Noisy Front Suspension -- BP51 --thinking about selling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2013 LC with BP51 coilers and APC front upper control arms. They have been on the truck since May 2016. I'm running stock wheels, and 285-65 KO2s. No other accessories are on the vehicle, and I use it, embarrassingly, very very mildly. I live in Central Florida so the only offroading are occassional dirt roads. I installed the suspension and tires, honestly for look and ride quality.

Within about 2 months of the install, the front suspension began making a consistent creaking noise on compression and rebound. Speed bumps, dirt parking lots, uneven pavement at cruising speed. It seems to be mainly the passenger side, but sometimes is also the driver side.

I've had all the bolts tightened to spec multiple times, had the UCA greased multiple times, and just recently had the lower control arm bushings, passenger side hub assembly, and a ball joint replaced to attempt to get the noise to go away.

Needless to say--I've about had it. The suspension noise is driving me nuts to the point that I'm about to return the truck that I previously loved back to stock, just so I don't sell it.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to the source of the noise? Is there a value for lightly used BP 51?

If you've isolated the noise to the shocks then call ARB or search on here more as that's been a hot topic with those running that setup. My SPC ucas squeak every so often and I'll grease them (ball joint and bushings) liberally so the noise goes away.

Did you by chance tighten the main UCA bolt before you put the truck back on the ground? If so your squeaking could be coming from a bind around your UCA bushings. Worth thinking about. Good luck

If it is from the bp51's I know Mitch over at arb is swapping mine out. I emailed him as mine are brand new in the box and he sent me a label and we're gonna swap them out for the updated set before I put them on.

Sent you a PM. Call me

Clunking is a known problem with the BP-51s (I had it also and got ARB to buy them back). Rumor has it that they are working on fixing it through a valve change.

Several people have also had fluid leaks, myself included, that were not associated with the dreaded clunk. Not sure if the valve change will fix this as well.

Good luck.

Would anyone who bought the first version of OME BP51s buy the second updated version? I am debating between these and Icon shocks.

I have the new version of the struts in the garage.
I'll have an answer for you Next Monday if all is good.

I have the new version of the struts in the garage.
I'll have an answer for you Next Monday if all is good.
Archie,

My BP51 have started the clunk as well. I talked with Erik today at ARB and they are going to send me new front struts when they get some more back in stock.. Erik was wonderful to deal with and has wonderful customer service.

I am interested in how you new shocks work. Let me know..

I'll known in the morning after installation and an alignment.

I'll known in the morning after installation and an alignment.
Did they send you new springs with your struts or are you using the old ones?

Archie,

My BP51 have started the clunk as well. I talked with Erik today at ARB and they are going to send me new front struts when they get some more back in stock.. Erik was wonderful to deal with and has wonderful customer service.

I am interested in how you new shocks work. Let me know..

Talked to ARB yesterday. They are currently working on cold-weather-induced clunk and a solution is pending.

They assured me that--meanwhile--the clunk poses no functional/catastrophic danger...but replacements will be on the way as soon as the remedy is worked out.

Talked to ARB yesterday. They are currently working on cold-weather-induced clunk and a solution is pending.

They assured me that--meanwhile--the clunk poses no functional/catastrophic danger...but replacements will be on the way as soon as the remedy is worked out.
My clunk started in September and has been getting worse. I don't think mine is due to the cold weather... I will say that ARB has outstanding customer service...

Last edited:
They sent me a pair of new Struts as well, just waiting for them to arrive to the local shop so I can get them installed.

I don't mean that it's cold-weather only. -Just that because it seems to be accentuated by cold weather (thickening oil?), they are working on that before final solution.
Thank you for the info.

How are the new struts working?

I just received new BP-51 rear struts from ARB/FedEx today...but I'm going to wait until the fronts arrive before installing.

One obvious change to the rears: The manner of attachment of the rock guard is completely different--their answer to their tendency to come loose/fall off.

Last edited:
I just received new BP-51 rear struts from ARB/FedEx today...but I'm going to wait until the fronts arrive before installing.

One obvious change to the rears: The manner of attachment of the rock guard is completely different--their answer to their tendency to come loose/fall off.
Thank you for the update. Please keep me posted once you get everything installed.

Well, had the new struts installed last week, and guess what the Clunk is still there, very bummed.
When I picked up the LC no Clunk but the next day I have the clunk back on both side just like before and it's been there since.

The only difference is that the temperature dropped the day after I pickup the truck.

Don't know what to do next, throw them and get back to stock, keep them for a while and switch to Kings or Icon's. or wait for warmer temperature to decide?

Any advices?

Well, had the new struts installed last week, and guess what the Clunk is still there, very bummed.
When I picked up the LC no Clunk but the next day I have the clunk back on both side just like before and it's been there since.

The only difference is that the temperature dropped the day after I pickup the truck.

Don't know what to do next, throw them and get back to stock, keep them for a while and switch to Kings or Icon's. or wait for warmer temperature to decide?

Any advices?

They are still working on that issue--specifically as it relates to cold temperatures. I'm waiting until they are done before receiving my fronts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom