off road/ camping list (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys i would greatly appreciate it if anyone could make a shopping list of things i need to buy to always have in my truck ....
thanks

Ya know...I know this has been discussed a few times, and though the years I've seen threads where lists are posted up, commented on, tweaked...etc.

I've not looked to see if anyone has ever linked them all together in a sticky.

Perfect sticky for the expedition section...

gb

Shopping list eh?

well. . .

#1: Hi-lift jack
#2 Tug Strap: 20,000 LBS MINIMUM
#3 - at least 3 - 5 tonne shackles NAME BRAND
#4 - inner tube for your tire size
#5 - Glow sticks or flashlights. Glow sticks don't expire
#6 - Simple tool set (Princess auto or crappy tire will do: just the basics: 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, 22, 24MM sizes and a ratchet set of the same. You can usually get a set with a metal keeper for less than $10 bux from princess.
#7 Screwdrivers
#8 Marine GOOP
#9 FUSES
#10 CB radio properly tuned or at least a FRS / GMRS radio.
#11 Oil, grease, gear oil, and brake fluid
#12 FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!
#13 in-glove style warming pads (break N shake style)
#14 Shovel (military fold up style with case works well)
#15 fold up style saw
#16 Majic Tape / miracle tape, self adhering tape
#17 Tarps / poly
#18 garbage bag (s)
#19 TP
#20 FRS handheld radios with spare batts (now mandatory addition)
#21 water bottles (good for drinking and cleaning mud off the windshield)
#22 3-4 ton come-a-long (even if you have a winch)
#23 Welding rods in new package. Even if you don't know how to weld, it can save your ass when combined with some jumper cables

Optional, but never a bad idea:

- zip ties
- duct tape
- Black RTV sealant (gas and oil resistant)
- 4-ton come along (if you are without a winch)
- basic 14 ga wire
- some crimp connectors
- 2400 Calorie astronaut food
- gelled water
- AA or AAA Batteries
- Puller (pitman arm style can pull almost anything)
- Butane soldering gun
- 3 or more red ratchet straps
- spare female to female 10MM metric brake line adapters
- simple brake flaring kit
- 24" brake line with ends (in case something gets ripped out)
- full size spare tire
- Cargo net
- Ghetto 12V air pump or ideally OBA
- Level 2 First aid Kit MINIMUM
- welding rod (can be used in a pinch with jumper cables to get you our of trouble
- jumper cables
- 1 GAL jerry can of fuel (full)
- Various hoses (i carry 5/16. 1/2, 1.5 and 2" with couplers
- Spare tie rod end
- set spare drive shaft bolts
- spare hub
- a handful of assorted nuts n bolts.
- lame ass stretched FJ40 Limo as posted below

the list goes on. . .

for a WHEELING trip, all the above plus:

- spare birf
- spare lug nuts
- complete tool set
- complete nut n bolt set
- complete flaring tool set
- assortment hard and soft brake lines
- 30L spare fuel minimum
- LEVEL 3 First aid kit
- Exposure blanket and assorted gear
- bottled water
- snatch block
- 8 shackles
- spare u joints
- spare relays, fuses and wire
- portable mig welder
- snatch block

the most important thing is to secure all cargo tight. if you get into a crash or roll situation, that nice watertight ammo case will bust your skull open.

I'm sure that i've forgotten some important stuff, but it's a good starting point.

Last edited:
Good job Biff,
List looks good, pretty complete. The one thing that has saved me a few times (or should I say my brother) is majic tape. The stuff bonds to itself, and we have fixed my brothers rad hose with it so we could keep wheeling (after, he drove for a few weeks before changing the blown hose) fixed fuel line with it, had that on his benz for years, then it started leaking a little while ago, and he just rewrapped it. Anyway that stuff is really majic, highly recomended.
Cheers,
Deny

Last edited:
hey this list is really great thanks alot guys for helping me out in know is kinda suck having to repeat all this stuff but i am VERY new to all this 4x4 stuff and wanna learn as much as a i cn from all you of ......
see you on the trails
Dan

one thing i read some where maybe the mud expedition page was , change your hoses and belts at home and keep your old ones with you that way if you need to change them out you know the will fit even in the dark or cold you wont have to worry about stretching or heating them , great advise now i need to follow it .

yeha ok ill have to do that i guess....im actually gonna do some maintenance on my truck before the snow falls cause then ill be driving her lots of snow and ice and backcountry conditions so i need it to be tip top shape ..
thanks

Another thing to add to what toynut said.
If you break it on the trail, or see it broken, add that to your spare parts box.
Cheers,
Deny

Good job Biff,
List looks good, pretty complete. The one thing that has saved me a few times (or should I say my brother) is majic tape. The stuff bonds to itself, and we have fixed my brothers rad hose with it so we keep wheeling (after he drove for a few weeks before changing the blown hose) fixed fueld line with it, had that on his benz for years, then it started leaking a little while ago, and he just rewrapped it. Anyway that stuff is really majic, highly recomended.
Cheers,
Deny

I think its called extreme tape, but it works like majic;)

Donèt forget the BEER for your camping list:beer:

I'm sure I picked some up at Home Depot or Revy. I used it to fix a leak in a septic hose. I also used some to repair a garden hose. Stuff works great.
GG

Canadian Tire has it too

Steve told me about using Loctite 790 (just found the new # 79040) to strip paint and clean silicon seal and gaskets:
Chisel® Gasket Remover (Methylene Chloride)
Removes gaskets from any type of assembly in 10 to 15 minutes. Prepares metal parts for new gaskets, eliminating scraping and sanding. Works on wood; non-corrosive on aluminum. Not for use on plastics, linoleum, or synthetic fibers.

I will be using it on the rims I got from Justin. It would probably be a useful item to have in the box for trail repairs. I would also add a can of WD40/Liquid Wrench, a can of brake cleaner, and 3-4 pairs of gloves.

Wait a minute...something BETTER than the all powerful Duct tape? I call bull****!

You better belive it, Another one thats better than duct is tuct tape (red stuff), good for fixn tail lights when you smashm, and it sticks to darn near everything,

For camping dont forget the salt and pepper :doh:

Methylene Chloride is a CCA, I would wear a mask and gloves when using.

Methylene Chloride is a CCA, I would wear a mask and gloves when using.

When he showed me how it works it was with no gloves or mask. Guess Steve's not afraid of CCAs - he eats his broccolli!:D

Just read the MSDS on it: http://sds.loctite.com/wv.asp?A=put...79040'\'LOC'\'USA'\{ts+'2007-09-27+15:36:07'}. Man that is nasty stuff. But I am still going to use it. I see they have a non-Methylene Chloride Gasket remover which might be better to take along on the road: http://www.henkel.com/cps/rde/xchg/...der&BU=ut&countryCode=us&redDotUID=0000000I42.

Last edited:
I didn't see a SHOVEL in the list. This isn't optional, this is right up there with High Lift and spare tire. This would be mine and Mike McT biggest gripe. I don't know how many times I've been out and nobody has a shovel. I don't know if it was on the list, but a chainsaw is a good investment as well, at the very least a Swede saw. I used a Swede for years and it saved my arse.
GG

I didn't see a SHOVEL in the list. This isn't optional, this is right up there with High Lift and spare tire. GG

I'll second that. We would have been screwed yesterday without the 3-4 shovels in the group. I was one of the guilty who forgot mine.:eek:
John

Good call on the tarp. I guess I should look in the back of my truck and see what's there. Oh! I see two tarps, go figure.
GG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom