No oil pressure indicated at gauge after starter replacement help, please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.foodrenegade.com
In a few days I'm leaving for a 2 week trip through Mexico (with several days of fairly remote off-road excursion...). Any help sorting this before I go is appreciated.

I replaced my starter this week on my 1999 Land Cruiser, and now the gauge in the dash indicates no oil pressure. While I was in there with the starter I also replaced all the heater hoses, their "T" junctions, spark plugs, PCV & grommet, fuel filter, and a few other similar small and unrelated things.

I verified I have oil pressure with the correct tool. When I test the sending unit at the oil filter with my multimeter it seems to be switching either "on or off" with no RPM-related sweeping voltage changes. if I ground that wire at the sending unit the dash gauge moves correctly, indicating high pressure, then sweeps back to 'none' when the wire is no longer grounded. The needle on the gauge otherwise does not move at all under any conditions, and there is no difference shown when the wire at the sender is connected or disconnected. I bought a replacement sending unit and it demonstrates the same behavior as the old one.
Things I think might be the source of the problem:
--Is there more than one Oil Pressure Sending switch? *shrugs*
--It's possible I didn't get a wire re-connected (seems unlikely, as I carefully labeled everything, removing labels as they were reconnected)
--Maybe damaged something while it was all apart and I was standing on top of the motor...
--The gauge was not working previously and I didn't notice, though this also seems unlikely.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

20180713_111753.jpg

Last edited:
check to make sure you reestablished the ground connection near those T's. you probably took it loose to get it out of the way and forgot to reconnect. the oil pressure problem could be a bad ground. i like your heater T fix.

Can anyone verify there is only ONE Oil Pressure Sending unit for the gauge -- I am poking at the correct one (at the oil filter), and it goes directly from the Sending unit to the gauge (not through the computer first, for instance)?

Last edited:
i can't verify. but i can't imagine the ECM has anything to do with how the dash indicator reads. probably just need a new sender

Unplug the oil pressure wire from the sender and connect it to ground and start the engine, if it reads high on the dash you need a new sender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom