OBD recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RET2

SILVER Star
Threads
Time has come to obtain a OBD 2 tool any recommendations? I would prefer one that tells me what the codes mean if possible. Thx.

I’ve used the ultra gauge for a few years. Nice but wired. I just ordered a wifi OBD connector last night and bought the Torque Pro app for iOS. Nothing to report obviously but lots of info on the YouTube. Code reader as well as live readings of temp, voltmeter, speed, etc.

Torque bluetooth is awesome. You can nerd out plotting o2 sensor voltages etc....

I'm torn between stand alone units and those that use your phone. Having to have a second unit ( phone) would seem to complicate the task as I am not a do-everything with my phone. Guess I'm stuck in Flintstone-ville.
UPDATE ok, so it's time to get into 2020 so which dongle does everyone suggest, going the Torque Pro way?

Last edited:
I have admittedly only used the Torque version and have paired to a phone, table, and computer.

I personally use BlueDriver for mine, I am unfamiliar with the other one but BlueDriver sounds comparable, it was and has been the highest rated Bluetooth one.
Another point to think about is that I leave my scanner on the port all the time so if I ever need anything I just open the app and it’s there...

I have a Bluetooth one and run torque on my android stereo and watch vitals while driving, down at the bottom.

il_794xN.2067992253_9abf.jpg

I have the Ultra gauge and it pretty simple to use and plugs into the OBD2 connector.

Why not do both units? I’ve run my hardwired version 1.0 ultra gauge for over 10 years with a y splitter to not worry about CA smog tests. You could then use a bluetooth tester as well if the occasion ever called to it.

Reactions: KTP
I have both. Ultragauge and bluetooth reader using Dash Command . Ultra gauge is always plugged in. Bluetooth not so much. Simpler display of information. Turn the rig on and I see it. Dash Command gotta go to app, wait to pair. If I need iPad or phone for something else (music, maps, Gaia, phone etc) no engine information is displayed. Way more information with Dash Command though, or maybe the presentation is just better.

@RET2 what truck is this for? If the 200... do you really need an "always on" monitoring system or is this for checking here and there, to read codes, etc...? If the latter... then just go the cheap bluetooth route, if you need more add the ultragauge later. I've never felt the need to monitor temps, etc... not on a truck that's only 8 years old and purrs like a kitten (ok tiger).

Way beyond the degraded abilities of my old eyes but certainly eye candy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom