Off Road Tires (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The wildpeak M/T.... Also, I did have them siped when I bought them. Does WONDERS on ice around here.

Another great one if you don't see much mud is the Hancook I-pike. All of the ranchers around here run the crap out of those tires in the snow. They can be studded as well. Awesome tires and last a LONG time, tread wears like iron on them.
M/t’s look rad. If my truck continues not to be my daily driver I’m gonna look at them

The quietest most road friendly yet top notch off road tire is the Yokohama Geolandar MT G003 with sidewall that screams off road. It also has very good on road wear characteristic.

Yokohama G003 MT III.jpg

I was looking at those but right now Walmart (got Discount Tire to price match) has the new Geolander X-AT in the 275/70/18's for $161. Not sure what other sizes would cost, but I couldn't pass up that for mine. Not a full on M/T but were really quiet at highway speeds and should do everything I need out of them.

04LC_XAT.jpg

Based on some threads here on MUD and watching reviews on youtube, I went with the Continental All Terrrain Contacts in 275/65/18. Supposedly they're really quiet and handles wet and snow very well. It's a light weight tire at 41 pounds so it's great on highway.

I'm getting these installed tomorrow so I'll report back with my initial impressions.

Need to go back to America Tires to rebalance the tires. Any speed after 55mph the steering wheel shakes. Think I need to ask for a road force balance. Other than that the Continentals were great in the rain and almost no road noise.

20191210_185255.jpg

KO2’s in 255-75/17. C rated, so lighter and “softer” riding than E rated.
Stock suspension. No rubbing at all, no plastic removal, no pushing the fender flares etc.
Ride very quietly. I’m really liking them.
D0A7F168-AED3-4D4B-ACD2-65CFB429DD9D.jpeg

Guys I need your help please. I’m looking for quiet off road tires for my 2006 Lexus LX470. I was debating between Cooper Discoverer STT Pro or BFG KO2’s. Or if you can recommend better ones. Also what is the biggest size I can go without modifications? Thank you.
You're at two ends of the spectrum there. The SST Pro is an M/T tire (even though Cooper likes to call it an A/S off-road tire) and the KO2s are a mid-aggressive A/T tire. So it really depends on what you want your tires to do best.

I've run the BFG KO2s (LT275/70R18 E) and Continental TerrainContacts (275/65R20 XL). The KO2s are a decent all-around tire but IMHO they don't live up to the hype and I believe there are now better options. They are also not particularly quiet for what they are. I'm actually looking to replace them because I want something more aggressive and capable off-road. They are 3-peak snow rated (3PMSF) and passable in the snow, but they are NOT winter tires and don't do well on ice. If you go with K02s be careful because there is a version (DT) that is not snow rated.

The TerrainContacts are a "light" A/T tire biased toward highway performance. Very smooth and quiet on the freeway, so great as daily drivers that give you decent off-road performance. I drove "Fins and Things" (4/10) in Moab with them and even cleared "The Wall" as well as handled some flat muddy roads without any drama. Not quite as good off-road as the BFGs but MUCH better on roads.

Keep in mind that A/T tires aren't ever very good in the mud, and they also don't even come close to a winter tire in snow and ice, or even cold dry roads for that matter. 3PMSF be damned, the rubber compounds are just too hard in cold weather. I ride Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tires in winter and they are FANTASTIC. Would also recommend the new Nokian LT3 if you need E rated tires.

So, what to buy? If you want an aggressive A/T tire with better than average snow performance the Falken Wildpeak AT3W is highly recommended. Falling somewhere between the Falken and Conti in aggressiveness is the Cooper AT3 XLT, which is also very durable, smooth and 3PMSF.

If you want even more off-road capability (including mud) and are willing to trade a small increase in road noise, I recommend looking at the new class of 'hybrid' (or R/T) tires which seek to combine the best of an A/T and M/T. I've got my eye on the Nitto Ridge Grappler, which everyone seems to LOVE, or the newer Yokohama X-AT. (FYI the Cooper R/T tire is the S/T MAXX, which I gather is quieter than the STT PRO, but not quite as smooth/quiet as the Nitto and Yoko I mentioned).

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Had a set of Ironman All Country M/T tires. These ironman tires are good in the rocks, sand and trails but not much in mud. Right now, I'm running the STT Pro's and I'm very pleased with them. There's road noise but not irritating at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom