OEM Shocks with aftermarket torsion bars/springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

Are there any significant downsides to using new OEM shocks with aftermarket torsion bars/springs for a 2" lift? Will these shocks function properly with that amount of lift or will aftermarket shocks be a lot better?

Also, any recommendations on Dobinsons torsion bar + springs vs OME for a stock weight vehicle? I'm aiming for a softer ride. Based on my research both are popular options and it's mostly the OME shock that gives a rough ride.

Thank you!!

No problem. I and many others run OEM Tokico shocks with “lifts”.

Also, any recommendations on Dobinsons torsion bar + springs vs OME for a stock weight vehicle?
Neither. If you want a softer ride and aren’t throwing a ton of weight in the truck full-time, just crank or reindex the existing OEM torsion bars to get the front “lift” and throw in some 30mm spring spacers on top of the rear coils to get the rear “lift”.

No problem. I and many others run OEM Tokico shocks with “lifts”.

Neither. If you want a softer ride and aren’t throwing a ton of weight in the truck full-time, just crank or reindex the existing OEM torsion bars to get the front “lift” and throw in some 30mm spring spacers on top of the rear coils to get the rear “lift”.
I'm actually doing an AHC delete so I have the opportunity to choose what new torsion bars/springs I put in. Are you still recommending that I put in OEM torsion bars/springs? or given the opportunity should I go with an aftermarket option? I'll be running unloaded most of the time and I'm looking to do more light offroading on FSRs.

I'll be running unloaded most of the time and I'm looking to do more light offroading on FSRs.
Definitely OEM Toyota tbars. Aftermarket bars like OME or Dobinsons will make the ride bouncy and rough without an extra couple hundred pounds on the front end.

Im running OEM shocks and OME 2.5 bar and springs. Much better than OME shocks in terms of ride quality.

I've done the opposite, OEM torsion bars with aftermarket shocks, with bullbar and winch works well.
Hello!

Are there any significant downsides to using new OEM shocks with aftermarket torsion bars/springs for a 2" lift? Will these shocks function properly with that amount of lift or will aftermarket shocks be a lot better?

Also, any recommendations on Dobinsons torsion bar + springs vs OME for a stock weight vehicle? I'm aiming for a softer ride. Based on my research both are popular options and it's mostly the OME shock that gives a rough ride.

Thank you!!
Deleted AHC on my 04 LX last year and went through multiple setups before landing on OEM shocks, OEM bars and OEM rear shocks. I run it at stock weight other than a winch on the front with Trail Tailor's hidden winch mount and this is the most comfortable setup I've used. OME torsion bars and OME 860 rear shocks resulted in a 1.5" lift with a very harsh ride. Dobinson's rear springs with OEM torsion bars cranked a bit for a 1" lift were better, but still harsher than I'd prefer. OEM everything is the way to go with stock weight. Like someone else said, the OEM torsion bars have plenty of room to crank for a small lift to complement 30mm rear spring spacers if you want it higher. I have 33" tires on mine and it looks good at stock height (20.5" rear - 19.75" front hub to fender).

Deleted AHC on my 04 LX last year and went through multiple setups before landing on OEM shocks, OEM bars and OEM rear shocks. I run it at stock weight other than a winch on the front with Trail Tailor's hidden winch mount and this is the most comfortable setup I've used. OME torsion bars and OME 860 rear shocks resulted in a 1.5" lift with a very harsh ride. Dobinson's rear springs with OEM torsion bars cranked a bit for a 1" lift were better, but still harsher than I'd prefer. OEM everything is the way to go with stock weight. Like someone else said, the OEM torsion bars have plenty of room to crank for a small lift to complement 30mm rear spring spacers if you want it higher. I have 33" tires on mine and it looks good at stock height (20.5" rear - 19.75" front hub to fender).

I have OME torsion bars with OEM shocks front still feels a bit stiff but i figured it was my mud terrain tires. Did you find a noticeable change going from OME torision bars to OEM?

I have OME torsion bars with OEM shocks front still feels a bit stiff but i figured it was my mud terrain tires. Did you find a noticeable change going from OME torision bars to OEM?
Yes, it's a night and day difference. Without a lot of extra weight on the front, the OME torsion bars are very harsh. The problem is the OEM torsion bars are 2-2.5x as much as OME bars, so check the classifieds here.

@MuddSlideSlim or anyone else what UCAs are you running with OEM shocks? I was planning on getting SPC.

Last edited:
@MuddSlideSlim or anyone else what UCAs are you running with OEM shocks? I was planning on getting SPC.

Im running SPC with 2 degrees of caster i dont even need to hold the wheel anymore it just goes straight.

I found this information in another thread here. OEM is definitely the way to go if you want the smoothest riding torsion bars.

Torsion bar diameters:
AHC equipped: 26.2mm
Toyota OEM: 28mm
OME: 30mm
IronMan/ToughDog/SwayAway: 32mm

Im running OEM shocks and OME 2.5 bar and springs. Much better than OME shocks in terms of ride quality.
1000%

I've installed this same setup on a few trucks and the owners were always super happy.

Also SPC upper control arms are junk, they have chinese ball joints that go bad very quick. From my experience.

1000%

I've installed this same setup on a few trucks and the owners were always super happy.

Also SPC upper control arms are junk, they have chinese ball joints that go bad very quick. From my experience.

I have the SPC UCA and I've heard the early batches of ball joint were garbage. Mine so far are good, a year later, but I'm not too concerned because changing them out appears very easy.

1000%

I've talked to three people known in the LC world this week regarding OEM shocks working great and subjectively stating OME are harsh.

Nothing really to add here as my experience mirrors most of the above posters and I've run Tokico shocks on almost all of my Land Cruisers for ~20 years. However, my favorite suspension combination ever on a lightweight build was OME mediums and Bilstein OEM replacement shocks on my 94. The bilsteins were just a bit better at controlling body roll on curvy roads. However, at $80 per corner (vs $30 for Tokicos) they weren't enough better for me to buy them again.

My current 99 is on ironman springs with PO installed Bilsteins, and I will probably go with Ironman shocks when it is time as the Bilsteins don't quite keep up with this much weight--rear sleeping platform, tools, sliders, slee rear bumper, and tire carrier

Following up on this, would it be a bad idea to run aftermarket springs in the rear and OEM torsion bars in the front? I have dobinsons UCA and they require a min 1.5-inch lift to get proper alignment. The only reason I'm asking is that I'm apprehensive about putting spacers in the rear with OEM springs. Again I'm running basically stock weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom