Normal Noises?? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2008 LC three weeks old that has 1200 miles on it. I am new to the LC world and have two noises that I was told by the dealer are normal:

1) Upon slow acceleration I hear and feel a subtle clunk at around 2-3 mph that seems to come from underneath the rear of the car. It occurs only some of the time. This sounds similar to what dtt255 posted a few weeks ago. Dealer didn't feel or hear anything abnormal. Any more thoughts?

2) Braking is accompanied by a hissing sound that occurs usually when first applying the pedal; it usually does not occur upon pumping the pedal a second or third time. The brakes seem to otherwise function normally. Have never heard this sort of sound on any of my other vehicles (including my wife's FJ Cruiser), but the dealer assures me this is a normal LC braking sound.

I am a bit paranoid: I have gone through hell and back with multiple problems with a 2004 VW Touareg the last three years. I came over to Toyota because of its excellent rep for reliability. Hopefully I am just being oversensitive with these LC noises. Appreciate hearing from some more experienced voices.

Can sympathise with the VW experience. Been there done that.

Toyota's are usually 100%.

I have a new 200 series, am very fussy and will pick up on the slightest fault, but in 4500 km so far it's faultless. I've not noticed either of the items you've noted but both sound plausible.

I do have what I'd call a click rather than clunk from the rear underneath only when first pulling away after startup. I believe that is traction control or some such thing setting itself up.

The brakes are superb and I've never needed to pump the pedal.

I have a 2008 LC three weeks old that has 1200 miles on it. I am new to the LC world and have two noises that I was told by the dealer are normal:

1) Upon slow acceleration I hear and feel a subtle clunk at around 2-3 mph that seems to come from underneath the rear of the car. It occurs only some of the time. This sounds similar to what dtt255 posted a few weeks ago. Dealer didn't feel or hear anything abnormal. Any more thoughts?

2) Braking is accompanied by a hissing sound that occurs usually when first applying the pedal; it usually does not occur upon pumping the pedal a second or third time. The brakes seem to otherwise function normally. Have never heard this sort of sound on any of my other vehicles (including my wife's FJ Cruiser), but the dealer assures me this is a normal LC braking sound.

I am a bit paranoid: I have gone through hell and back with multiple problems with a 2004 VW Touareg the last three years. I came over to Toyota because of its excellent rep for reliability. Hopefully I am just being oversensitive with these LC noises. Appreciate hearing from some more experienced voices.

I have noted the clunking in another thread...just do a search for my username and the thread called "First Issue"

Congrats....lets see some pics!

some ideas-

1) loose spare tire,
loose tire jack or accessories in the back

My 2002 4Runners ABS unit makes a hiising and clicking noise sometimes. For example, when I'm comming to a stop, I apply the brakes and I hear a "hissssssssss-tick-click" from the passenger firewall. If it sounds similar to that, then ignore it. Although I find it odd, since th3 02 4Runners only had this unique noise. My FJ doesn't make it. Probably the new LC and the 02 4Runners have something in common ;)

As for the clunk, DT's thread will solve your problem with the clunking. Remember, these aren't things that'll cause you to break down.

I will follow up with the dealer as suggested in dtt255s earlier posts regarding the "clunk". Glad to hear the brake hiss is normal "air brake" sound. That is what the dealer told me as well.

I will post some pics soon (we got the Sonora Gold Pearl -looks awesome).
As a LC rookie I appreciate all the help. The FJ we have has been flawless. I just hope the LC (at almost triple the price) is of the same high quality.

Thanks,

jjmcd

I will follow up with the dealer as suggested in dtt255s earlier posts regarding the "clunk". Glad to hear the brake hiss is normal "air brake" sound. That is what the dealer told me as well.

I will post some pics soon (we got the Sonora Gold Pearl -looks awesome).
As a LC rookie I appreciate all the help. The FJ we have has been flawless. I just hope the LC (at almost triple the price) is of the same high quality.

Thanks,

jjmcd

I was jokin about the air brakes. It should not make any sound. Have them fix the brakes.

I have heard the clunk sound a couple of times myself. Wondered at first what I had loose in the back. Happened with me when I was getting into the gas a bit from a stop.

I have heard the clunk sound a couple of times myself. Wondered at first what I had loose in the back. Happened with me when I was getting into the gas a bit from a stop.
Typical Toyota Clunk.

My 98 4Runner 5spd M/T doesn't clunk. I think this is because when the clutch is released, it takes off the load from the driveshaft. Other than that, my old 100 did it, both my auto 4Runners did it, my FJ does it, my old 80 did it. Come to think of it, my 80 did it alot more.

The brake sound is the "Air Brakes" they have to use to stop that beast. :)
Oh my, I guess many people hear this “psssss/hssss” sound ? I really wonder what that is. My LX570 has this, when depressing the pedal, hsssss, osss, it’s like an office chair!

Oh my, I guess many people hear this “psssss/hssss” sound ? I really wonder what that is. My LX570 has this, when depressing the pedal, hsssss, osss, it’s like an office chair!
Wow, you sir... win the thread revival award!

Not being a smart ass, I think it’s cool we have this kind of knowledge base available.

The brake noise is normal, and you're hearing it as the car is so quiet. It's the electro-hydraulic brake system at work. Possibly the vacuum assist. Quite normal and I've heard it in many a Lexus.

Rear this could be many things. Possibly the rear driveshaft needs lubing. Dealers are terrible at doing this. Could be the spare not firmly seated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom