Non-winch Recovery Gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I keep finding more options for everything I buy, so I figured I'd ask some questions this time. Getting my 2015 GX ready for some camping this summer. It's a significant upgrade from my 2005 Forester, and my main goal now is to be able to drive trails/forest service roads that I should not have been on in the Forester. I need some "basic" recovery gear and I'm looking for US made options. Several companies seem like they make essentially the same things for about the same prices, I'm hoping for any real-world experience. Looking at pre-made kits, I'm thinking tow hitch recovery point, a few steel shackles, soft shackle, static tow strap, a kinetic rope and some traction/recovery boards. The "kits" don't seem to include everything, but they do all seem to have a $100-$150 bag as part of the cost.

I have an Agency 6 tow hitch recovery point/shackle on the way. I have a Bubba Rope kinetic rope and soft shackle in my cart.

Any reason to go with another kinetic rope/soft shackle option?
Recommendations for the tow strap, steel shackles, or anything else?
Should I stop looking at other recovery board options and just go with the MaxTrax?
Do I need to upgrade the front recovery/tow points?
What would you all do if you were starting from scratch?

Do you go out by yourself? 'cause none of the above mentioned stuff except max tracks well help if you do. I'd add Hi-lift jack (and appropriate accessories), folding shovel, and hand bow saw. If you're always with others you can share a lot of that.

Last edited:
There are a lot of reputable companies out there. Given the purpose of recovery gear I would stick to US made for shackles/ropes/etc (or Australian stuff like ARB). You don't need to buy the most expensive thing just because its the most expensive, but "you get what you pay for" can be a dangerous lesson to learn with cheapo recovery gear. I would get a regular tow strap along with the kinetic rope and a 2nd soft shackle.

I have X-Bull recovery boards that you can find on Amazon for like $100. They got a buddy's Tacoma out of an icy mud pit just fine but they don't stack as flat as some of the more expensive boards.

Before I had a metal front bumper, I had rated recovery points on the front. By shape, the factory front hooks appear to be a tie down for transport rather than something you can use to be yanked out of a mudhole. I could be mistaken.

As mentioned above, adding a HighLift jack and several sections of recovery line will get you out of most anything, albeit, slowly.
If you do plan on any type of recovery using a HighLift and don't have a winch, you may consider a winch 100' of synthetic line in case whatever you have to pull from is not real close by. Having only two 20' recovery straps will limit how far you can pull from.
Also, if you don't have it, get the Multi Terrain and Crawl Control added to your rig. It's relatively cheap insurance if you don't have front and rear lockers.
There's an entire thread about them here: 460-Add Crawl Control (CC) and Multi Terrain Select (MTS) to 2010-2019 models/all trims

As mentioned above, adding a HighLift jack and several sections of recovery line will get you out of most anything, albeit, slowly.
If you do plan on any type of recovery using a HighLift and don't have a winch, you may consider a winch 100' of synthetic line in case whatever you have to pull from is not real close by. Having only two 20' recovery straps will limit how far you can pull from.
Also, if you don't have it, get the Multi Terrain and Crawl Control added to your rig. It's relatively cheap insurance if you don't have front and rear lockers.
There's an entire thread about them here: 460-Add Crawl Control (CC) and Multi Terrain Select (MTS) to 2010-2019 models/all trims
Thanks. I hadn't considered all the capabilities of a HighLift jack. CC and MTS were the first things I did. Tested both out last weekend in southern Oregon. We were the only vehicle at the snow covered trailhead. Passed a Grand Cherokee, Outback and Corolla parked 1.5 miles down the road. Started slipping in 4 Hi, hit a few buttons, and made it the rest of the way with no issue.

ActionTrax is a nice American made company. They will be replacing my broken X Bulls.

I'll plug my friend Brennan's soft shackle receiver adapter as an alternative to the hitch receiver shackle mount, though you said you already ordered one. Neat product that's unique to the market (bet we'll see lots of cheap chinese copies soon though).

Reactions: r2m
I keep finding more options for everything I buy, so I figured I'd ask some questions this time. Getting my 2015 GX ready for some camping this summer. It's a significant upgrade from my 2005 Forester, and my main goal now is to be able to drive trails/forest service roads that I should not have been on in the Forester. I need some "basic" recovery gear and I'm looking for US made options. Several companies seem like they make essentially the same things for about the same prices, I'm hoping for any real-world experience. Looking at pre-made kits, I'm thinking tow hitch recovery point, a few steel shackles, soft shackle, static tow strap, a kinetic rope and some traction/recovery boards. The "kits" don't seem to include everything, but they do all seem to have a $100-$150 bag as part of the cost.

I have an Agency 6 tow hitch recovery point/shackle on the way. I have a Bubba Rope kinetic rope and soft shackle in my cart.

Any reason to go with another kinetic rope/soft shackle option?
Recommendations for the tow strap, steel shackles, or anything else?
Should I stop looking at other recovery board options and just go with the MaxTrax?
Do I need to upgrade the front recovery/tow points?
What would you all do if you were starting from scratch?
See DM.

Rhino USA has some gear you may be interested in.

You may already know, the GX460 is already quite capable at driving on trails/forest service roads that you should not have been on in the Forester, and getting you back, without all the added gear. ;)

I recently replaced the OEM fuel skid (~20% coverage) with a full size skid. RCI is having a sale.

Congrats on the GX.

Rhino USA has some gear you may be interested in.

You may already know, the GX460 is already quite capable at driving on trails/forest service roads that you should not have been on in the Forester, and getting you back, without all the added gear. ;)

I recently replaced the OEM fuel skid (~20% coverage) with a full size skid. RCI is having a sale.

Congrats on the GX.
Thanks. Loving the GX so far. Wish it hadn't taken a plugged up catalytic converter and upcoming emissions test to make the move from the Forester. I should have done this sooner. It's much more capable and I'll feel a lot more confident deciding to cross that washed out road on 3 wheels. Stuff like that did happen and my knuckles are still white from it.

I've read @r2m's recommended upgrade steps several times and I plan on getting there, just want to identify a need before dropping $1,300 on the Bud Built complete armor system I've been eying.

I've always carried a shovel and a set of tools. I was largely looking at this as an addition to those tools since it's not a lot of gear or expense. I haven't found myself stuck much or very bad, but a set of traction boards seemed like a better option than floor mats and having a passer-by help me push.

Appreciate all the info and suggestions.

Thanks. Loving the GX so far. Wish it hadn't taken a plugged up catalytic converter and upcoming emissions test to make the move from the Forester. I should have done this sooner. It's much more capable and I'll feel a lot more confident deciding to cross that washed out road on 3 wheels. Stuff like that did happen and my knuckles are still white from it.

I've read @r2m's recommended upgrade steps several times and I plan on getting there, just want to identify a need before dropping $1,300 on the Bud Built complete armor system I've been eying.

I've always carried a shovel and a set of tools. I was largely looking at this as an addition to those tools since it's not a lot of gear or expense. I haven't found myself stuck much or very bad, but a set of traction boards seemed like a better option than floor mats and having a passer-by help me push.

FWIW skid plates are relatively cheap insurance whether you're on stock suspension or lifted. I'd start with a fuel tank skid if your OEM front plate is in decent shape and you don't want to drop $$$$ all at once for a complete system.

FWIW skid plates are relatively cheap insurance whether you're on stock suspension or lifted. I'd start with a fuel tank skid if your OEM front plate is in decent shape and you don't want to drop $$$$ all at once for a complete system.
I second this, mine are gouged after only a few hard outings. That's a little misleading, since you actually lose a little bit of clearance with them, but still, there's some expensive dangly bits under there, and it's pretty good peace-of-mind that when you land with a thud and a bang, that you don't stress about what you landed on. Just keep going...

Have you spent some time looking at this sticky post: Ultimate Tool Kit (carry on for off road)
Albeit, you'd need a tractor trailer to haul everything on that list, but it's a great repository of suggestions for everything from first aid, survival tools and recovery gear.
It's kind of like a buffet, pick and choose what you like (or can afford) and have space for.

Have you spent some time looking at this sticky post: Ultimate Tool Kit (carry on for off road)
Albeit, you'd need a tractor trailer to haul everything on that list, but it's a great repository of suggestions for everything from first aid, survival tools and recovery gear.
It's kind of like a buffet, pick and choose what you like (or can afford) and have space for.
I used to think you were nuts for carrying a chainsaw, but my path ended in this the other day, and now I understand. I have a bow saw now... There were a bunch more over the rise.
20220220_171443.jpg

I used to think you were nuts for carrying a chainsaw, but my path ended in this the other day, and now I understand. I have a bow saw now... There were a bunch more over the rise.View attachment 2960905
I was watching some guys travel the Kentucky Adventure Trail and they had chainsaws that saw some use. I never would have thought of it either. So I picked up a Dewalt chain 20v chain saw and some 6ah batteries. Works pretty good and cut some small trees the first time out.

I've looked at that sticky, but didn't find much in the way of recovery gear. I'm waiting for you to create that post. ;)

Which brings up the point that this list is not intended for recovery, just when something goes sideways in the middle of nowhere.

Thinking about it, I think I may create another post for suggested recovery gear.

I agree and I will get there. My GX had never been off pavement before I got it. OEM skid doesn't have a scratch. Seems like options are limited for front skids with oil access, and I agree that you'd probably want to drop it more frequently than every 10k miles. I just don't want to have to drop it to change oil since there are options. Then there are potential issues with brand compatibility where plates meet, added weight will require a suspension upgrade at some point, etc. I have an idea of where I want to go with skids and suspension, I'm just not there yet. I'm not sure that precludes me from putting a recovery point in my hitch and some traction boards in with my tools.

You're 100% correct, and I hope that in a few months you'll all help me make those decisions too.

I used to think you were nuts for carrying a chainsaw, but my path ended in this the other day, and now I understand. I have a bow saw now... There were a bunch more over the rise.View attachment 2960905
LOL, in the PNW we carry a chainsaw most of the time. Generally safe not to July, August and September.

Reactions: r2m
In all honestly if traveling solo a winch is the way to go. Alternatives? You can rig up a hi-lift jack or come-along to "winch" your vehicle out if stuck but it is a long process. Traction boards only do so much. Straps, shackles, etc. by themselves are useless without another vehicle in the right location.

Before any of that stuff, I would invest in good tires, a rapid tire deflator (ARB) and a decent Viair portable compressor. Before pulling out straps and shackles your first move should be to deflate tires to get traction.

Chainsaws are great, I carry one. The right axe will work just as well but is slower and provides more of a workout. Often you can simply go around trees, or pull them out of the way with a strap. (one situation where a strap is useful if you are solo)

My "minimalist" (or cheap) recovery gear package would include the following;
- 48" hi-lift
- axe & small sharpener
- shovel & small pick
- Tree strap
- 2x bow-shackles
- 16"x16" sheet of ¾ plywood
- Compressor

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom