oem roof rack help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I loosened the knob on my oem lc 80 roof carrier crossbars, and cant seem to thread them back in. Does anyone out there have a tip or trick to get them back in?

Thanks!
Marcus

Please do not take any offense to this at all, but it is recommended you remove the rack and get something more secure. They are old. have rust under them (no matter where you are at ) and the sun has been deteriorating the plastic on them for a long time by now. Only rust i found on mine was when removing the rack and found some of the bolts weren't even still "attached" anymore. If you need a rack, please consider removal and replace with just about anything else out there that clamps to the gutters.

Please do not take any offense to this at all, but it is recommended you remove the rack and get something more secure. They are old. have rust under them (no matter where you are at ) and the sun has been deteriorating the plastic on them for a long time by now. Only rust i found on mine was when removing the rack and found some of the bolts weren't even still "attached" anymore. If you need a rack, please consider removal and replace with just about anything else out there that clamps to the gutters.
No offense taken whatsoever. Thank you so much for the kindly suggestion. Do you sir, have any special recommendation for an Adventure roof rack? Thank you and best regards

Easy fix, just take it through a car wash in Fort Worth, they have a new roof rack removal option.

IMG_0922.JPG

Paydday: That is awful. Bummer. Positive vibes your way. Please let us know how that gets resolved.

@Paydday found out those auto carwashes don't do insurance for plastic panels on vehicles over some determined years old. However that sunroof and metal caught is horrible. I normally give people the benefit of the doubt but with that i might come out swinging. Check to see if they had some height limit signs that your cruiser exceeds. But something is serious wrong for it to do that.

It won't be very cheap to fix that but it is fixable.

@mDobro there are lots of nice ones, anything from just gutter mount cross bars up to the really fancy full length gutter rails with clamps. Check out front runner, delta vs, bowfin cruisers, prinsu, dissent offroad as well as Yakima etc and you will see what people are running. I have a bowfin and use it for kayaks, roof top tents, drywall and plywood etc .. you get the idea. There are a few threads here on good racks and it is ok to post in an old thread.

@mDobro Stock Roof Rack Mount Cleanup - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/stock-roof-rack-mount-cleanup.1282040/
and Witts End sells a stock roof rack delete kit.. basically stuff you need to close up the holes and seal things up long term.

If you park in a garage you need to make sure you are looking for a rack that will still fit in the garage.

@mDobro

Lots of great options for racks as stated above.

Probably already known on your end, but for the fun of discussion there are a number of rack selection decision points including:
  • what you want/need to carry on the roof
  • the look you are going for
  • budget
  • availability
  • compatibility with add-ons you want to use
  • weight (these rigs can get top heavy)
  • wind noise
  • height / parking clearance
  • etc. etc.
Once I had the factory rack off my 80 I really liked that there was less wind noise and concern about random city parking garage heights. Those benefits pushed me towards Thule (Yakima, etc. are equivalent) cross bars/feet so that I can easily have a clean roof whenever I want. If I do have anything on the roof it's typically the cross bars and a large rooftop box which is pretty quiet, holds all sorts of gear (great for bulky lightweight stuff) and is secure for urban parking.

You can partially see my current roof setup here (next to my old VW that a friend now owns):

80 camping.jpg

If you do anything fun with the rack share a few photos and updates.

@mDobro

Lots of great options for racks as stated above.

Probably already known on your end, but for the fun of discussion there are a number of rack selection decision points including:
  • what you want/need to carry on the roof
  • the look you are going for
  • budget
  • availability
  • compatibility with add-ons you want to use
  • weight (these rigs can get top heavy)
  • wind noise
  • height / parking clearance
  • etc. etc.
Once I had the factory rack off my 80 I really liked that there was less wind noise and concern about random city parking garage heights. Those benefits pushed me towards Thule (Yakima, etc. are equivalent) cross bars/feet so that I can easily have a clean roof whenever I want. If I do have anything on the roof it's typically the cross bars and a large rooftop box which is pretty quiet, holds all sorts of gear (great for bulky lightweight stuff) and is secure for urban parking.

You can partially see my current roof setup here (next to my old VW that a friend now owns):

View attachment 2988517

If you do anything fun with the rack share a few photos and updates.
Thanks for the solid suggestions. I have a similar large Thule roof box which i plan on mounting, but don’t want it to interfere with the swing of the rear clamshell opening and the air dam that is mounted there. Does your setup provide for plenty of clearance there?

@mDobro

My 80 doesn't have the extra wind deflector or wing above the rear window so I don't know if it would clear the box or not.

The box I have extends past the rear hatch on the new thule bars (though I could move it forward) and did on the factory rack too and doesn't/didn't contact it at all when the hatch is fully open. The closest point of contact on mine is the rear window spray nozzle but there's plenty of clearance, esp. on the new rack as it raised the bottom of the box up a little.

As others have stated, the factory roof rack is not that strong. I tried to convince myself it was good enough however after disassembly I found that my roof rack was "secured" with sheet metal screws into the roof skin. One good tug and it would have popped off.

The rust under the rear passenger side mount was pretty horrific with no indication of any rust until I lifted the mount and large flakes fell out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom