Official: GB: Quick Release Fire Extinguisher Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
[FONT=&quot]It is finally official after a year long process! I will start taking payment for the quick release mounts in order to begin the manufacturing process.

These are for a 3-1/4" diameter extinguisher ONLY. If you have an existing extinguisher that you plan on using, you will want to measure it first. If you need to buy an extinguisher, you can purchase one on Amazon pretty cheap. I personally ordered a Kidde FA110 extinguisher here to verify that the dimensions are correct. As I'm writing this, it is on sale for $18.98 as an Amazon Prime item, so if you are a Prime member you can have it in 2 days. It is also US Coast Guard and DOT approved. There are quite a few other 3-1/4" diameter extinguishers out there so you do not have to use this one in particular. Please note that I am not a sponsor for Amazon or Kidde, this was just the one I chose for myself because it is such a good deal.

As most of you know, the mounting base WILL NOT have any holes drilled in it for mounting since many will have different needs for where and how they mount it. This provides the most flexibility for everyone and keeps the cost down.

Here is a link to the original interest thread for those who are not familiar with this and are looking for more information on this clamp. https://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-storefront/671326-quick-release-fire-extinguisher-clamp-gb-interst-6.html

All of the vendors are lined up, and as soon as I have enough funds to cover the cost, I will give them the go-ahead to start the manufacturing.

Over the next day or so, I will be sending a PM to all who have previously asked to be put on the order list to inform them that I am ready to accept payment.

With that being said, these units will be first come, first serve. The quicker everyone gets their payment in, the quicker you will receive them.

I did my best to get the cost down as low as I could for this group buy, and managed to make some changes that lowered the cost considerably from where it was at one point in the process, so I hope everyone is okay with where it ended up. If you decide that you would like to purchase one after the group buy is over, you can send me a PM, but they will not be as cheap as I'm selling them for here right now.

The official price is $69 per unit.

All shipping will be $11.30 via USPS flat rate priority mail medium box within the US. If you are not in the US, I will have to research shipping costs for you on a case by case basis. Send me a PM with your shipping details and I will get back to you as soon as I can with a price.

If you are a Colorado resident I am required to charge sales tax of 7.4% on the clamp.

Here are some totals to that should simplify things a little.

Shipped to a US address not in Colorado

1 Clamp - Shipped - $80.30
2 Clamps - Shipped - $149.30
3 Clamps - Shipped - $218.30
4 Clamps - Shipped - $287.30
5 Clamps - Shipped - $356.30
6 Clamps - Shipped - $425.30

Shipped to an address in Colorado
1 Clamp - Shipped - $85.41
2 Clamps - Shipped - $159.51
3 Clamps - Shipped - $233.62
4 Clamps - Shipped - $307.72
5 Clamps - Shipped - $381.84
6 Clamps - Shipped - $455.94

Pick up in Erie, CO - No Shipping
1 Clamp - $74.11
2 Clamps - $148.21
3 Clamps - $222.32
4 Clamps - $296.42
5 Clamps - $370.54
6 Clamps - $444.64

Please send payment using PayPal: centeraxis@comcast.net
Make sure your shipping address in PayPal is Correct!

Here is a rendering of the final configuration of the clamp.

The finish on the clamp halves will be the raw, tumbled finish like this:

I am on a work project and out of town, so I put the mount in a vise to demonstrate it a little better than I had managed to do in the previous video. The one in this video does not have the same finish that the finished product will have just so you guys know, it was only quickly sanded using a 60grit sanding disc on a grinder. The finished clamp halves will be like the ones in the picture above.
NEW VIDEO HERE ↓↓↓
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv1ZT8HrtaM

The base of the mount will be fabricated out of 5052-H32 1/8"aluminum, the clamp halves will be cast aluminum, and the hardware will be 18-8 stainless steel.

The mounting base of the clamp will most likely be anodized in clear, or possibly black, so that the company contact information can be etched on it.

I suspect that some will have an interest in whether or not the color of the base is anodized in clear or black, so feel free to give me your two cents on which one you would prefer. PLEASE DO NOT ask for other colors! The majority will rule, even if it is only by 1 vote. Just be aware that it will be one or the other based on the majority vote, so if you care what color it is, let me know in the additional information when you send your PayPal payment so that your vote will count! In addition, I may consider anodizing the clamp halves for an additional charge if there is enough interest in doing so. If you would like your clamp halves anodized the same color as the base and are willing to pay the additional charge, then let me know when you send your payment as well. Just know that the finish on the clamps halves is not being done with anodizing in mind so you may not be happy with the results after it has been done.

As a final note, this is the part where I have to cover my arse if you know what I mean. Typical disclaimer and warranty info...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Product Liability Disclaimer and Warranty Information[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]The end user (which may be the owner, purchaser, installer of the product, or other entity) assumes ALL responsibility for the use, design, functionality, and installation of this product, as well as any injury, impairment, or death that may be attributed to the product in any way. The acceptance of this agreement between the manufacturer (Center Axis LLC) and the end user is made, and agreed to, by the end user and the manufacturer at the time that payment, or any other form of agreed to compensation is made to the manufacturer (Center Axis LLC) in return for the product. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Every application and installation is unique and cannot possibly be tested by the manufacturer to verify that the installation and operation is suitable for the end users intended purpose or use. The method of installation, orientation, and location of this product are all factors that MUST be considered. When mounting in/on any vehicle, of any type, there is always a risk of injury to the operator or passengers due to loose objects in/on the vehicle in the event of a collision or due to rough terrain. It is extremely important that ALL factors are taken into consideration when installing this product to ensure that if the product fails, the operator and/or passengers cannot be injured in any way as a result of the product failure.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Extreme caution should be used when operating or handling the product as it contains many pinch points and a very heavy spring which could be capable of breaking or severely injuring your fingers, hands, etc. Do NOT let your children play with the clamp.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Warranty parts or product replacement will be handled on a case by case basis. Every product is checked and inspected prior to shipping to verify functionality. However, in the event that you feel that you require warranty service or replacement, please send me a PM within 30 days of receiving your product. [/FONT]

Last edited:
Repentsinner & AdventureToolCompany,

Thank you, I really appreciate it! I need about 100-110 orders to start the manufacturing, but I am pooling orders from other sources as well to help out with getting this going. I had 15 from here who said they would like to purchase, but by pooling the other sources, I had a total of 163. I'm hoping it won't take too long for people to get their payment in so that we can start ASAP.

Just in case you scrolled past it, I edited the original post to include a new video of the clamp if some of you are still unsure on the operation of it. Look! ↑↑↑​

Last edited:
Important update!!!

Thanks to those of you who have placed your orders, unfortunately there are still a large number of hold outs. Fortunately, for everyone here, I have some great news that will hopefully please everyone as much as it did me.

Long story short...
Several months back I looked into having a custom aluminum extrusion made out of the profile of the clamp, but I never received any responses back on my requests for a quote. I assumed that it was just too small of a run for it to be worth anyone's time. However, I received a phone call last Thursday from one of the companies wanting to know how they did on their quote, and if I was still interested. My response was, "what quote?". Turns out they emailed it to someone else so I never saw it.

At any rate, the initial quote needs to have some adjustments made to it, but it looks very, very promising. The per part piece is higher than the cost of sand casting, however it drastically reduced the part finishing costs and the machining costs to the point where I should be able to anodize the clamps as well as the base for only pennies more. I am not going to try to charge any more for the anodize, and I will take on any additional costs myself just to make it happen as long as it's not anything too crazy. After all, I've already spent the last year working on this for free.

So... What does this mean to you?
1. The clamps will be 6063 extruded aluminum now, not cast aluminum.
2. All clamps, and bases will be anodized black.
3. Dimensional accuracy of the clamps will be MUCH, MUCH more precise and professional looking!
4. The extrusion profile has allowed me to double up and use two commercially available springs (I hope, still pending a little bit) rather than having to use a single custom manufactured spring. I believe this will provide more flexibility in the future, as well as being able to increase the gripping force of the clamp even more than it does now.

This is a win, win, win, win situation for everyone. The only person who is losing out in any way here is me, simply because I've already invested so much time into the sand casting process.

-Brian

When making your payment PLEASE include your forum name in the Notes section in PayPal.

And... don't forget to verify that you have an address associated with your PayPal account. If you do not, please include it in the notes as well.

1. john karlsson, 2 Clamps
2. ?????, 2 Clamps
3. maleger, 2 Clamps
4. repentsinner, 2 Clamps
5. ?????, 1 Clamp
6. revtor, 1 Clamp
7. reno, 1 Clamp
8. ?????, 1 Clamp
9. leastonce, 1 Clamp
10. roverenvy, 1 Clamp
11. ?????, 3 Clamps
12. gravitysuks, 2 Clamps
13. ?????, 1 Clamp
14. myoverlandrover, 1 Clamp
15. jayz, 1 Clamp
16. Tucker Y., 2 Clamps
17. themaxx, 2 Clamps
18. Jedelmann, 1 Clamp

Total = 27 Clamps

Last edited:
I thought you guys might like to see a rendering of the new style clamp all anodized black.

When making your payment PLEASE include your forum name in the Notes section in PayPal.

And... don't forget to verify that you have an address associated with your PayPal account. If you do not, please include it in the notes as well.

2. backstay, 2 Clamps
3. maleger, 2 Clamps
5. ?????, 1 Clamp
6. revtor, 1 Clamp
7. reno, 1 Clamp
8. dnufer, 1 Clamp
9. leastonce, 1 Clamp
10. roverenvy, 1 Clamp
11. D90MD, 3 Clamps
13. smokedfish, 1 Clamp
15. jayz, 1 Clamp
16. Tucker Y., 2 Clamps
17. themaxx, 2 Clamps
18. Jedelmann, 1 Clamp
19. cgalpin, 2 Clamps
20. Hinckley423, 1 Clamp

Total = 30 Clamps

I wont have any actual photos until I've received enough sales to have all of the parts manufactured and then actually anodize them. There's a lot of variables that play into exactly what kind of finish the anodize will be, and I just can't say with any certainty whether it will end up being dull, shiny, or somewhere inbetween. I would have to spend quite a bit of money to take samples of the aluminum through the exact finishing processes, then pay the $125 minimum lot charge just to have the samples anodized before we'd know. I'm sorry that I can't do that for you guys, but I just can't afford to do that at this point. My best guess is that it will be somewhere between a flat black, and a semi-gloss finish. I hope this helps.

-Brian

2. backstay, 2 Clamps
3. maleger, 2 Clamps
5. cavdiver, 1 Clamp
6. revtor, 1 Clamp
7. reno, 1 Clamp
8. dnufer, 1 Clamp
9. leastonce, 1 Clamp
10. roverenvy, 1 Clamp
11. D90MD, 3 Clamps
13. smokedfish, 1 Clamp
15. jayz, 1 Clamp
16. Tucker Y., 2 Clamps
17. themaxx, 2 Clamps
18. Jedelmann, 1 Clamp
19. cgalpin, 2 Clamps
20. Hinckley423, 1 Clamp
21. Birdman, 1 Clamp
22. skeeball, 1 Clamp
23. smob, 1 Clamp
24. keoni004, 1 Clamp
25. jumping jellyfish, 4 Clamps
26. d_scar, 2 Clamps
27. SSCR, 1 Clamp

Total = 41 Clamps

I've had a few PMs from people asking if they could still be added to this list. If you're wondering as well... Yes, Yes you can. Price totals with shipping, or for pick up in Erie, Colorado are listed on the first page of this post. PayPal: centeraxis@comcast.net.

Last edited:
Good news to those of you who have already put your order in. Due to a recent change in events, I will be financing the remainder of the orders needed to begin manufacturing. I contacted the various vendors yesterday afternoon to get the ball rolling. I will work on putting together a schedule over the next few days, to provide as accurate of a time frame as I can, for when I think we will be able to start shipping product.

For those who haven't yet made their payment to reserve a specific order quantity, just as a heads up, the group buy price will no longer be available at some point in the future. However, I'm not sure just when that will be at this point.

2. backstay, 2 Clamps
3. maleger, 2 Clamps
5. cavdiver, 1 Clamp
6. revtor, 1 Clamp
7. reno, 1 Clamp
8. dnufer, 1 Clamp
9. leastonce, 1 Clamp
10. roverenvy, 1 Clamp
11. D90MD, 3 Clamps
13. smokedfish, 1 Clamp
15. jayz, 1 Clamp
16. Tucker Y., 2 Clamps
17. themaxx, 2 Clamps
18. Jedelmann, 1 Clamp
19. cgalpin, 2 Clamps
20. Hinckley423, 1 Clamp
21.Birdman, 1 Clamp
22.skeeball, 1 Clamp
23.smob, 1 Clamp
24.keoni004, 1 Clamp
25.jumping jellyfish, 4 Clamps
26. d_scar, 2 Clamps
27. SSCR, 1 Clamp
28. M.Miller, 1 Clamp
29. Howsomever, 1 Clamp
30. Wildcat, 3 Clamps

Total = 46 Clamps

Please send PayPal to centeraxis@comcast.net rather than the previous PayPal address I supplied. I set up a new account so that I can keep the group buy payments separate from my personal activity.

I spoke with the extrusion company yesterday and they informed me that they are working on the die tooling to create the profile for the clamps. The expected delivery is around the 15th of January. However, they said that if things continue as they are now, an earlier delivery could be expected. I also spoke with the shop who is manufacturing the mounting bases, and all of the cutting has been completed and all of the parts are now with the shop who is performing the bending/welding services. I will personally go check in with the shop either this afternoon, or tomorrow to see how things are progressing.

Because of the lead time on the extrusion, I am estimating a worst case scenario of roughly the third week of February for orders to start shipping. I hope it will be sooner than that, but I would rather give the worst case scenario than to end up shipping later than I said I would.

I will continue to update you guys as more information becomes available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom