North Rim/Jacob Lake July Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought we'd (@jclarke450) get the wheels turning early. We want to escape the heat and the area up there is wonderful for that. We've explored some nice, easy forested trails and a couple with moderate ratings.
Looking to make it a 3-4 day trip over the July 22-25 weekend. That's two weeks after the 4th and about two weeks before school starts.
Ideas? Questions? Interest? Toss it all in here.

UPDATED 7/12/16 THIS WILL BE EPIC!!!

General Notes. You will need a pass for the National Park. you can purchase a 7 day pass at the entrance if you dont already have an annual pass. If you cant make the whole weekend, we can accommodate. Just let us know your expected arrival and departure. Trip will be dog friendly..as long as you have a friendly dog. :)

Thursday 7/21/16 PM Drive to Flagstaff. Camping options are open. @Pitch , may have some options for Thursday night. Our family will most likely be staying at a hotel due to other things going on that day.

Friday 7/22/16 9AM Depart Flagstaff We will depart from the Conoco Travel Center. Address is 7180 US-89 Flagstaff, Az 86004.
Expect stops in Gap and Jacob Lake for restroom and gas as needed. From there we will head to setup camp. Hopefully being early afternoon on a Friday we will have preferred spots.

Ideally, we will be camped on the Northwest corner of Three Lakes/Jackson Tank area. THis is the essentially the intersection of FSR 217 and FSR 282. GPS coordinates for you techies is 36 38' 26" N and 112 13' 16" W. This is a VERY obvious campsite. If it is already crowded, we will camp on the SE corner of Three Lakes. A half mile or so on the SE side is a great spot that will accommodate many vehicles. We will mark with bright Red tape where the final campsite is. Any one going slow around the the Three Lakes area will be able to find us. This will be our base camp for the ENTIRE weekend.

If time and daylight permit, we can make a run to the N Rim lodge on Friday afternoon/evening for those who desire. You will need a NP pass/Permit or purchase a 7 day permit on Entry.

POT LUCK DINNER on FRIDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Discuss your offering in comments?

Saturday 7/23/16 The plan is to Hit Pt. Sublime, Fire Point and Timp Point all on Saturday. This will make a for a full day. If weather shortens or any other calamity, we will shorten as needed. Gorgeous views and easy dirt road cruising at 5-9k feet.

Sunday 7/24/16 Goal will be to hit the Three Fire Towers Trail. This is 4-6 hours. We will have the opportunity to climb to the top of the towers and look around in small groups. This is another pretty easy viewing day. I anticipate some time in the afternoon to head to N. Rim if anyone wants to hit the lodge or do other stuff there after the 3 Fire Towers Trail Tour.

Monday 7/25/16 We will depart about 9am and take the Buffalo Ranch Trail. This is a scenic drop into the area east of the GC that take us toward home. It will be about 2-3 hours before we hit highway after starting the trail. We will gas up at Jacob Lake before departing. From here is it just a highway drive back home.

We are really looking forward to this trip for so many reasons. I will add some more detail in the next week, and look forward to seeing all who can make the trip.

Current List of Attendees...Please comment if not attending.

@Saddletramp
@Rudster
@Chrismanjs
@Pitch out
@verruckt1
@1Louder out
@Dissent
@brices123
@Otter
@Rooty245
@ftbshop out
@CruisinAz
@Living in the Past ??
@LongDuck
@Mattman
@cmkzLCmama
@LandCruiserPhil ?? out
@wtmtnterror
@Dimples ?? Ron are you in?
@Cruddz

NEW DETAILS ON TRIP....Maps will be provided for all on Friday morning at the gas station before departure. For anyone coming late, please send me a PM so I can email you a copy. Sorry @LandCruiserPhil , @ftbshop , @Pitch , and @1Louder are out. Supposed to be a warm one even at Jacob Lake with Highs in the 90s. North rim shows 80s for a high. Nights will be nice, but I'm guessing we wont deal with any frost bite issues this trip.

Last edited:
I'd be up for this.

Three of the mapped trails we've tried...
20160220_185752.jpg
20160220_185807.jpg
20160220_190049.jpg

So much beautiful, stocker-friendly terrain up there. And, in the heart of Monsoon season to boot!

Are y
So much beautiful, stocker-friendly terrain up there. And, in the heart of Monsoon season to boot!
Are you in or a maybe?. We missed you on the DV trip. We were putting a basketball team together and have Pete n Chris as forwards and need you as center.

Are y

Are you in or a maybe?. We missed you on the DV trip. We were putting a basketball team together and have Pete n Chris as forwards and need you as center.

Heh. I am very, very retired. And, I have only seen Chris's post moves after a few Bohemias in Mexico. Not sure we should be relying on either of us for a post presence!

With regards to the Norte Rim, consider me very interested. But unwilling to commit at such an early date. I do have some good recommendations for that area that I should share with our fearless leader for the weekend, too!

Point Sublime and Fire Point are great but both require a permit. You have to fax or mail in with payment and pick the dates you "hope to get"/ want. A week or so later the park folks will tell you if the date is available. We booked this last 4th of July weekend. I was awesome. We had 5 vehicles. There was one other couple legally camping out there and one or two illegally. There is nothing like camping right at the edge of the canyon.

There is plenty of open camping on the way out to Firepoint and the other areas mentioned. Gas in GAP is the cheapest generally and a total rip off everywhere else so I alway stop in Gap and then just add a few gallons in Jacob Lake or the country store before the NR entrance. There is a nice back country way to the highway into the NR via Buffalo Ranch road. It only takes a couple of hours and also goes by some of the popular camping spots. I can dig up the GPX track if you want it. You end up just north of the country store.

Heh. I am very, very retired. And, I have only seen Chris's post moves after a few Bohemias in Mexico. Not sure we should be relying on either of us for a post presence!

With regards to the Norte Rim, consider me very interested. But unwilling to commit at such an early date. I do have some good recommendations for that area that I should share with our fearless leader for the weekend, too!

Pretty sure it was Pacifico but who's counting? At least I brought limes, and koozies. Pretty darn classy for Baha!

As for the team, they used to call me Tomahawk Kracht. Just point out the best player on the opposing team and I will take them out.

I might be going up again this year around 4th of July so I am likely out for this trip. I am happy to dispense any info I have though.

You can also always chance getting a spot at Point Sublime or Fire Point day of by visiting the Back Country Office at the NR. Only problem is I don't believe they are open on weekends. There is also one ok spot just outside of the entrance to Fire Point that is technically outside of the park.

I'm interested in this one, sounds like a nice run and a great time to get out of the valley.

We are a definite "Maybe". No kids though.

Jason & Erin,

Is your thought to establish a camp, then explore each day from there?

I cannot remember, how long is the drive up to the north rim?

We would have a base camp about 20 mins or so from the Jacob lake general store. Drive up is about 6 hours for phx folk depending on traffic.

Jason & Erin,

Is your thought to establish a camp, then explore each day from there?

I cannot remember, how long is the drive up to the north rim?
Yes, our thought was to do a base camp in forest service open camping area, 15-20min from general store (between store and North entrance).
It's about 7 hours for us from down here. Adjust for your location...and traffic. We've found fast to Flag, slowing through Flag to the Gap. Can cruise after that until the climb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom