OBD1 reader app, temp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1072.JPG
hey guys,

I have an OBD1 reader app/ Bluetooth dongle and was testing it this afternoon. It is showing at idle once at temp at 203 and didn't go above that. A small gas tap brought it to 195 and it would creep back up. Outside temp is a humid 89-90 and I do have a modified fan clutch and aux fan running. Coolant is toyota red serviced less than a year ago.

If I set the hand throttle at 1500-1700 it runs at less than 190.

I have it alarmed at 212, but never got close.

Wanted to make sure that 203 is a fairly normal temp.

About 226°F (108°C) is when the AC cuts out to help reduce engine coolant temp. that's when I become hyper-aware.

AC resumes when it falls below 220°F (105°C)

Mine runs between 88~95°C (190~203°F) unless I'm pulling my trailer on a hot day.

I run Toyota Red, Blue clutch fan hub, water wetter.

203* sounds normal to me, especially at idle.

What OBD1 scan gauge are you running?

Glad you made it home alright.

Im using this same reader on my 94.
I saw 203 going up that steep grade on 25 from Greenville SC into NC line. I had the air on and the pedal floored, I actually hit 80mph up that hill. Around town this summer 193 is the highest I've seen.
I have a completely new cooling system rad, cap, water pump, stock blue fan clutch, belts and hoses. Timing set at 3 BTDC. I do wonder how accurate any of these readers really are.
Ive heard the a new version of the TOYOBD1 is coming out this year and it will allow us to read codes like the OBD2 systems.

Im using this same reader on my 94.
I saw 203 going up that steep grade on 25 from Greenville SC into NC line. I had the air on and the pedal floored, I actually hit 80mph up that hill. Around town this summer 193 is the highest I've seen.
I have a completely new cooling system rad, cap, water pump, stock blue fan clutch, belts and hoses. Timing set at 3 BTDC. I do wonder how accurate any of these readers really are.
Ive heard the a new version of the TOYOBD1 is coming out this year and it will allow us to read codes like the OBD2 systems.

I believe you told me about it. I am looking for the link to post.

I believe he is getting ready to do an update model that can read and dismiss codes. Not 100% but if he does they are cheap enough to swap out. I wish he did an IPhone app though.

So I am talking with the guy who makes these readers. He said he can make it work to monitor trans temp as well but he needs a range/ max to work with. Anyone know what that should be?

So I am talking with the guy who makes these readers. He said he can make it work to monitor trans temp as well but he needs a range/ max to work with. Anyone know what that should be?

Ooh! I'll be happy to do some research if this can be added in! In any case, I'll be buying one of these!

Where can I find out more information about the ZF scan tool? I can't seem to find too terribly much on the site.

That would be a trick. There's no temperature measurement capability / sensor in the transmission of the 80 series.

For the A442F (93 and 94 models) the ATF temp warning light is set to come on at 150C (302F). The light is set to go off when the temp drops below 120C (248F).

That would be a trick. There's no temperature measurement capability / sensor in the transmission of the 80 series.

I am aware of that. Madman gauges from South Africa I believe uses a sensor that replaces the drain bolt with a sensor bolt. He stated that any 0-5v sensor would work and could be easily put in as an external pin on the Bluetooth dongle. He said our OBD1 ports have empty pins as well if we wanted a more factory look.

For the A442F (93 and 94 models) the ATF temp warning light is set to come on at 150C (302F). The light is set to go off when the temp drops below 120C (248F).

I knew the light was around 300. I was told our fluid basically turns to varnish around 260. I assume zero to maybe 230 would acceptable?

Where can I find out more information about the ZF scan tool? I can't seem to find too terribly much on the site.

Join their FB group. The designer is active there and answers everyone's questions

Question about this little gem,

Is it simply a Bluetooth "dongle" that plugs into the OBD1 port on our cars? Download, the app, and away you go on your Droid phone?

Good God....if that IS what this is, it's already "late" for being bought. Where have I been? How have I missed this?

Here I was thinking I would be lucky to just add a KOSO temp guage and call it good on my 94' TLC.

This is just wonderful!

How useful are folks finding this device? Can a guy take his phone out to the engine compartment and have real time data while tuning up? For example, use it to help set timing?

Wow! More reading what little info there is on this is in order, but holy FZJ80 Batman....this is an awesome seeming tool.

Any tips and tricks from owners here? I'm itching to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom