Noob says hi (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I've been lurking since last June and thought I would finally join. My previous ride, an AWD Chevy Astro, got T-boned back then and I came across this 97 LX 450

100MEDIA_IMAG05081.jpg

It cost pretty much the same as the insurance paid on the van. Got to say I like it but miss the extra space in the van. Love the ride though. PO only had it for a few months and said he replaced the radiator. I don't know if or how hot it got before he caught it.

I did drive it from western ND back home to East TN over the holidays and then back again with no issues other than a brake pad running low on the way back home. 1600+ one way plus lots of driving while home. I think it had 189K when I got it and I've put about 10K on it since with no issues other than the brake pad. I did get the exhaust replaced and some new tires while back in TN. The new custom shop exhaust triggered the CEL which I've already researched here but have not attempted to correct yet. I swear I'm getting worse miles since the new exhaust but I think my first leak was at the Catalytic Convertor so that makes sense. Dang scoria gravel roads and bitter cold winters make it a bit difficult to work on. I really need to go through the base lining stuff but I've been lucky so far.

Pretty much a light DD as I've got a work supplied vehicle so it is a grocery getter and a weekender more or less.

I probably won't be doing anything build wise to this one but who knows. It does have a little damage on the drivers side where allegedly the wind blew the door open and bent in the front fender a bit. I wouldn't mind fixing that but it doesn't effect the ride. You can tell the front bumper is not exactly in the right alignment and there is a little rust on the lift gate.

I took it by Pep Boys to get the oil changed before I headed back to ND as I always do because they will normally try to come up with a list of anything suspect they can fix. I'm shocked they didn't diagnose my breaks but most everything checked out. The rubber air intake hose is duct taped up which is all they tried to sell me beyond tires. I believe I've seen posts on here for people that source these such things? Is that just to support the local community or are price factors involved? Maybe I'll do a search when things warm up for good this year.

I have been keeping my eyes open for a cheaper one that I might be interested in beefing up a little though. Or at least I can have a spare if I decide to tear into anything or one needs fixing.

Nice find!

Have you hit it with fluid film yet? Watch the classifieds - sometimes you can get somebody's used armor for a good price.

PPTC has another member. Congrats.

:flipoff2:

My best guess is your rubber intake has a hole in it, that hole triggers the ECM to set a check engine code, and lights your CEL. So that may be why they duck taped it, to keep the CEL from turning on.

Last edited:
Nice find!

Have you hit it with fluid film yet? Watch the classifieds - sometimes you can get somebody's used armor for a good price.

I don't believe I am familiar with "fluid film". Can you elaborate?

It's on Amazon or you can go to Lowe's. It's rust prevention. You apply it periodically and it's supposed to seep into all the hard to reach areas - it's less work than wiping the underside down with your used motor oil.

My best guess is your rubber intake has a hole in it, that hole triggers the ECM to set a check engine code, and lights your CEL. So that may be why they duck taped it, to keep the CEL from turning on.

Well, I'm not sure but this was the process of my self diagnosis. The exhaust guy said my entire rear O2 sensor was gone. He put in a custom exhaust which I should have gotten more involved in but did not. I started her up in the parking lot and the CEL light came on pretty soon after. So I get the guys to take a look and they reset it and said to come back if it came back on and they would try something else. It came back on within five minutes and I never made it back to them. I did, however, research here and during my stay in TN and felt confident that the new exhaust not being as effective as OEM triggered the CEL.

The fix which I have not tried yet was to get a dummy sensor or try installing multiple gaskets to move the sensor farther out from its original position therefore reducing its measurements back to the original exhaust system measurements. Not tested yet but it works in my head.

I didn't really get into my truck until the second year I owned it. I've done so much s*** with it and it handled it all so well. When folks get stuck I'm the first call. It's a truck worth the effort and the product + knowledge support is terrific.

For relatively little money you can have a very capable vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom