affects flow rate... 10-15 is standard now for most. though the difference between a 10 micron and 30 micron sounds large but physically is quite small... One thing to note is what is worse....a 15 or 20 micron filter that needs you to do an oil change possibly sooner or that requires more circulation for good cleaning.... or one with 10 micron filter that when full of particles uses bypass valve to keep engine from losing oil flow. Either way it takes good regular maintenance and checks to make sure it is working good. Once that bypass valve opens in filter...you are not filtering anything and only pumping the same dirty oil back into engine.

now that is if I understand how they work properly.... everything has a drawback if left unattended.

the micron rating also affects flow rate... 10-15 is standard now for most. though the difference between a 10 micron and 30 micron sounds large but physically is quite small... One thing to note is what is worse....a 15 or 20 micron filter that needs you to do an oil change possibly sooner or that requires more circulation for good cleaning.... or one with 10 micron filter that when full of particles uses bypass valve to keep engine from losing oil flow. Either way it takes good regular maintenance and checks to make sure it is working good. Once that bypass valve opens in filter...you are not filtering anything and only pumping the same dirty oil back into engine.

now that is if I understand how they work properly.... everything has a drawback if left unattended.

Hm, I don't see the K&N or stock filter having a bypass valve..so I guess it's imperative to change them out at the suggested milage. K&N's "Power Oil Filter" for ATVS and what not has a bypass valve, but not their automotive. I think the Amsoil and K&N at this time are the best filters (from the specs and the things I keep hearing) out there for the FJ right now. So I think we're both good.

Some engines have internal bypass valves in the oil filter housing, most don't and so it's required in the filter itself.

When a filter is in bypass mode, it's really not a problem as long as it's not in bypass mode for a long periods of time. The oil is still as clean as the filter can make it and having it flow throughout the engine without going through the filter for a few minutes is not a problem at all. These engines have tight tolerances, great filtering systems and amazing computer controls. It's not like there's a bunch of 'junk' getting into the engine and floating in the oil.

Most all small equipment engines operate in crappy conditions, they're abused constantly and they don't run oil filters at all. And many don't get their oil changed for years. These engines are not self destructing or blowing clouds of oil. Look at the old VW Bug engines, no oil filter, just a screen, an those engines lasted FOREVER.

So, relax. Your at 98%, if you want 99%, then install a dual/bypass filter setup and sleep better.

my 2 cents. Tomorrow it will be worth 1.99 cents.

DEWFPO

hahahaha...... I have only had individuals that wanted to make it easier to change filters or those that operate under very harsh conditions to prolong period between changes through regular filter changes instead.... Even though I can sell them I think they are overkill for our use here. my two cents.

The 35 micron rating on the turfilter is an absolute rating. That means that no particle larger than 35 microns can possibly pass through the filter. The micron rating on the filters you guys are talking about is an average rating. That means that particles much larger than the rated number can and do pass through the filter. A number of performance filters use the stainless steel filter media found in Trufilter and all of them have been shown to filter 35 micron and smaller particles about 90% better than paper filters while maintaining much higher flow rates. I can only tell you from my first hand experience, but I love this thing. I've had it on for three oil changes now, and I have not a single complaint.

Due to the better filtration, you can go 7500 miles between changes if you want. I still change oil every 3000 miles, but I'm anal and I want this truck to run forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom