Off Road Trailer build from Utility Trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a small trailer last week that belonged to the state of Az. It looks like it carried a generator or a self contained temporary highway sign. I did a spring over on it. Ultimately I want it to run 33's with the same bolt pattern as my tow vehicle. The deck is 49"L x 40"W. The plan is to build a main cargo box with two mortar cases for side boxes.

trailer.jpg

Last edited:
I started the main cargo box today, I am using 14 ga 1.25 tube. I got a deal on 100 ft since it had rust on it. The roof is 30" off the floor.

DSC02647.jpg
DSC02648.jpg
DSC02652.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, thats right, thanks for the inspiration. :cheers:

My next step is to get an axle ordered tommorrow. I have decided to order an axle and some wheels to match the pattern on the FJC. The width of the axle I have isnt gonna cut it. I would have save money by building the deck, hangers and shackles myself. Wheelers makes some steel wheels that will work. I dont want to carry a spare on the trailer. Hopefully ABC trailer parts will make a funky size 3500 axle for me because what I need isnt listed on the site.

Hopefully ABC trailer parts will make a funky size 3500 axle for me because what I need isnt listed on the site.

They did for me. Just tell them how wide, spring perch spacing and spring over or under. Takes a little longer to get the custom width as they have to order it then put the hubs and stuff together then ship to you. Cheapest axle I could find though, by far.

Also check trailerparts.com They have some odd sized widths,, and I think they will leave the spring mount loose so you could space it yourself..

mock up so I can make some fenders. No luck on the axle so far. I will call ABC again but everytime I have called last week I get no answer and no machine. :bang:

mocktrailer2.jpg
mocktrailer.jpg

Where did you locate those ammo cans? Looks like a great build!!!

cjm

91 Montero

Thanks guys, I picked up the boxes on the side of the road one weekend in Queen Creek. Some guy had a trailer full of ammo cans he wanted $20 bucks a box so I got four. They have been sitting for years with no purpose. I cut the latches off the bottom and hinged them so they now open creating a shelf like AT uses.
I have been diving into this project trying to get done for a trip to Baja on Oct 16th but it's looking like the trailer won't be done. I may slow down and try to do it right.

Im thinking about lowering the boxes some to help with COG. I also want to design the back door so it opens into a horizontal position so I could sleep in it while hunting. Maybe snap some canvas over the back for a 4 ft side x 6'6" bed. I cant afford a RTT anytime soon.

Whats the actual name on the cans? I sent you a PM. Id like to kinda do the same with the cans on the side of my trailer......great idea!!!

semperfi

cjm

Heres the label. The boxes come with foam shaped to a missile or mortar round. I'll try to track down the other two boxes and let you know. Im curious as to what these housed in them so if ya find out post it here. Thanks.

DSC02668.jpg

X2 on the saddle boxes. I've been looking for something similar on ebay and other sources and haven't found what i want yet....looks great.

Did a little research and the containers were used in the Air Force and Navy for carrying the computer guidance system (MAU-169A/B) for Raytheon Paveway II bombs.
paveway-2.jpg
gbu-16.jpg
gbu-12.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom