[Not] Looking for 60/70 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Was out at Baps last Tuesday and had a blast with y'all. Would love the join the club. But first I'm in need of a cruiser. :)

Top pick would be a 73/74 diesel or a 60/62. And preferably a manual transmission. But I know a lot of the guys were encouraging a 80/100 series.

The cruiser would be my daily driver (so it needs to run well!).

I'm all over facebook marketplace, MUD, and craigslist and have a few spotted out but wanted to ask the club in case one of you is looking to offload a good car for a newcomer.

Let me know and thank you!
-Stephen

There's this: For Sale - Vista CA Land Cruiser Prado for sale $28,000 OBO - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/vista-ca-land-cruiser-prado-for-sale-28-000-obo.1303593/#post-14894864

I wouldn't recommend a 70 or any vintage LC as your first LC, and def not as a DD. Unless you have good mechanical skills and a back up vehicle, and lots of money. Owning one of these is like a boat, purchase price is just the entry fee...and its better to know a friend with one, that will let you ride in it once in a while....

Start with something more reasonable like an 80 or a 100, then go from there.

The same can be said for any high mileage 80 where you don't have explicit knowledge of its history...
Said as I am still coming to grips with an ongoing $7K engine rebuild, following a $3K head gasket job a year ago, on a great 160K mile 80 12mpg that I paid $18K for four years ago immediately sank $2K into to fixing the brakes, steering, leaking roof and other broken items, and have only put 10K miles on since buying... $30K in and counting so far, just sayin'... But I still love it and it is my forever truck that my wife is considering how much it will cost to bury me in when the time comes.

This is very helpful. Good tempering of my expectations. The owner of the listed Prado wasn’t responsive.

Would a 4 Runner be another option I could look into?

Also, any thoughts on a directly imported 70 from Japan? Does that change the dynamic or still probably a money pit since its a 30+ year old car.

This is very helpful. Good tempering of my expectations. The owner of the listed Prado wasn’t responsive.

Would a 4 Runner be another option I could look into?

Also, any thoughts on a directly imported 70 from Japan? Does that change the dynamic or still probably a money pit since its a 30+ year old car.
As you might have seen at the last meeting both Rich's 2018 and Ted's 2015 4-Runners are very capable nicely upgraded rigs. So, heck yeah, absolutely, 4-Runners are a great option.

When first digesting the news of my '97 80 engine's poor health and while debating what to do about it, one of my considered options was to sell the truck for a fair price and apply that cash towards a newer 100 or 200 series LC or 4-Runner. It didn't take me too much research along those lines to determine that spending $7K was THE low cost solution for my dilemma. At best, and being honest about a damaged engine, I might have gotten $25K for my LC, at best, but I would have had to add at least $10K to that to get into a newer 4-Runner (and likely one with over 100K miles on its clock at that...) and would still need to add at least $10-15K to that to get me to about what I have in my LC now in terms of off road capability (suspension and drive train mods, bumpers, winch, roof rack, lighting, etc).

I think the bottom line on these trucks is that they are like any other hobby, something you spend time and money on that is fun to you and that you enjoy playing with, working on, customizing, and enjoying the company of others who love them as you do. With their poor MPG and relatively high maintenance costs, are they practical daily driver or commuter vehicles, not really, but they are fun in their element.

Thank you all for the input! The reality is a little more settling that what I had dreamed up in my mind. With that being said, I'm game to learn and make some memories. It'll cost some $$ but hey, money is just a tool anyway.

Got a cruiser (y'all will hate me for not listening to you regarding what I got) and am having an AC compressor issue - i believe. The bearing in the clutch might be going bad.

Do you goes know of a local AC shop that would take a look at it? Thank you!

Depends on what you ended up getting! Pictures or it didn't really happen!

What part of the county are you in? That way we can send you some here closer to you.

IMG_4615.jpeg

You can find the listing in the classifieds and read about the adventure I had. Long story short - it cost a LOT of money but I got to meet Georg at Valley Hybrids.

I’m in Carlsbad. I reached out to Noah at Noah’s Arks and he’s getting spine surgery next week.

Honestly I’m reconsidering my life choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom