OBD2 Port on HDJ100 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys

Do the diesel 100 series have an OBD2 port? If so where do I find it?
This vehicle is RHD and has the 1HD-FTE.
Looking in petrol LHD locations has proved fruitless.

Depends on the region they were made for but it is by the base of the brake pedal on the ones in the UK. Having the port doesn't mean an ODBII reader will work though, again it depends where it was made for with the USA seeming to get ODBII much earlier than the UK / Europe.

Depends on the region they were made for but it is by the base of the brake pedal on the ones in the UK. Having the port doesn't mean an ODBII reader will work though, again it depends where it was made for with the USA seeming to get ODBII much earlier than the UK / Europe.

Thanks.
Once we find the port, the next question is "can it talk to a scangauge?"
I think I know the answer already, but we have the cruiser and the scangauge so we will try.

I've tried looking up the info. on a Japanese site, but cannot recall what I found out (It was a similar diagnostic gadget utilizing the OBDII).

IIRC, it didn't seem too encouraging... :frown:

Put your vehicle year and model info in your sig line so we don't have to ask for it each time you ask a question.
My 2003 build vehicle has the port but is not enabled for OBD-II, I expect MOBD though. Not sure but it's possible 2005 on vehicles may be OBD-II compliant.
The OZ vehicle ports are the same spot as the UK.

Put your vehicle year and model info in your sig line so we don't have to ask for it each time you ask a question.
My 2003 build vehicle has the port but is not enabled for OBD-II, I expect MOBD though. Not sure but it's possible 2005 on vehicles may be OBD-II compliant.
The OZ vehicle ports are the same spot as the UK.

This isn't my vehicle, that's why it's not in my sig.
But it's a NZ new 2001 HDJ100 VX Limited. I don't know whether it's the same as UK or Aus spec vehicles. It does have the indicator stalk on the left of the steering column, which suggests UK spec. Where is the indicator on your AU model?

I'll have a hunt by the brake pedal next time I get a chance.

Bet you'll find M-OBD - the toyota special.
This one oughta work, but haven't tested it: Scanner - Scantool - OBDI - MOBD
But, if you find a way of using the ScanGauge, let us know how:)

ODBII is a USA thing...
Hdj are not sells in US, why Toyota would have wasted time to have them ODBII compliants ?

ODBII is a USA thing...
Hdj are not sells in US, why Toyota would have wasted time to have them ODBII compliants ?

It's not just a USA thing.

It's not just a USA thing.
Well, from "I don't remember what year" ALL cars (using gas) sold in US must be able to be easily and electronicaly tested using the same method.
That's why the connector is always around the driver area with a "no tool needed" access and that's why available data are admission,ignition and exaust related.
The goal was to check the engine efficiency and determine the pollution level
So, as Toyota already has his own ( more complex and powerfull) communication protocol and as Toyota doesn't share technical things, why would they waste time doing something nobody ask for ?

Some other country may use ODB, but it was first a US requirement...That's what I meant

Well, from "I don't remember what year" ALL cars (using gas) sold in US must be able to be easily and electronicaly tested using the same method.
That's why the connector is always around the driver area with a "no tool needed" access and that's why available data are admission,ignition and exaust related.
The goal was to check the engine efficiency and determine the pollution level
So, as Toyota already has his own ( more complex and powerfull) communication protocol and as Toyota doesn't share technical things, why would they waste time doing something nobody ask for ?

Some other country may use ODB, but it was first a US requirement...That's what I meant

Yes in a US car it's guaranteed to be there. But I've found many european cars also use the OBD2 plug and protocols (scangauges work on them).
I've found several japanese cars (1998 onwards) which have the same OBD2 plug but not the same protocol, scangauges won't work on them.

This particular landcruiser is built offshore and imported complete, I suspect it is exactly the same spec as UK models so there's a small chance it may be OBD2 compliant. Unfortunately I haven't been back to check since I posted this.

But I've found many european cars also use the OBD2 plug and protocols (scangauges work on them).
Yes, I'm sure...VW, Volvo, BMW, Benz, Saab, Opel... cars also sold in USA

I suspect it is exactly the same spec as UK models so there's a small chance it may be OBD2 compliant.
I'm agree with you, would be same spec.
Sadly, test have been done on earlier LHD Euro HDJ100 and they were not ODB compliant
I don't remember the production year... hope you're gonna have more luck than my friend.
I heard post '02 diesel engine sold in Europe would be ODBII compliant... so...
I'm gonna ask some friends for you...

Yes, I'm sure...VW, Volvo, BMW, Benz, Saab, Opel... cars also sold in USA

I'm talking engines that we'ren't sold in the US in RHD cars.
OBD2 has become a standard for diagnostics, while it started in the US it's worldwide now.

I'm agree with you, would be same spec.
Sadly, test have been done on earlier LHD Euro HDJ100 and they were not ODB compliant
I don't remember the production year... hope you're gonna have more luck than my friend.
I heard post '02 diesel engine sold in Europe would be ODBII compliant... so...
I'm gonna ask some friends for you...

That's a shame, but thanks. This vehicle is 01 I think, europe got a commonrail version of the 1HD-FTE at some stage with a variable vane turbo. This vehicle has the VE pump and CT26 turbo.

That's a shame, but thanks. This vehicle is 01 I think, europe got a commonrail version of the 1HD-FTE at some stage with a variable vane turbo. This vehicle has the VE pump and CT26 turbo.
I'm not sure, but I think this engine came in '02
With an Adonis chip, you can have 295hp (no warranty issue, sold by dealer)!!!

OBD2 has become a standard for diagnostics, while it started in the US it's worldwide now.
I'm not sure, but I think this engine came in '02
With an Adonis chip, you can have 295hp (no warranty issue, sold by dealer)!!!
There is no commonrail version of the 1HD. I've seen the "rail" reference of Adonis - don't know what they refer to, but it might be the "rail" of valves on the intake manifold on the latest versions, regulating the intake flow speed by closing one of the two ports/valves for each cylinder. I suggest that someone French-speaking contact them to find out the difference between the four versions they list. Hint hint. (Wish I could, tried a course: French for beginners once - the instructor was cute...)

When it comes to scan tools, I see the HDJ100 listed as having M-OBD, which is a Toyota version. There is a conflict though - EU specs says it has to be EOBD compliant from 2002, but, as far as I have heard, they are not. Think the tool linked to in post 7 will give you some info. Best thing is to buy the Toyota Tester, except for the cost. Good idea for a club-tool-set for each LC-club around the world.

There is no commonrail version of the 1HD. I've seen the "rail" reference of Adonis - don't know what they refer to, but it might be the "rail" of valves on the intake manifold on the latest versions, regulating the intake flow speed by closing one of the two ports/valves for each cylinder. I suggest that someone French-speaking contact them to find out the difference between the four versions they list. Hint hint. (Wish I could, tried a course: French for beginners once - the instructor was cute...)

Toyota calls it a 292F. Same displacement and layout as the 1HD-FTE but variable vane turbo and I don't know what else. In New Zealand we missed out on that engine.

I was skiing in France earlier this year.:) Unfortunately the locals in ski towns are not friendly to people speaking english. My swedish friends didn't get on much better.

1HD-FT was the 95 trough 98 LC80's diesel engine, it became "E" for the 100, with electronic injection from 99
Vane turbo ( geometrie variable) appears in 01 or 02, and also liquid cooled egr.

I'll send a request to Adonis... my french is better than my english :D

1HD-FT was the 95 trough 98 LC80's diesel engine, it became "E" for the 100, with electronic injection from 99
Vane turbo ( geometrie variable) appears in 01 or 02, and also liquid cooled egr.

I'll send a request to Adonis... my french is better than my english :D
That's our man, hereby officially so.
Merci beaucoup so far.

That's our man, hereby officially so.
Merci beaucoup so far.
You're welcome :)
Could you show me what exactly you'd like to have more information on (a link to the page is ok)

On this page, Adonis Technolgy / Produits , under HDJ100, they list 4 versions, each with more HP & torq than the preceding one. The first, I presume, is the plain vanilla one that was from 98 to 2001, and the 2nd is with the variable turbo. But the 3rd and 4th option? What is "Raid" & what is "Multiplex"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom