No Spark or Fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is an update to an earlier post
Driving 97 Land Cruiser and the square orange light above the dash volt meter came on, I assumed an alternator problem continued driving home. Made one stop and left vehicle at idle for about 5 minutes, it died and would not start, it would turn over but CEL did not come on when the key was turned on.

I have followed the recommendations on the " Emergency Troubleshooting Procedures" that is posted on the IH8MUD site

1. Checked all fuses with ohm meter all good.

2. Checked 3 wire fusible link, it checked good, installed new one anyway

3. Replaced EFI relay under the hood, with key turned on I can feel the relay clicking when plugged in.
*CEL light would not light and still have no spark but starter still turns over.
*I put a jumper between the normally open contacts were the EFI relay plugs in, the CEL light now comes on but does not start.

4. I removed the fuel regulator bypass hose no fuel came out when ignition is turned on

5. Headlights, Turn Signals and Taillights do not come on this would normally indicate that that the Main Fusible link is bad but the radio comes on which is on the Main Fusible Link.

6. I have pulled apart and cleaned all wire plugs in the driver side kick panel

I believe the normal dash lights and indicators come on when the key is turned on except the CEL light

I plugged in a OB2 reader and get the message that the cable is not plugged in. Were do you check to see if the computer is getting power

The only way to get the CEL to come on is jumping the normally open contacts were the EFI relay plugs in and sometimes I have to switch the ignition switch on and off several times for it to stay on. Could be the ignition switch is bad ??

Thank you for the help

Does the OBD2 reader work when the normally open contacts for the efi relay are jumpered?

"Does the OBD2 reader work when the normally open contacts for the efi relay are jumped?"

I just checked it
With the contacts jumped the OB2 still does not read, error message indicates the reader is not connected.
With the jumper installed I have to switch the ignition on and off several times before the CEL comes on
Should the CEL go out when the starter is engaged, mine does

Thank you for responding

FYI: Step 4 in your original post... NOTE: Fuel pump will *NOT* pump with ignition to on (prior to start/run), it will only pump when cranking and/or engine is running... This is common with many toyota vehicles.

Seems you have an ECU/electrical issue right now if the OBD2 reader can't make a connection to the ECU.

Step 3 is suspicious. If you changed the relay and it clicks (maybe an adjacent relay is actually clicking...) then assuming it is a functional relay and the correct one, why does a wire link across it behave differently (CEL lights) versus with the new relay?

cheers,
george.

FYI: Step 4 in your original post... NOTE: Fuel pump will *NOT* pump with ignition to on (prior to start/run), it will only pump when cranking and/or engine is running... This is common with many toyota vehicles.
* I also checked for fuel flow while cranking, will double check in the morning

Seems you have an ECU/electrical issue right now if the OBD2 reader can't make a connection to the ECU.
*I have to turn the ignition switch on and off a few times for the CEL to come on with the jumper in place.
Not sure why Headlights, Turn Signals, Taillights and Brake Lights do not come on. I would not think they would require the ECU
I have not looked into the lights not working yet.
Were does the ECU get power?

Step 3 is suspicious. If you changed the relay and it clicks (maybe an adjacent relay is actually clicking...) then assuming it is a functional relay and the correct one, why does a wire link across it behave differently (CEL lights) versus with the new relay?
*I am also confused why CEL lights with a jumper and not with a new functioning relay, I could feel it clicking/operating

The alternator discharge light came on while it was still running before it died

Thank you again

Might be worth focusing on getting headlights/tail lights etc working reliably. Following the various connections/wires using the EWD (the free '96 copy is 'close enough' for your '97.

It seems like you have a variety of issues going on (or at least symptoms) and need to pick one problem (lights is rather simple) and track it down. That might shed some light (tee hee) on your other problems...

Maybe your alternator/regulator died (shorted diodes etc) or maybe just brush failure.

I would verify that the 'new' fusible links are INTACT and securely connected to the battery and the 'black box'.

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom