Noob here. TRD questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting an 08 or 09 Crew Shortbed with an eye toward overlanding in the future. My question is... TRD? If so, OR? The OR's seem to be hard to find. If I plan on building it up over a year or two does it matter? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, you guys are awesome!

My wife and I just bought our '09 DCSB 4x4 (Not a TRD) last year and are super happy with it so far. We are doing the whole overlanding thing as well (Slowly but surely. It's the Red Devil thread). I would have liked a few of the features the TRD has but as long it was a 4x4 I could deal without having the rest of the options. With that said I'm not super worried about the locker. We don't plan on doing super hard stuff at this point but if you are then it would be a great option to get.

Although my Tacoma is a TRD model with the Bilstein suspension and a rear E-locker I think a good argument can be made for buying a standard spec 4wd Tacoma and carefully building it with aftermarket suspension and an aftermarket selectable locking diff.

The TRD Bilstein suspension works great on rough dirt roads at speed. The E-locker works good, but the engagement system sucks (I'm sure it was mandated by a corporate liability lawyer.)

I say a "careful" build because there are lots of "off road kits" out there, but very few professionally designed suspension systems designed for high speed rough road driving. Installing a selectable differential like the Air Locker wired so you can control when to engage it would be great.

Regards,

Alan

Although my Tacoma is a TRD model with the Bilstein suspension and a rear E-locker I think a good argument can be made for buying a standard spec 4wd Tacoma and carefully building it with aftermarket suspension and an aftermarket selectable locking diff.

The TRD Bilstein suspension works great on rough dirt roads at speed. The E-locker works good, but the engagement system sucks (I'm sure it was mandated by a corporate liability lawyer.)

I say a "careful" build because there are lots of "off road kits" out there, but very few professionally designed suspension systems designed for high speed rough road driving. Installing a selectable differential like the Air Locker wired so you can control when to engage it would be great.

Regards,

Alan
Much appreciated!

I have a 07 TRD OR DC and love it. Make sure you check the frame, especially by the cats and by the trany cross member. If it has been treated the goo is just hiding the rust. Google Toyota 3.4 billion dollar class action. The truck is virtually undriveable in any amount snow in two wheel drive. Even on wet pavement that one wheel regularly loses traction. For that reason, I wish I would of gone with the TRD Sport that came with the limited slip. But my dad has one and I hate driving it. The ride is squishy and it feels like it's geared higher. I never use the locker but I do engage every once in awhile just to make sure it works. I would say, that if you will be regularly driving in conditions that would require a locker then go with the OR. If not, you will certainly be happier with one that has the limited slip. It's just all around more useful for wet and snowy conditions. Just my opinion...

Agree with the others you'll wind up replacing the suspension to accommodate larger tires to fit your own needs. I was after the TRD OR model for the elocker and downhill assist the pre-crawl control features. I've changed the suspension twice and wish I would have just gone with the ICON right from the start. I was in a built 80 for 10 years before moving into the Tacoma and its very capable right off the lot but of course we have to improve on everything and make it our own right? I've also built this one up for Overlanding and its doing well. Best of luck on your shopping.

Agree with the others you'll wind up replacing the suspension to accommodate larger tires to fit your own needs. I was after the TRD OR model for the elocker and downhill assist the pre-crawl control features. I've changed the suspension twice and wish I would have just gone with the ICON right from the start. I was in a built 80 for 10 years before moving into the Tacoma and its very capable right off the lot but of course we have to improve on everything and make it our own right? I've also built this one up for Overlanding and its doing well. Best of luck on your shopping.
Thanks for all the input. Ended up getting a 4th gen 4runner. Love it!

Thanks for all the input. Ended up getting a 4th gen 4runner. Love it!

Nice :cheers: good choice. Thats what I was after as well a trail edition 12/13 but my nephew bit off more than he could chew with the loaded TRD OR Taco it had everything I needed for an overland build 50,000 miles so I helped him out and went with it. Got spoiled with the versatility of the 80 in a SUV configuration its close with the Taco and shell but not exactly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom