Oil filter/pressure help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I changed the oil on my 80 today and could not get the filter off. I tried two different filter wrenches and nothing. It's too tight t do the old jab a screwdriver into it and twist trick. I couldn't leave it where it was sitting, so I filled it back up with oil (7.5 quarts) and took it for a spin.

At idle, the pressure was about middle gauge. Under heavy acceleration, the pressure crept up to about 1/2 way between the upper middle line and the "H" line. This is much higher than I've seen prior to the change.

While trying to get the filter off, I put a small dent in the side of the filter, but there are no leaks anywhere.

Does anyone see any problems with this? The pressure is higher than normal, but not topping out the gauge. I have read other threads about the pressure showing really low at idle and coming up under acceleration. This is what mine did prior to this. I know I should get the filer changed out soon and I'll be looking for a new ratchet filter wrench later today. Can I change the filter with the engine full of oil? If a little leaks out, no problem, but I don't want to dump quarts of oil out when I pull the filter.

Help! I have to drive this thing 800 miles round trip to the beach later this week.

I work at a lube shop (go ahead, flame me), and we've got a pretty good setup as far as filter removal tools go... My favorite being this little guy:

bb5a_2.JPG

It uses a cool little torque multiplication device. Basically, when you twist it, the tighter it grips the filter....the filter usually comes off on the first try. IME, though, it's a bit tricky to use on a 1FZ.

And yes, you can change the filter with the engine full of oil. Just top it off if needed.

You can most certainly change the filter without draining the oil. You should only lose what is inside the filter. As far as the increased oil pressure, I don't have an answer for you except you may have damaged the old filter enough to cause a restriction which the sender sees as increased pressure. Before you get too worked up, just change out the filter to a new OEM filter. Try using a 3-jaw style filter wrench. They seem to work well with stuck filters.

AutoZone.com | Oil Filter Wrench | Imported and Domestic Cars Oil Filter Wrench Fits 2 1/2 to 3 7/8 in. dia. Filters

Thanks for the tips. I got a torque tightening wrench at Pep Boys that I'll try in the morning. Here are a couple of pics of what the oil pressure is doing at idle and higher rpm's. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it beats not being careful enough, right?

idlepressure.jpg

revpressure.jpg

As a replacement filter you could get a *gasp* aftermarket filter with a 6 point "nut" cast into the top, that way you can always get the filter off. I am in no way a OEM only type of person so I don't see the issue with using aftermarket parts.

Got the old filter off and new one installed with minimal drippage. Oil pressure still seems a bit high, but is still well within the limits of the gauge.

Anyone else ever had this experience after an oil change?

Thanks for the tips. I got a torque tightening wrench at Pep Boys that I'll try in the morning. Here are a couple of pics of what the oil pressure is doing at idle and higher rpm's. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it beats not being careful enough, right?

idlepressure.jpg

revpressure.jpg

exactly as wife oil pressure ... bu problems ..

What weight oil are you running? I'm running 15w-40 in my 3FE and don't see oil pressures that high. Perhaps the oil filters you are using are too restricing or don't have a bypass valve?

What weight oil are you running? I'm running 15w-40 in my 3FE and don't see oil pressures that high. Perhaps the oil filters you are using are too restricing or don't have a bypass valve?

5w30 full synthetic with a fram (I know, didn't have time to wait on OEM) small oil filter. I bought both filters that were listed in the fram book since I didn't have the truck in front of me to see what it currently had on it. I put on the one that matched what was already on it.

Does anyone think that these pressures are a problem??? Certainly, if it is staying well below the top of the gauge it is ok.

5w30 full synthetic with a fram (I know, didn't have time to wait on OEM) small oil filter.

Dude. At least get a Napa Gold next time you're in that situation. (#1515 is the big one that fits our rigs.)

Does anyone think that these pressures are a problem??? Certainly, if it is staying well below the top of the gauge it is ok.

I dunno...

If there's an obvious difference between the readings you were getting before the aborted oil change and now, it sure seems like something could be up. :meh: Maybe a partially clogged passage or something?? I'm no expert on this, but again: If I went through what you did and pressures were suddenly and noticeably higher, then yes, I would be concerned.

Curtis

mstocks,

Dude, I just experienced the same exact issue with pressure increase after an oil change. My truck had a Toyota D3 filter on it and when swapped out with a bigger oil filter at Valvoline Instant Oil Change I've seen the same changes in pressure you have. I'm running Valvoline 10w-30.I'm going to get some more Toyota D3 filters and swap it out. Truck still runs great. I'm not too concerned about it. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Sean

I will be doing another oil change with OEM filter in the very near future. Since the pressures are well within the safe operating limits of the gauge, I'm not too terribly concerned, but I'll be watching it closely on the road. I'll be taking a 14mm and filter wrench with me just in case I need to do the oil change at the beach.

Dude. At least get a Napa Gold next time you're in that situation. (#1515 is the big one that fits our rigs.)

Last time I checked the Napa Gold #1515 you are talking about is a WIX 51515 and can usually be had for less at a discount auto parts store. This is the filter I have used on my '93 since I purchased it.

Last time I checked the Napa Gold #1515 you are talking about is a WIX 51515 and can usually be had for less at a discount auto parts store. This is the filter I have used on my '93 since I purchased it.

Don't know if it's less elsewhere or not, but yes, same filter.

Curtis

Edit: Welcome uptownV. Where ya at in our great state? I'm down in the Rogue Valley.

Yeah, the Wix/NAPA Gold 1515 is a great filter. I got them for around $3 a few years ago when my NAPA was having a blowout promo. Bought every one they had for $3 each. Did I mention they were only $3? I still grin each time I reach into the box at oil change time.

DougM

Fo what it's worth we've owned a 94 since new and I have a 93 now. The picture you have of the oil pressure gauge at idle and incresed RPM looks normal to me. Mine run in the extact same location. According to the owners manual both are within normal limits. However, the factory oil pressure gauge is not really that acccuate.

Also. I noticed that the pics you took show the engine not at full operating temp. My cruiser always shows a higher oil pressure until the engine and oil are to correct temps.

Good point and I'll mirror that experience since we bought our 93 new and it behaves the same way with cold oil and I see the RPM is also at 800 rather than hot idle of 600 which drops pressure a bit. My 93 always shows about 25% greater pressure at any rpm/temp than the 97. They both have exactly the same miles at 190k but the 93 enjoyed Mobil 1 since new. Related? Dunno.

DougM

Good to hear. I'm thinking it might just be enjoying a little more oil pressure with the fresh oil. Could the fact that I've done a couple of long trips recently have anything to do with it? I did 1400 miles straight through to get it home and then went 600 miles round trip to NC for some wheeling.

I'm growing more and more convinced that the increase in pressure isn't such a bad thing.

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but I think that these engines have an oil pressure valve that will prevent excessive oil pressure from occuring. For example in the case of over filling the oil pan.

Also, if you have access to a manual oil pressue gauge, hook it up and see the actual number and compare to the FSM.
I bet you're fine.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom