No cats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 91 that needed work when put it on jack stands notice that it didn't have any cats does it need cats to run right (live in fl so no emissions test) any help.... thanks

As long as the O2 sensors are there you dont need your cats.

Do you have a check engine light?

Your engine will run just fine either with or without them; possible better since there is less restriction now.

Mine had the cats, I cut them off, ran good without them, o2 sensors where mounted before them.
now I am cutting out the engine:hmm:

Mine had the cats, I cut them off, ran good without them, o2 sensors where mounted before them.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I think it will run pretty poorly after you cut out the engine...

I think he's going old school, Fred Flinstone style. :)

Thanks for the replies and yes, the check engine lite is on. Where should I look for the O2 sensors? Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies and yes, the check engine lite is on. Where should I look for the O2 sensors? Thanks again.

I have a 95, so different motor means I can't look at mine and tell you. They will be before the cats, or at least before where the cats were, and after the exhaust manifold. There is a chance the o2 sensor/s are bad, could explain why the cat was removed. A bad o2 can cause a rich mix and over heat the cat.

you can space out the rear o2 sensor, i dont know where but they sell it online. also car will have better fuel economy without cats and run better.

It will run better. I like them just so I don't smell all exhausty

Sent from my Nexus S using IH8MUD

I am doing a v8 conversion, hence "cutting out the engine"
anyhow, there should be two o2 sensors on top of the exhaust pipe in front of the converters, about under you feet when you are sitting in the drivers seat, My cruiser ran a lot better without the cats and it sounded pretty good to for stock exhaust.

Cats are a "newer" emissions requirement, not a performance requirement - actually the opposite - the o2 sensors are pre-cat on the exhaust config so as long as they are in place you should not have a mixture issue. If you go fully custom exhaust, be sure the tech doing the job runs the pipes with the o2s as close to original as possible. - not easy to reconfigure the mixture manually!

By Federal Law nearly all (or all) vehicles manufactured since 1975 have come with catalytic converters as part of Federally mandated emissions control systems. The 2nd O2 sensor came along with OBDII. It is a violation of the Clean Air Act of 1990 under Federal Law to remove (and not replace) factory emissions parts such as catalytic converters. Meaning, any car made before 1975 which came with catalytic converters (or any other emissions-related items) must be kept in an equal configuration. Any vehicle after 1975 obviously must be kept in factory or equivalent configuration.

That's the law as I understand it after a quick search. Going from OEM Cats to High Flow Cats, for example, seems either extremely safe or totally okay.

Catalytic converters turn some of the bad stuff in gasoline exhaust into less-bad stuff. Catalytic converter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the other hand, obviously this is not the EPA's #1 priority and people's results may vary in real life when it comes to success at operating their vehicle outside the law. I recently looked into tinting my windows. The first few people I talked to stated up front that they would not tint my windows beyond what the law allowed. I wasn't even looking for illegal percentage tint. I also found a guy who said the cops don't care and he would put any tint on. He even encouraged me to use illegal tint. In the end, I did what people on 'Mud do and I just got the 35% bronze on my front windows which is also well within the state requirement. I probably would have been willing to go a little below the 20% on the front windows if it had all worked out, but that's another story. My tint guy would only tint windows by removing them and the seals were too expensive to do that all around the LC.

Choosing to operate your vehicle illegally with a non-compliant exhaust system would be a personal choice. It may be a low risk decision, but it's not a 0% risk decision. You are assuming the legal risks in that case, as well as anyone who helps you violate the law. You probably want some input on that topic from people in your immediate area.

I doubt removing the Cats would ever be an issue for me in Montana. But, if I get an EMS Powered or other kind of new exhaust, I'll probably get at least one Cat so I feel a little better about my contribution to global warming (or whatever).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom