No reverse lights or dash indicator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

check your fuses. Usually this happen when you have a short in a trailer.

Cheers

When you say reverse lights... are you referring to the actual reverse lights on the tail lights? or just the cluster?
I ask, because my actual reverse lights have recently stopped working and wouldn't ya know... my PRND2L are out most of the time too!
Someone please get under there and clean the offending connectors and report back... otherwise I'll get under there in a few weeks... I suppose I can easily see the correlation to the reverse lights activating when the switch reads 'R'...

Landspeeder,
My issues with this are for sure in that connector, I found a broken, black wire in there that I need to fix. Before I tried to get it apart, my dash light and back-up lights were intermittent, now that the wire is broke, they never work.
Daisy

When you say reverse lights... are you referring to the actual reverse lights on the tail lights? or just the cluster?
I ask, because my actual reverse lights have recently stopped working and wouldn't ya know... my PRND2L are out most of the time too!
Someone please get under there and clean the offending connectors and report back... otherwise I'll get under there in a few weeks... I suppose I can easily see the correlation to the reverse lights activating when the switch reads 'R'...

same here; just happened this weekend, all my PRND2L lights are out- in the dash just yesterday and in the console (@ the selector) intermittently for a year now. not a huge deal 'cept it's dark now every time I drive it...

btw, 228K mi, third owner (1.5 yrs), good maint history, FWIW...

I had this problem awhile back and I adjusted the cable actuator thingy ( can't remember the name of it)
If I remember it is on the drivers side of the tranny and has 2 bolts that you loosen to adjust the unit.
I adjusted it alittle bit and my R dash indicator and reverse light boths work fine now.

I had this problem awhile back and I adjusted the cable actuator thingy ( can't remember the name of it)
If I remember it is on the drivers side of the tranny and has 2 bolts that you loosen to adjust the unit.
I adjusted it alittle bit and my R dash indicator and reverse light boths work fine now.

Were all of your dash letters out? or just the 'R'? I'm chasing two demons apparently, because when my P ND2L are in fact working... my R is not... however most often, none are working...

So you loosened and slightly rotated the Park/Neutral switch? that worked?

I have no R or D light. All others work in the corrosponding shifter location. I also want to know about how you adjusted the switch.

Yes I Rotated the park/neutral switch.
My D light does not work regardless as does alot of other folks here.
I noticed one day that I had no reverse lights and that the R was not lighting up either.
Did some searching here on mud and played with the park/neutral switch and my R light worked as well as my reverse lights. They are some how all control off of the contacts in the park/neutral switch at the tranny my guess is that if it is off just a little they will not work. Also coupled with 15 years worth of shifting the contacts could get out of sinc a little bit I would guess.

This is how I did it:
Start rig.
Apply e-brake and block tires as well.
Put rig in reverse and get under rig and adjust P/N switch just a little bit a snug down bolt.
Check to see if reverse lights are on and R on dash is on.
It took a little bit of back and forth but all is good now.

All of my other dash lights were working at the time ie. P N 2 and L
Obviously no D because that has not worked ever since I bought the rig awhile back.

Good luck,
it was that easy for me hope this can help you all.

Mtrdrms,

Your D light is probably never going to work.
That is a common glich with alot of the folks here on MUD.
Try what I posted above for your R light and your reverse lights
Good Luck!

Also part of other post for safty I also took a 2x4 and wedged it between the seat and the brake pedal depressing the brake pedal down hard as well.

Yeah, have someone in the truck holding down the brake... I know a guy who got killed under a rig before... unfortunately his son was with him and watched it happen... be safe.

Eric,
Have you noticed when your R light is not working are your reverse lights coming on?

Eric,
Have you noticed when your R light is not working are your reverse lights coming on?

No clue actually... just noticed that neither work...

Wife's truck had the same issue. Trailer wiring box was frotzed.

Wife's truck had the same issue. Trailer wiring box was frotzed.

So both reverse lights and dash lights were out and correcting the trailer box fixed it with out crawling under to the plug or Park/Neutrral switch?
See that was my gut feeling honestly because I lost my rear side marker light only to find that the tool bag in the quarter panel had pulled the wiring out... and the trailer harness is back there swinging like mad... The way stuff gets jostled back there... i kinda still suspect something back there is the culprit.
I'm an electrical idiot... seriously... so I'll have to get some help regarding checking those wires back there...

Trailer harnesses can be a pain in the you know what if they were done halfass like most I have seen.
Buddy had nothing but problems with his trailer harness we ripped it out and started from scratch to get it right plus very little room to work back there as well.
I am no electraical guru either it was a pain in the ass.
I still say try the Prk/Neutral switch that is by far the easiest to deal with and then work from there if that does not work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom